Freshly parroted from MobileSyrup: Bell gives the BlackBerry PlayBook 4G its "End of Life" notice | MobileSyrup.com

• PlayBook 4G launched on August 9, 2012 - EOL Jan 23, 2013 (that be yesterday...)
    • Bell to sell out stock and not replenish. No word as to why it is EOL'ed.
    • In addition, the entry-level BlackBerry Curve 9360 has been canned too.
    01-24-13 04:10 PM
    wow that was fast...never even made it to the US
    01-24-13 04:39 PM
    wow that was fast...never even made it to the US
    Makes me wonder why they even bothered to release it except for experience in doing so for a possible future tablet.
    01-24-13 05:49 PM
    I'm thinking just to satisfy some enterprise customers and or get rid of the stock from when it was originally supposed to be released? It never made sense to release it to me either. But there is surely a rhyme and reason.
    wiredr likes this.
    01-24-13 06:07 PM
    This always struck me as some kind of a contractual obligation. (ie. "You said you'd give us a cellular PlayBook when we originally agreed to sell the WiFi version").

RIM didn't exactly invest any effort in marketing it. Just do a search here and you'll see lots of "RIM needs to update the PlayBook hardware ... it's 18 months old" comments. When many users on crackberry.com have no idea that a newer, faster PlayBook was actually released in the summer, you know it's not marketed or distributed in any significance.
    01-24-13 06:12 PM
    it also allowed some testing of the radios that the new phones.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-24-13 06:18 PM
    Yeah - it sure seems like the PlayBook is a science project as far as Thorsten's concerned. He inherited the business and the messes to clean up. Might as well use it to get apps made, test features etc.
    01-24-13 09:28 PM
    What does EOL mean for Bell Canada? Do they not plan software upgrades? In other words do they not plan to put BB10 on these devices? Is this the handwriting on the wall? How do they expect to sell them now? EOL does not sound like " We will not continue to stock this device so sell what you have to anyone who wishes to buy". Were they being sold with a data contract and any idea as to how many? Assume they do plan to have BB10 phones. Could be anticipation of a new model.
    01-24-13 09:53 PM
    Well I have the LTE model bought from rogers in December 2012 so who cares if the 4G model is discoed now
    01-24-13 09:58 PM
    What does EOL mean for Bell Canada? Do they not plan software upgrades? In other words do they not plan to put BB10 on these devices? Is this the handwriting on the wall? How do they expect to sell them now? EOL does not sound like " We will not continue to stock this device so sell what you have to anyone who wishes to buy". Were they being sold with a data contract and any idea as to how many? Assume they do plan to have BB10 phones. Could be anticipation of a new model.
    I am only sharing my personal experience with Bell as I have had a cellphone through them on a 3yr contract previously. They are not a very good company to deal with and will milk you for every cent you're willing to give them. Even when you try to leave once you become month to month you have to give them 30 days notice or else they'll screw you for an entire month of service you don't actually use. Not only that, they sold my phone number to solicitors and I got spam phone calls every day and sometimes several times a day. The amount of pushback on this on the web is pretty high. I wouldn't go back on Bell even if they gave me a FREE Z10 with an unlimited contract. My point is that I wouldn't be surprised one little bit to hear that they won't update their version of the PlayBook LTE. Considering it's the carriers who ultimately dictate and certify the OS update to work on their networks I would be worried if I purchased an LTE PlayBook on Bell's network since seeing this EOL (End of Life) screenshot.
    01-24-13 10:06 PM
    Surface has so many major shortcomings, yet article gives it a high rating? No wonder it isn't popular! I can't believe Microsoft Surface isn't better!

Playbook is so much better!
    01-25-13 07:06 AM