Hello All,

I am a Canadian living in Qatar. When then WiFi Playbook came out, i bought it from Canada a few good months before it came out here (i am a blackberry addict and could not just wait for a local release).

Now i want to buy the 4G. But i'm wondering, since its only available through carriers in Canada, will it be locked to there network, will i be able to use it elsewhere. and if not, will there be a way to unlock it?

My other question is (might be a stupid question but would appreciate assistance from some of you more technically-educated folks) since we dont have 4G network here yet (3G/2G only so far), will i still be able to stick a sim card in it and access our 3G network here?

Im about to make this purchase here soon, and im really excited to get rid of this MiFi (hotspot) that i keep carrying around with me.

Thanks and happy blackberrying everyone!!!!
    08-30-12 06:52 AM
    .... so o you're using a sim card in your playbook to access your 3g network? Sounds to me like you're a spammer setting up home - you should do your homework next time. Lol
    08-30-12 07:10 AM
    Wow, I must not be as cynical as some on here lol where anywhere in his post did you get spamming? It seems like an honest question to me. Since the new PlayBook is 4G/LTE he is simply wondering if it will work on his native (Qatar in case you missed it) 3G network.

According to a website I trust, the 4G/LTE PlayBook will work on the following 3G networks: HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 800. So if your carrier in Qatar uses one of these, and provides you with a micro-sim, then yes, it will work.

Instead of jumping on someone and calling them a "spammer" why not at least try to help out. I highly doubt that he set up and account in July of 2011 only to wait until August of 2012, 13 months, to have his first post be "spam" sheesh! And if he did, then I apologize and I guess its time for me to open my eyes to all the spammers of the world.
    08-30-12 07:55 AM
    As far as being locked to a network or unlocking, I haven't even thought of that to be honest. I'm sure there is a way to unlock it if it is locked. I do know that they can be "off contract" from Bell, Rogers and Telus, so no worries about being tied to a contract for 3 years.
    08-30-12 08:03 AM
    Guess you've never been a moderator at a popular sites - you'd be amazed at the extremes ppl will go to get their message across.
    The statement '... will I STILL be able to stick a sim card ' is what makes me wonder.
    08-30-12 08:04 AM
    I have, a few actually, but again, nothing jumped at me about this being "spam" I guess we just have different views and thats cool. Like I said, I apologize if this turns out to be spam.

Friends?
    StanWiz likes this.
    08-30-12 08:10 AM
    Of course - just different way of looking at things.
    08-30-12 08:15 AM
    Well, StanWiz, i understand your concern, but i am not a spammer, by saying "will i still be able to stick a sim card in it and access our 3G network here" i meant to say that the 4G works with a sim (microsim), but only with the Canadian carrier's sim that i buy it from. By saying "STILL" i meant; will it "STILL" work if i stick in my local carrier's sim. My apologies for the misunderstanding, but i really do have a valid question (i think), and was really amazed by your reply. I do, however, respect this site and forums so much, and do get annoyed myself by BB haters posting ridiculous comments, so i cant hate on you.

tfp, thank you for your response and support, much appreciated.

PS. i have been a BB supporter and abuser for a few years now, to the point that i dont plan on selling my 8250, 9700, 9800 that i have used before upgrading to the 9900. I also sport a 64gb playbook for myself, and a 32gb for my son. not to forget PB minikeyboard and many other accessories that i have invested in over time out of my pure passion and love for the blackberry and technology in general. (Also converted my wife from iphone3G to 9810.
    08-30-12 08:43 AM
    Well, StanWiz, i understand your concern, but i am not a spammer, by saying "will i still be able to stick a sim card in it and access our 3G network here" i meant to say that the 4G works with a sim (microsim), but only with the Canadian carrier's sim that i buy it from. By saying "STILL" i meant; will it "STILL" work if i stick in my local carrier's sim. My apologies for the misunderstanding, but i really do have a valid question (i think), and was really amazed by your reply. I do, however, respect this site and forums so much, and do get annoyed myself by BB haters posting ridiculous comments, so i cant hate on you.

tfp, thank you for your response and support, much appreciated.

PS. i have been a BB supporter and abuser for a few years now, to the point that i dont plan on selling my 8250, 9700, 9800 that i have used before upgrading to the 9900. I also sport a 64gb playbook for myself, and a 32gb for my son. not to forget PB minikeyboard and many other accessories that i have invested in over time out of my pure passion and love for the blackberry and technology in general. (Also converted my wife from iphone3G to 9810.
    Good job on converting the wife!!!!!!!! Just curious, how did you get her to switch?????
    08-30-12 08:54 AM
    Quite sure there is a video by crackberry.com answering all those questions. OP, hunt it down on YouTube.
    08-30-12 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD