I don't see a thread on the first three pages related to this.

One secret to the success of competing tablet and phone manufacturers is great control of the refresh cycle. My comments that follow assume that the 21st is PB 2.0 release, although without a press release from RIM, it's not fully confirmed.

Which is the issue. Playbook is very important to RIM going forward, they've stated this at many levels including the CEO. It's the 18th, with a government and bank holiday on Monday in the U.S. I would think that the correct sequence of events would include a launch event, which would include inviting press somewhere to a large room decorated with all manner of Playbook related goods. If that invitation has been sent out, we, the members of Crackberry, would have heard about it by now. Probably.

That leaves me wondering if there is another botched launch impending. Unless RIM intends a soft launch of 2.0 for the 21st and a fanfare launch at a later date. If this is true, they botched the launch. All media outlets have heard the release for 2.0 is "late February.

There are other big rumored yet expected launches in the next few weeks. The window is closing. IMO the world doesn't need an Ipad 3, but it seems Apple disagrees.

The window is now, RIM, so get the word out, create buzz and sell some damn Playbooks. I look forward to the ecosystem around the Playbook when momentum swings positive.

Do you think RIM is handling this launch well so far?
    02-18-12 01:19 PM
    There are other big rumored yet expected launches in the next few weeks. The window is closing. IMO the world doesn't need an Ipad 3, but it seems Apple disagrees.
    Based on the success of the current model, you're right. But when you start waiting for what is needed, you end up being behind the curve.
    02-18-12 01:27 PM
    When you suggested an initial "soft launch" another possibility came to mind and that is to do as you have suggested, do a soft launch for the 21st, which gets the new version out to existing users to upgrade, get all of the initial launch day issues out of the way and addressed and use the Mobile World Congress for the hard launch. The world press will already be there making it much easier to hold a press conference.

Now considering my guess for a Friday release day announcement was out to lunch this may be as well. Though rare in the tech industry, this has been done before. It does occur regularly in other industries having a soft opening with a grand opening happening happening later. It may also depend on what other announcement they may be making which may not be specific to OS 2.0. In that case the MWC may be the best place for a hard launch as it would still meet their February timeframe for OS 2.0.

What a great way to announce to the world "reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated." by not only talking and showing 2.0, but more BB10 info , BB Fusion, PlayBook 3G+ devices running 2.0, etc. So instead of just a launch day, it will be alaunch week.

I know, I know, I'm probably grasping at straws here, but unlike many I prefer to look at the positive side of things until shown otherwise. I wasted far too much times in the past on the negative, which only makes one cynical and miserable. I also figure since I have never built or run a 20 billion dollar company, who am I to be telling RIM what they should or should not be doing no matter how smart I think I am.
    02-18-12 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD