With the close to imminent (?) release of PB 4G, here are a few questions that have been wondering in my head. Would be happy to hear your opinions:

- As the new PB will have a SIM slot, does that mean that the SIM use din PB would need to have a BlackBerry superscription? Or would any data enabled SIM card do?

- If any data enabled SIM card would do, then I assume the PB would be able to access BlackBerry e-mail over mobile network without the traditional BB subscription (like it does now over WiFi). In this case, why is there a need for a specific BlackBerry plan in the first place on BlackBerry phones?

- Is there perhaps a place where RIM will abolish the traditional BlackBerry subscription, and allow users to use any data enabled SIM card, and allow BB ID login over data connection?

Not sure if my questions makes any sense, but please do provide your opinions around this, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
    07-05-12 12:17 PM
    You're asking questions WE DO NOT KNOW yet! There hasn't even been a formal announcement about the 4G.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-05-12 12:28 PM
    All questions that will have to be answered soon. I am curious to see how the data works since we assume BIS isnt working with PBOS/BB10 and such.
    07-05-12 12:36 PM
    All questions that will have to be answered soon. I am curious to see how the data works since we assume BIS isnt working with PBOS/BB10 and such.
    We assume

But seriously, we know the current WiFi only PlayBook CAN access the NOC and it does for several services, I'm pretty sure while we may not get "BIS" service perse but having access to the NOC is no problem for the PlayBook/BlackBerry 10
    07-05-12 04:07 PM
    I've One question. Could you update your pb and then sign up to a subscription without changing your pb
    07-05-12 04:24 PM
    I've One question. Could you update your pb and then sign up to a subscription without changing your pb
    i am not sure what you are asking?
    07-05-12 04:33 PM
    As we are working with carriers on these questions, you wouldn't need a BlackBerry subscription to access a 4G data network. Preferably, it will be a pay as you go like other competitors have in which you can prepay for an amount of data you will use. We will have further information for you as we get closer to launch.

T.H.
    07-05-12 09:24 PM
    As we are working with carriers on these questions, you wouldn't need a BlackBerry subscription to access a 4G data network. Preferably, it will be a pay as you go like other competitors have in which you can prepay for an amount of data you will use. We will have further information for you as we get closer to launch.

T.H.
    Are you the real T.H.?
    07-05-12 09:29 PM
    if so, someone is about to get a million friend requests, and just as many subscriptions to this thread!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 09:33 PM
    Honestly im not that interested with the 4G version of Playbook as i am very much happy with their Bridge feature. I think this is more geared towards people who dont use BB phones yet, which is the majority what i am looking forward to is to be able to Bridge via wifi
    07-05-12 09:39 PM
    Personally I am looking forward more to the upgrade in the processor than 4G itself. I just think QNX's horse power would kick in better with aid of a higher clock speed. If I can say goodbye to App launch lagg and consistent browser lagg ill consider it!
    07-05-12 10:32 PM
    With the close to imminent (?) release of PB 4G, here are a few questions that have been wondering in my head. Would be happy to hear your opinions:

- As the new PB will have a SIM slot, does that mean that the SIM use din PB would need to have a BlackBerry superscription? Or would any data enabled SIM card do?

- If any data enabled SIM card would do, then I assume the PB would be able to access BlackBerry e-mail over mobile network without the traditional BB subscription (like it does now over WiFi). In this case, why is there a need for a specific BlackBerry plan in the first place on BlackBerry phones?

- Is there perhaps a place where RIM will abolish the traditional BlackBerry subscription, and allow users to use any data enabled SIM card, and allow BB ID login over data connection?

Not sure if my questions makes any sense, but please do provide your opinions around this, and let me know if further clarification is needed.

I don't know how RIM will do it with the retail products. But with the Dev Alpha there is no need for BIS. I have proven this with my own experiments using my Dev Alpha.

I can take out the SIM card and connect to WiFi and BBM still gets notifications.

I can take out the At&t SIM card that came with my Dev Alpha and replace it with another card, turn off WiFi and BBM still gets notifications. Email still works also, but the email is the same as the PlayBook native email which doesn't use BIS either.
    07-05-12 10:40 PM
    Personally I am looking forward more to the upgrade in the processor than 4G itself. I just think QNX's horse power would kick in better with aid of a higher clock speed. If I can say goodbye to App launch lagg and consistent browser lagg ill consider it!
    The PlayBook needs more RAM. The new processor doesn't make much of a difference to be honest.
    07-05-12 10:42 PM
    Are you the real T.H.?
    What's scary is that the post is just well-written, informative, and business-like in tone that it almost COULD be, isn't it?
    07-05-12 10:44 PM
    Will there be a 4G (LTE) version? The only reason I can think of is if it meets the high security of the Government. At this moment I would think the Playbook would be way down the priority list. I like mine but it is missing some of the key things I expected. N
    07-05-12 10:47 PM
    Honestly im not that interested with the 4G version of Playbook as i am very much happy with their Bridge feature. I think this is more geared towards people who dont use BB phones yet, which is the majority what i am looking forward to is to be able to Bridge via wifi

Not really. I have a BB Phone and wanting a 4g PB, coz bridge is slow. How much speed do you get while on bridge? 4g speed can blow your wifi away. With a feature of Mobile Hotspot to power your other device, that is something to look forward to.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    07-05-12 11:16 PM
    i would buy one for sure. bridge is just crap.
    07-05-12 11:19 PM
    fake 4G HSPA or real 4G LTE? I saw different evidence/opinions

Hope its LTE, BB is the only platform without an LTE device.

This would be an example of a good device released 6mo too late... every new high end gadget has to be LTE nowdays. iphone 4S was grilled for not having LTE....

TH...?
    07-06-12 12:22 AM
    i would rather stay with 3G or HSPA rather than going on a battery draining, patchy service LTE 4G. it's a fairly meaningless buzzword with the level of coverage, worldwide.
    only few carriers has LTE,in US, (of which the people no longer buying rim products), so why bother listening to them? LTE this 4G that. there are maybe 250 4G LTE android devices with 5 hours battery life. forums filled up with battery analysis of LTE devices; DIY tweaks and whatnots to keep the phones alive during work.

the rest of the world use GSM with 3G or 3.5G / HSPA (fairly friendly to battery/radio & decent speed), buy devices off contract, and pay $10 BIS plan. no string attached.
    07-06-12 01:18 AM
    Are you the real T.H.?
    The real T.H. has rather better personality and doesn't have prior bans for trolling under other names here.
    07-06-12 04:52 AM
    You won't need a blackberry subscription for playbook 4g as it will use ActiveSync for Exchange emails which doesn't use RIM'S NOC. Any data plan should be okay. The reason you need a blackberry subscription for current blackberry phones is because the phones go through RIM'S NOC to get emails. For the upcoming bb10, it will be the same as playbook 4g.
    07-06-12 08:37 AM
    I personally cant wait for 4g PB. My company announced they are discontinuing the current Bes services in the next month or so so i wont be able to get my corporate email on my amazing Bold 9900. I will be relying on the outlook web app on my current PB (sure love the bridge feature) to keep up but would prefer the native email client. Now a days if i want to access my corporate emails on my PB natively i have to use the VP option and than cant surf the web on the PB while on VPN.
    07-06-12 11:42 AM
    The PlayBook needs more RAM. The new processor doesn't make much of a difference to be honest.
    Bingo. the PB is definitely a bit short on RAM more than anything else, hardware wise
    07-06-12 12:43 PM
    It's going to use Verizon's LTE. Beta testing now if not soon and seeding to business customers August/early september
    07-06-12 02:15 PM
    More RAM? What?

The iPad doesn't come in anything bigger than 32GB or 64GB with its latest CPU and 4G network support. I don't seem why the playbook requires more memory, adding more will only drive the price up on the Playbook and that in turn will only make RIM fail even more.
    07-06-12 03:50 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD