With the PlayBook 2 a possibility and PlayBook 1 having a quite recent OS and ongoing Bridge updates the PlayBook now looks far from dead!!
    It's been a great week for the PlayBook!! To celebrate, we will be releasing the nominations for the greatest ever PlayBook Apps & Games sometime in the next few days!!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    02-27-14 09:55 AM
    wat?

... where did this come from?
    02-27-14 10:16 AM
    Don't drink & write
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    02-27-14 10:23 AM
    There was something on N4BB about it.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 10:30 AM
    There was something on N4BB about it.
    I hope they don't, because tablets will be dead in approx 4 years (Thorsten Heins)

The BlackBerry PlayBook was a double-edged sword. In one hand the PlayBook helped BlackBerry pave the way to BlackBerry 10, meanwhile it definitely felt like a half-baked product. Nevertheless, it was a crucial stepping stone leading up to BlackBerry 10, despite its unfortunate demise.

But, BlackBerry tablet faithful will be glad to know the company is considering a PlayBook 2. Of course, what company wouldn’t in this day and age even despite failure. Though, don’t expect it to be anytime soon, says BlackBerry’s vice-president of global product management, Francois Mahieu.

“Would BlackBerry consider one day re-entering the tablet market? Yes. Will BlackBerry do it in the coming months? No,” said Mahieu to Pocket-Lint in an interview at Mobile World Congress 2014.

“When we launched PlayBook, beyond the fact that everybody knows that PlayBook was no a huge success, everybody loved it,” said Mahieu. “I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a meeting one day and I show you a tablet. We have equity in that space, but we’re not ready. We need more time.”
    Source: http://n4bb.com/blackberry-consideri...-anytime-soon/
    02-27-14 10:32 AM
    “When we launched PlayBook, beyond the fact that everybody knows that PlayBook was no a huge success, everybody loved it,” said Mahieu.

When does universal love translate into a billion or so writeoff?

I've got two PBs, use the 16 GB almost every day and the 64 GB (loaded with videos and connected to a TV/sound system) regularly, but am still amazed that Blackberry's execution with the PB was so incompetent in so many areas.

Such as the file/folder management system. Thorsten should have had his tongue cut out for talking about "mobile computing" while that file/folder management system remained (and still remains) in such a half-assed state. Sure, one can download various apps that improve on the native app. However, if one wants to attach a file to an email message, the PB defaults to the native file/folder management system, which can't see folders created by other file/folder management apps. There are workarounds. But, if the PB is supposed to be a BUSINESS TOOL, why should users have to spend minutes on workarounds?

The list of poorly executed important features on the PB is a long one. If Blackberry ever introduces another tablet and does such a lousy job of execution, nobody should be surprised if Blackberry ultimately takes another substantial writeoff.
    02-27-14 05:09 PM
    I would buy one

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 06:17 PM
    I'd buy PlayBook 2 in a heartbeat, but I am definitely biased.
    02-27-14 08:00 PM
    I am so happy there will be a PlayBook2 in the future, and, BlackBerry didn't give up on it. I shall patiently wait indeed....and this time, I believe it will come to pass. :-)
    02-27-14 08:24 PM
    I'm not getting my hopes up on this but it would be fantastic to see. The main reason I say this....

...it would mean they have succeeded in many other avenues in a turnaround of the company to the point they are growing again and not shutting down. I would buy one immediately if they made it too

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 12:18 AM
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Sorry, but if I'd put my money down for a new tablet, it likely won't be a Blackberry.
    02-28-14 02:21 PM
    I would love a pb 2. I like the first one, but wish it had a bit bigger screen. The new updates are awesome!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 02:28 PM
    I would only take one if they were free. My $129 droid tab blows the current playbook out of the water on functionality and performance. The ability to root and make it mine and not some pocket protector wearing dweeb's version of what a tablet should be will likely leave me in the droid world.

My 3 playbooks for two years were crippled beyond belief and for no good reason. Just one week with my current and first droid tab and it does everything, and I do mean everything that I need it to do.

Anything Rimberry would release would be limited, restricted and always waiting for the next great update that is coming.�..............Soon

They've seen my last dollar
    Last edited by Cynycl; 02-28-14 at 03:34 PM.
    PFman likes this.
    02-28-14 03:13 PM
    I would love a pb 2. I like the first one, but wish it had a bit bigger screen. The new updates are awesome!!!

Posted via CB10
    The bevel could have been 50% narrower on the BlackBerry PlayBook to allow for more viewable area with increase the dimensions of the tablet.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-28-14 09:12 PM
    I would only take one if they were free. My $129 droid tab blows the current playbook out of the water on functionality and performance. The ability to root and make it mine and not some pocket protector wearing dweeb's version of what a tablet should be will likely leave me in the droid world.

My 3 playbooks for two years were crippled beyond belief and for no good reason. Just one week with my current and first droid tab and it does everything, and I do mean everything that I need it to do.

Anything Rimberry would release would be limited, restricted and always waiting for the next great update that is coming.�..............Soon

Well then take your malware magnet ..er spyware tablet and go away. Make sure the door doesn't kick your behind on the way out.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    02-28-14 09:20 PM
    Well then take your malware magnet ..er spyware tablet and go away. Make sure the door doesn't kick your behind on the way out.
    WHAT R U talking about? LOL
    Anyways if BB does decide to retry the tablet market, then I hope they will have better advertising teams and better long term support because a lot of us felt abandoned and wont be buying another playbook...
    03-01-14 01:07 AM
    I agree that BB will have to really hit a homerun with a second Playbook. Its not that it's that bad. Heck. I still have mine and use it almost every day to surf the web and youtube. But, yes, all the waiting, first, for 2.0 OS and, even worst, later for bb10 OS and never getting it..... It left a terrible taste.
    We'll just have to wait and see if this comes to fruition.
    bob_tn likes this.
    03-01-14 02:12 AM
    It's now a 2 1/2 year old tablet. Not sure why it would be a surprise that new ones are better than it is. The fact it's still useable at all is a tribute to the hardware - even if they did make a mess of it when launched.
    03-01-14 08:31 AM

I'm sorry but I have cheap android tablet from Asus (effectively a nexus 7 with Micro SD and a Camera) it's a later Jellybean rather than KitKat but for my first taste of Android I was shocked at how poor it is Spec's wise it should be quick Quad core and all that but to be honest it's just an App player. I'm pretty disappointed. You need to source everything you need yourself. Yes Google services are conveniently but purely looking at Android alone and the physical hardware it's a real disappointment.

The Playbook shipped without a PIM solution originally, but then so does the android tab you need to get an app. There is very little built in an although Google plays is jam packed full of stuff it's not easy to find good quality, basically you need to spend hours, or worse days setting up everything. When you do some things are great but loads is so-so I had issues with Video playback even with apps like VLC but it's stuuf that just worked on PBOS and works on BB10 and IOS for that matter.

You get loads baked into BB10 that you take for granted Android has, with Google an ecosystem and effectively an app player. IOS has an ecosystem and a platform. BB10 has a platform but a lacking ecosystem. But for getting stuff done BB10 still my favorite for getting stuff done!

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 06:02 PM
    When we finally was able to install Android apps on BB10 directly from say Google Play or Amazon, after one or 2 installs it all felt a bit 'underwhelming' and we had better in our own BlackBerry World. That's what I think a lot of users find when they leave the PlayBook. For productivity and organisation there probably nothing better out there unless you pay through the nose for the Surface Pro.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-01-14 06:25 PM
    What new updates is everyone talking about? I'm on version 2.1.0.1753, and when I check for updates it says I am on the latest. I haven't updated the PB for aggges.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:30 AM
    What new updates is everyone talking about? I'm on version 2.1.0.1753, and when I check for updates it says I am on the latest. I haven't updated the PB for aggges.

Posted via CB10
    There are no new updates and there have been no OS updates for a long time now. Don't listen to the delusional that count a flash player security patch as an update.

They also count phone app updates as a playbook updates.

Then they all rejoice singing the praises of Rimberry, who don't even know what a playbook looks like
    Last edited by Cynycl; 03-02-14 at 03:14 PM.
    03-02-14 02:57 PM

I love my PB, can't be beat for browsing. My android tab always seems to be doing what it wants to do regardless of what I want to do. Hate the home button and after a few months pretty bored with the app universe I so long thought was leaving me behind. That said I wouldn't buy another PB until this one died which could be years away. I hope so.
    If the android runtime could be updated to allow Skype, I would toss the droid.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    03-02-14 06:14 PM
    I love my PB, can't be beat for browsing. My android tab always seems to be doing what it wants to do regardless of what I want to do. Hate the home button and after a few months pretty bored with the app universe I so long thought was leaving me behind. That said I wouldn't buy another PB until this one died which could be years away. I hope so.
    If the android runtime could be updated to allow Skype, I would toss the droid.
    Sounds like you haven't figured out root and how to properly customize.

You obviously not been browsing this site on your playbook either.
    03-02-14 07:03 PM
    Yes, I would buy one......and I want one. 10" screen, 128 GB.......

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 07:11 PM
28 12