05-21-13 03:06 PM
42 12
tools
    I want to "peek" into "flow" on my pb sometime before the summer of 2013... if the world as we know it won't end in Dec.
    09-23-12 11:03 PM
    First thing I thought when I saw the OP's name. Had a little trip down memory lane I did. I wonder If Jack came back with a different name at some point. He sure loved his PlayBook!
    I'm not sure, who your thinking of but this is my first post and I'm new to the community. The Playbook is pretty nice, whenever it gets BB10 OS, it's like a 2for1 deal

I bought an Asus Transformer Prime last year during Christmas. At that time, it had top end specs. Quad Core Tegra 2 processor etc etc etc and it was the first device to run Android 4.0 (ICS). I tried it for 2 weeks, then returned it. Why? It was glitchy, at times the touch screen was unresponsive. I would type something then all of a sudden it wouldn't work. It had the best speaker with the best sound on "paper" but when it came down to the real deal, you could hardly hear anything when the volume was turn on Max. Sometimes your hand would block it too. The Playbook had better speakers, it's well positioned and you can turn it up louder. The size was an issue too. The Prime had 10.1 inch display, so it was awkward to carry around, it was like having a netbook without the keyboard. Playbook is large enough to fit in the back pocket of my jeans, both of my hands were free when I need it.

All in all, If the Playbook have everything the competition does, like apps and other stuff or maybe more it's simply the best tablet on the market. I fear that if, Apple was to launch
    an iPad mini, it means trouble for everyone in the 7 inch tablet category.
    Last edited by BlackJack-21; 09-24-12 at 12:17 AM.
    09-24-12 12:13 AM
    I'm not sure, who your thinking of but this is my first post and I'm new to the community. The Playbook is pretty nice, whenever it gets BB10 OS, it's like a 2for1 deal

I bought an Asus Transformer Prime last year during Christmas. At that time, it had top end specs. Quad Core Tegra 2 processor etc etc etc and it was the first device to run Android 4.0 (ICS). I tried it for 2 weeks, then returned it. Why? It was glitchy, at times the touch screen was unresponsive. I would type something then all of a sudden it wouldn't work. It had the best speaker with the best sound on "paper" but when it came down to the real deal, you could hardly hear anything when the volume was turn on Max. Sometimes your hand would block it too. The Playbook had better speakers, it's well positioned and you can turn it up louder. The size was an issue too. The Prime had 10.1 inch display, so it was awkward to carry around, it was like having a netbook without the keyboard. Playbook is large enough to fit in the back pocket of my jeans, both of my hands were free when I need it.

All in all, If the Playbook have everything the competition does, like apps and other stuff or maybe more it's simply the best tablet on the market. I fear that if, Apple was to launch
    an iPad mini, it means trouble for everyone in the 7 inch tablet category.
    Of course you would say that if you were the real blackjack. J/k

The other blackjack is posting over at n4bb seen his name pop up a few times over there.
    Seems he calmed down too.
    09-24-12 05:55 AM
    the OS 2.1 is not released yet! therefore we cannot judge yet. unfortunately only RIM do such things and every thing is not clear.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    09-24-12 06:12 AM
    Hardly. It's perfectly good now, it'll be perfectly good 3 years from now. .
    In 3 years the Playbooks we have now will be 4 years old.
    Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My inherited iPod touch 3g 64gb is just over 4 years old and is not upgradable to IOS 6.
    The original battery was never great and has naturally faded with age.
    It was little used in the last year until I made it my car stereo recently.
    It stood up well and 64 gigs of storage is still on the high end of current specs but to call it obsolete is not hyperbolic.

Do you think the Playbook will do much better?
    rango10 likes this.
    09-24-12 07:18 AM
    I still believe the original PlayBook and 4G PlayBook will get BB10 around Summer of 2013, but I also believe RIM will release 2nd Gen PlayBooks built for BB10
    09-24-12 08:23 AM
    In 3 years the Playbooks we have now will be 4 years old.
    Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My inherited iPod touch 3g 64gb is just over 4 years old and is not upgradable to IOS 6.
    The original battery was never great and has naturally faded with age.
    It was little used in the last year until I made it my car stereo recently.
    It stood up well and 64 gigs of storage is still on the high end of current specs but to call it obsolete is not hyperbolic.

Do you think the Playbook will do much better?
    The only point that's actually valid is the battery, and how well that lasts varies from person to person. My 2nd Gen 8GB iPod touch still works perfectly well for me. I paid $100 for it second hand when the 3rd Gen one had just come out. It doesn't go past 4.2.1 (and quite frankly, that yours won't upgrade to iOS 6 is a good thing, it's a downgrade more than an upgrade), and the only real problem I'm noticing is that the sensitivity isn't as good as the PlayBook or Nexus 7, but it hasn't actually gotten worse. There's also a good amount of new apps that won't install on the hardware, but that's again to be expected and not a real problem.

Obsolete means no longer usable so you're absolutely forced to get a new device. BBOS6 devices are obsolete for anyone who does web browsing because the hardware just isn't capable of rendering modern pages well. Safari in iOS 4.2.1 works better than IE9 in WP 7.5, a system with a 533MHz ARMv7 processor isn't something I'd buy if I were spending money today, but that doesn't mean I can't keep using it.
    Last edited by masqueofhastur; 09-24-12 at 08:39 AM.
    09-24-12 08:33 AM
    I still believe the original PlayBook and 4G PlayBook will get BB10 around Summer of 2013, but I also believe RIM will release 2nd Gen PlayBooks built for BB10
    Summer 2013? If the BlackBerry PlayBook does not receive BlackBerry 10 OS before December 31, 2012, Research In Motion can kiss its tablet adventure goodbye. This tablet was meant to showcase the operating platform for future BlackBerry smartphones. Somebody needs to grab Heins by the scruff of the neck and shake him until he awakens from the "walking slumber." If the current development team is not up to the challenge be merciless and fire them en-masse. It has been 18 months since the delayed launch of the BlackBerry PlayBook and nothing but foot-dragging, excuses, back-pedalling, and "we never promised X" has been delivered to demonstrate RIM has the right stuff.
    09-24-12 08:40 AM
    I've always heard BB10 for pb shortly after the phones are out.
    09-24-12 08:54 AM
    Summer 2013? If the BlackBerry PlayBook does not receive BlackBerry 10 OS before December 31, 2012, Research In Motion can kiss its tablet adventure goodbye. This tablet was meant to showcase the operating platform for future BlackBerry smartphones. Somebody needs to grab Heins by the scruff of the neck and shake him until he awakens from the "walking slumber." If the current development team is not up to the challenge be merciless and fire them en-masse. It has been 18 months since the delayed launch of the BlackBerry PlayBook and nothing but foot-dragging, excuses, back-pedalling, and "we never promised X" has been delivered to demonstrate RIM has the right stuff.
    Good thing you're not in charge.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-24-12 09:39 AM
    ...It has been 18 months since the delayed launch of the BlackBerry PlayBook and nothing but foot-dragging, excuses, back-pedalling, and "we never promised X" has been delivered to demonstrate RIM has the right stuff.
    So your claiming the PB launch back in April 2011 was delayed.
    09-24-12 11:50 AM
    Btw Guys Any Sign When PLaybook LTE will Be Avaliable In US Its lastin so long :S
    09-24-12 05:44 PM
    As far as usability it's nowhere near as good. Some compromises had to be made to work reasonably well with a mouse as well as touch. And I'm talking purely about the user interface, not necessarily the underlying OS. PBOS just works very well, Metro is a bit kludgy. For one, the order of open apps can change in Windows 8/RT, which is fine if you're just swapping back and forth between two apps, but less convenient if you have to deal with more. It's also annoying that particularly when it comes to mouse usage, which justifies some of the compromises, it's actually a step back from Windows 7.
    Recent apps are in the order they were last accessed. You can swipe back to the last one (and from there, down the list) or you can pull up the entire list and either tap on an app or drag it out to be used beside the current app. A much more flexible system, really.
    09-24-12 06:21 PM
    PlayBook was to launch Fiscal Year Q1 2011...Which it did. Not delayed.

You don't just throw a completely new platform onto a device. Takes time to do it properly.

An above poster is correct, I'm glad you're not in controll.
    09-24-12 06:47 PM
    Well you'd better kiss it goodbye then, RIM has stated it will be after 31st December 2012. When was the last time RIM over estimated a delay?
    09-25-12 12:35 AM
    Recent apps are in the order they were last accessed. You can swipe back to the last one (and from there, down the list) or you can pull up the entire list and either tap on an app or drag it out to be used beside the current app. A much more flexible system, really.
    I know that, and it's annoying. It's preferable to have them in a fixed order, so you remeber where the apps are without having to look at them. It's like Expos re-arranging the window placement every time you use it, so you have to squint to see where the window you actually want is.
    09-25-12 01:41 PM
    I'd thought I revisit my post because Crackberry Kevin just posted his thoughts that there is no mention of the a BB10 update to the PlayBook at BlackBerry Live.

The only thing I can think of is BlackBerry releasing another generation of tablets running BB10 later this year. Then, PlayBook owners will get the OS update. However, the company might just leave the PlayBook dead with the owners and no update will ever come because they have withdrawal from the tablet market.

Something that Apple has done with their products. A new phone/tablet is released then the older models gets the current OS update. I'm curious if BlackBerry will do the same.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 03:06 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD