A few months ago I was lucky to nab one if these babies, that I'm enjoying considerably together with my bb10 gear. Rivers of ink have been written about what could have or not been done with the Playbook, and indeed it's easy to see what it could have been.

My understanding based on what I have read around is that Playbook won't support SMS. Of course the 4G / LTE is a somewhat different beast and that is where my question comes from. Does this machine support SMS yes or no, I find strange that there is no interface for sending SMS or that nobody has written some crude interface to interact with them. Tried some SMS app with the Android runtime and got a pop up that SMS is not supported, and it's all fine, but strangely enough I can receive SMS in my Playbook although not send, where are those messages stored, in sum, what gives?

Thank You in advanced from a long time lurker.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:09 AM
    You can only send and receive SMS via BlackBerry Bridge.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 10:36 PM
    I understand but I can also receive SMS without bridge using the cellular network. If that is possible, it must also be possible to send them too, I suppose that BlackBerry never developed an interface for it, but the facilities must be there somewhere, because I don't believe I have the only Playbook which can receive SMS without Bridge

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:44 AM
    Where do you receive them on your PlayBook? I have a PlayBook 4G, as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 10:57 AM
    If someone sends an SMS a pop up will appear on screen with the message text. Once I click on ok, it ll dissappear. I wonder if those messages are actually stored anywhere, and as I said if it is possible to receive it must be possible to send with the right software hooking into whatever telephony api they were using.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:11 PM
    Huh, interesting. I've never had that happen to me.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 04:57 PM
    Then make a test, send a test, hello world SMS to the number in the Playbook ' s SIM and tell me what happens. I have checked and both SMS sent by the cellular operator and third parties are displayed. You see now why I asked, because in surprised that after all this time nobody seems to have mentioned it or nobody seems to have tried to develop a basic software to handle SMS.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 04:21 AM