01-31-12 09:05 AM
77 1234
tools
    Where will they put the huge battery required to power these QNX phones? External battery pack? Maybe it could be powered from the Playbook.
    07-21-11 07:19 PM
    bb9900 got like 1230maH. my torch got 1100maH, way too small. 1500mah would be proper, but maybe the device will get too thick.
    there are rumours of inductive charging 9900..a-la touchstone. why wouldnt rim buy palm??? rather than copying webos card system, why not getting the patents? and suing everybody else? $1.2 billion palm purchase would be smarter and cheaper than this QNX experiment.
    07-21-11 07:51 PM
    Here is how I see it:
    The advantage of the Playbook is portability and handling. It gives up real estate. Why would I want something portable? Reading is the one for me. I wanted something to take the place of my Kindle and also be a better web substitute than my smartphone. The other stuff (games, etc.) are great on the Playbook, Ipad and other devices. No advantage for the Playbook.
    I want to be able to hold it up and read and not get tired. RIM is not getting the apps that a smaller device could really use. Other than Flash why would I want a Playbook now?
    RIM makes an outstanding piece of hardware. They need to get the apps for the portability crowd and get the larger 10" footprint for the rest of the world. ****, I'd probably buy both.
    07-21-11 10:07 PM
    Lenovo's 7-inch IdeaPad caught by Mr. Blurrycam? -- Engadget
    7" lenovo ideapad...look like same format as pb 16:9?
    default photo view (pb is default landscape)?
    07-22-11 10:54 AM
    7-8" Anything because of the portability...that was a MAJOR deciding factor on the Playbook in the first place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 10:58 AM
    If RIM builds an A4 size tablet, it will never leave my coffee table. I would use it all the time at home, but in a pinch or on the move, I would choose the 7" formfactor. I think they don't need to rush out and make an A4 tablet any time soon. If they dial the OS in and add the PIM features, then attract the big names to write native apps, then you could call the playbook done. Then it would make sense to expand sales, by adding a larger formfactor.

Changing things now, would make no sense. I even think that RIM really did their homework on this. They are trying to make a portable tablet computer, not a coffee table tablet. Some people who like the bigger form factor should eventually get a choice. I think the playbook 2 should be the same exact specs, with exception to the battery size, but in two different sizes. The 7" (which is half an A4 size) and the full A4 size. It sure would keep things simple and keep everyone happy.
    07-22-11 11:35 AM
    on top of that bigger tablets (a4) would need a docking compatibility so can be used as a desktop replacement.
    07-22-11 11:40 AM
    seems that everybody making 10" tablets. here's another one
    Toshiba Thrive review -- Engadget
    too thick i guess.
    07-22-11 08:48 PM
    Excelant post, Heres my thoughts, your all right. For now the 7" is what we got and they need to get the developers on board. P.S. I love this thing. Provide the NDK please. If you think about some of the future uses for the 7" it clear that its going to be around for a long time. I'm thinking in car entertainment, police, taxi, all using 7" for it portability and with the QNX car,docking station with a charging port, oh baby. Look how much people with kids are paying for an in car movie dvd players. Really you could have docking stations in homes, exercise equipment, the list goes on and the 10" is just to big.
    Although the 10" is not going anywhere either. RIM needs to get one out the door for sure. I bet there still working on it perhaps at a slower pace to judge whats going to work.
    Bottom line I think RIM is well aware of the future of the 7" for them and thats why we see it first. QNX needs to expand, native email will dumb down the negative press. Supper phones we generate excitement and as for Android RIM now has an app for that
    Summer wont be over soon enough though.
    07-22-11 09:49 PM
    yes having the 10" or A4 size like kevin previously said is important so you cover all the market sizes both mid and full-size.
    as (android) touch-phones are getting bigger (the size now is 4.3" and increasing),rim will need to fill this market with 4.3" size Storm 4. don't go with 4" or anything smaller, won't be spectacular enough. get a big one with pb built quality, so 4.3" - 7" and 11" tablets are available. all on qnx and please don;t port android or symbian or ios. just native apps.
    07-22-11 10:03 PM
    does anyone know what happens with the 10" pb? are they really ditched or kept secret?
    07-26-11 06:05 AM
    None of the above... i say RIM goes all the way and does a tablet the same size as a sheet of paper.. 8.5 x 11".
    Novel idea - I like it.
    But would they then need it to be "A" size for European market?
    07-26-11 12:28 PM
    Ooo.. and maybe does a version with a swivel out keyboard. I'd love that. I bought a Windows tablet back in 2002 or 2003 or something like that.. was a Toshiba (or maybe Compaq??) TC1000. A modern day version of that form factor by BlackBerry would be wicked.
    Or a slide out keyboard - I have no idea what the trend to "thin" is all about other than style - its a ridiculous competition for who can be thinnest and the reviewers evaluate it on this - If they are going with a larger tab why are dimensions an issue anymore? Use the space for a keyboard.

With a place to store a stylus and not the big nub styluses that are necessary with current touchscreens - I miss my .5 millimeter mechanical pencil for fine detailed writing... as screen resolution increases, future tabs should accommodate this for things that fat fingers just can't do.

The old GRID tablets (circa 1980s) had finer stylus pointing ability than the current tabs - its a step backwards.....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-26-11 at 12:35 PM.
    07-26-11 12:31 PM
    hand-writing recognition, with a stylus. surely handy at times. some of the latest tablets are offered with a stylus (i.e htc flyer) - it must be a new trend or revival-something.
    07-26-11 06:39 PM
    08-26-11 12:11 AM
    Sorry, I haven't read this thread. I will say that the size of the current PlayBook is one of my absolute favorite features! I have owned more than half of the competition (I would say) and the one thing that I can say about most of them is that I think they're too big.

Before RIM disabled the Android Player (which I am very bitter about) I would use the Android Kindle app to read in bed. I don't find it comfortable to read on a ~10" screen. I also like that I can set it down almost anywhere. I put my PlayBook onto window sills all the time. Putting a larger tablet on a window sill would be precarious at best, in my opinion. Another thing that would be altered for the worse in a larger PlayBook is the bezel-to-bezel "wake up" swipe. With my current PlayBook I almost always swipe vertically (between the front camera and the BlackBerry logo) and only horizontally on rare occasions. (It's like when pre-Honeycomb versions of Android are put onto 10" tablets: the "swipe to unlock" function becomes this giant slider.)
    08-26-11 03:09 AM
    I choosed PB because of its form factor, 7" is perfect to me I can hold it with a hand, grab it and writte with my two hands (keyboard in vertical view should improve, why do I writte better on a smart phone?)

Besides I can take it everywhere easily, the comfort in long periods of use is better than larger tablets....
    08-26-11 08:35 PM
    I don't really know the reason for the sheer number of 10" tablets out there, but it's the same thing as game developers churning out dumbed down crap games lately and sadly the public takes it. The 7" size is perfect, I have used the iPad and a few 10" tablets and they don't suit me.

RIM did scrap the 10" PB, but it doesn't mean they won't do it in the future.
    08-26-11 09:43 PM
    hand-writing recognition, with a stylus. surely handy at times. some of the latest tablets are offered with a stylus (i.e htc flyer) - it must be a new trend or revival-something.
    Not really a new thing, 10+ years ago PDA's and some tablets (yes tablets existed back then) had stylus.
    08-26-11 09:45 PM
    Yeah palm and lots of handheld pdas do carry stylus. Most recent modern tablet reviving this t trend was the htc flyer.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-27-11 11:52 PM
    I want a 10" playbook!! Come on RIM, bring it on! please^^
    08-28-11 04:08 PM
    Samsung galaxy 7.7 just announced.
    Playbook price drop the same day.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    09-01-11 10:07 PM
    I want a 10" playbook!! Come on RIM, bring it on! please^^
    it would be nice to habe a completed 7inch playbook forst. but i can see no autocorrect would be much nicer on a 10inch pb!!!!!
    09-01-11 11:12 PM
    nobody seems to talk about playbook 2.. yet..
    10-25-11 08:31 PM
    I like 7 inches for ultra portability, however, when browsing the net, I wish the screen was 8 or 9 inches. If the bezel size was halfed, the visible screen would be 8 inches, all without changing the external dimensions of the tablet!!! Same size, same weight, 33% more screen space!!! They really really should do that.
    10-27-11 02:00 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD