If you don't absolutely need it now, wait. Prices will always drop on tech.

My guess: $300 on the 16 GB Playbook price now is to increase user base to interest developers. Prices will be dropped to $400 after OS 2.0's release, with $100 off sales on/off depending on the reaction to OS 2.0, i.e. high praise, expect no sales for a while. At $400, it's on par with Android tablets, though the Android ones are 10" screens. If RIM was more aggressive, then $350 as the normal price.

Staples and Office Depot sales end on 10/01/11. DevCon is 10/18/11, too far away for the 14-day return, even if you bought it tomorrow. Your only hope for now is for Best Buy to continue the sale past 10/01/11 since their sale started later, on Thursday. Staples and Office Depot may Price Match, which may mean you have another week? Maybe...

Here's my dilemma. I can order the Playbook now and hope for the best with OS 2.0. However, if it doesn't deliver what I'm looking for, I'll have no recourse (14 day return period). If I wait until devcon to hear about OS 2.0, prices may be back to normal, as this seems like an inventory flush.

As well, if I purchase now, and they release an upgraded model (or there's some benefit to buying a "new" 2.0 PB) I'll have missed out on that as well.

What are your thoughts? Realistically, I can wait, but is it worth the $200 risk?
    10-01-11 12:50 AM
    Business school 101. Customer retention over customer acquisition. Always.
    At this point, they need customer acquisition, to sell 500K(?) Playbooks...

I agree with you though. If they gave existing Playbook owners something small, like a gift certificate for apps, then it would definitely "play" well with everyone. Apple gave away cheap cases (for a limited time!) when their phone design was flawed and apps to early iPhone adopters after the big price drop. It doesn't have to be much. It's the thought that counts.
    10-01-11 01:02 AM
    I doubt this is a permenant price point. I would guess 400 +-25 is what they will start normally being. The loss leader worked on me. I have one backordered from best buy. I played with one upon release, liked it but spent 500 on a new laptop instead since that's what I needed more. I am excited to have it. It will make long train rides more enjoyable as well as come in handy throughout the day since igenerally don't carry a laptop around.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 02:19 AM
    Again, it's not a fire sale. It's not even the permanent price. It's a temporary price reduction. RIM is jumping ship on the PB, they are not spinning off a new hardware company, that are not dumping a product after 60 day.

There is no similarities to the HP TouchPad and the PlayBook. I curse HP for this.
    Guys, this is the new price, it is not temporary. The price war in tablets is only beginning. i don't believe the price would drop $200 and then return to full boat. No way! Let's just hope that some major retailers don't stop carrying the Playbook after the deep price cuts. They dropped the price because they weren't moving and it isn't a popular gadget.
    i believe these prices are here to stay.
    10-01-11 05:03 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD