I was giving it some thought yesterday and started a mental list under 3 catagories: 1) hardware, 2) OS and, 3) applications.

I actually had some difficulty with the first and second catagories. It may be I still find the PB a good daily user or just happily do not know how obsolete it is.

I the case of hardware:
    1) removable battery
    2) USB 3 port that is bidirectional so the unit can read plugged in devices. I would love to be able to connect a printer, scanner, external drive, etc.
    3) Newer and faster CPU, not because I find the current one too slow but to stay up with the times.
    4) Larger ram with more free ram.
    5) Have not tried it but if the HDMI audio output will not work separately from a video signal, then the ability to bypass the headphone amp and ability to use the headphone jack as a fixed or variable preamp output.
    6) A magnetic dock port with matching dock for table, desk use with all ports and abilities passed through including 5).
    7) Inductive charging.
    8) LTE as a standard feature with unit unlocked.
    9) I love the existing screen but time moves on so, a newer type screen that loses none of the great features and abilities of the current.
    10) Built in FM tuner.
    11) Built in phone. Yes, I just crossed the line a Phalet of whatever it is called.
    12) Built in digital tv tuner.
    13) No added weight.
    14) Better placement of the jacks. I wish the headphone and magnetic power connector were on the same side.
    15) While I am working okay with 32 gigs, I would like far larger, say around 256 - 512 so I can load it with more movies without using the memory card or external drive.

I have not really had and OS problems as it sits. Again, maybe just ignorant. So, improvements and changes to accomplish the above hardware changes. Keep the tight OS control and maintain the security the OS is reputedly to have.

Applications:
    Update and modernized the current built in apps and maintain them and we're appropriate maintain relationships with 3-rd parties. A bit irritating that the RSS feeder is orphaned as well as the video store.

I the app store, delineate between native apps and Android. I would prefer to but a native PB app that install an Android loaded with the crappy advertising and requirements to invade the PB and divulge my life.

Maybe between use we can come up with a skeleton for a possible engineering group should Chen ever decide to look into the market again. Maybe the Passport could be re-engineered to form the basis.
    11-11-14 08:13 AM
    I agree with some of your points and some not, let me strip it down for you.

1) removable battery

Not needed, its a tablet not a phone, PlayBook 1 has 5000mAh on 7 inch and that could handle long enough

2) USB 3 port that is bidirectional so the unit can read plugged in devices. I would love to be able to connect a printer, scanner, external drive, etc.

I agree on the USB 3 and USB On-The-GO

3) Newer and faster CPU, not because I find the current one too slow but to stay up with the times.

Should be a Snapdragon 810 with BlackBerry 10 complete rewritten in 64bit.

4) Larger ram with more free ram.

Passport has 3 Gb ram, but 4Gb for a tablet should be more than enough

5) Have not tried it but if the HDMI audio output will not work separately from a video signal, then the ability to bypass the headphone amp and ability to use the headphone jack as a fixed or variable preamp output.

You can also stick the headphone cable to input of your monitor

6) A magnetic dock port with matching dock for table, desk use with all ports and abilities passed through including 5).

Can be nice

7) Inductive charging.

This makes the battery life shorter, so people need to get a new battery more often.. not a good thing

8) LTE as a standard feature with unit unlocked.

Can be good for some users, here in europe we dont sell locked tablets

9) I love the existing screen but time moves on so, a newer type screen that loses none of the great features and abilities of the current.

BlackBerry should release a 10-12 inch tablet with keyboard (attachable)

10) Built in FM tuner.

Why?

11) Built in phone. Yes, I just crossed the line a Phalet of whatever it is called.
    Useless

12) Built in digital tv tuner.
    Even more useless

13) No added weight.

Ok, but if you add things to a device you also get more weight..

14) Better placement of the jacks. I wish the headphone and magnetic power connector were on the same side.

its a design decision.

15) While I am working okay with 32 gigs, I would like far larger, say around 256 - 512 so I can load it with more movies without using the memory card or external drive.

Do you know what a 512gb SSD costs? BlackBerry can't make 1000+ usd tablets..
    11-11-14 08:23 AM
    Dear OP
    Basically whenever i dust up my poor old PB 1 to quieten my 7 month daughter, I am struck by how everything has been left behind by time.
    The OS layout was fantastic but right now everything else needs to be amplified big time:
    - RAM - cameras - CPU - GPU - heat dissipation - weight - finish - screen brightness - and then everything you mentioned.
    Hell even the name PlayBook sort doesn't work (well never did) for folks like BlackBerry.
    In short a PB coming out today should show its been ages snce the last one was made.
    11-11-14 08:25 AM
    BB's market share on the phone side isn't in the greatest shape. Chen has stated that he is more focused on profitability rather than number of devices. Meaning I would be extremely surprised to see another BB tablet. Looking through your requirements, I think you may want to look at the Microsoft Surface. The Pro's run windows, have intel processors and have many of the features you are looking for. Yes, the price tag might be out of the range, but don't think that a BB tablet with the same specs wouldn't also be expensive. There are other options out there as well which have at least some of the options you are looking at. Hardware-wise, the PB was great at the time, but the OS/software fell short. I just don't think that BB has the resources to invest in a new device right now. They are struggling to keep afloat, and the next year will really tell the tale of direction for the company. I'd rather they focus on remaining a going concern rather than focus on trying to develop a new tablet.
    11-11-14 02:11 PM
    1)
    - SD card slot
    - 8" screen. Just because 7" is a bit small for my weary eyes
    - IP56 or 57
    - higher resolution
    - improved camera
    - accessories: keyboard, cases, dock (as mentioned by topic starter), rapid charger with magnetic contacts
    2)
    - hybrid of PB OS and BB10
    - Miracast?
    - stylus support
    - advanced battery management with varous savings modes, incl. monochrome display
    3)
    - more user friendly App store
    - compatibility with all PBOS and BB10 apps
    - built in apps: full functional office, handwriting, navigation with offline maps, file commander with features similar to File and Folders, modern browser, device monitor (as in BB10), BBM, Blend, Hub, BB Travel, Skype, screen saver app.
    11-11-14 04:41 PM
    I was not suggesting that BB at this time could or should develop a new tablet but am posing a what if scenario. As for looking at alternative OSs such as Windows or Android, again not part of the question. I am not sure Windows in any format will be as secure, will be as private or as good in terms of hardware; remember out PBs are from 2011 and when it came out it was hardware wise at the top of the game and even today a number of tablets still are not up to being hardware competitive. I have no problem with a $1,000 + tablet if it would last as long as my PB.
    11-11-14 09:14 PM