Hey All...

Havent posted in a while but I thought I would share my thoughts on the PB vs Galaxy Tab 10.1 with actual time with both devices.

I owned a PB last 2011 but sold it after RIM failed to release 2.0 as promised... Been look at different tablets since this time and recently switched my services from SHAW to TELUS and by doing so received a Samsung Tab 10.1 for doing so.

I've been researching tablets in general for a while now to look at my different options and the Galaxy from what I read seems liked a great solution until I got my hands on it. Don't get me wrong the thing is built really well including a nice screen but the user interface is something to be loathed.

I've been a "tech" guy since I was young and it took me about 3-4 hours of playing around with it to get use to the interfance and during this time it included a few youtube videos on customizing it etc.

I couldnt image putting this tablet or to be honest another Droid tablet in my wifes hands, Fathers or some of my close friends who are less techy. What a disaster. There is no tutorials for first time users and unless you're literate with computers you will browsing email and the web only on this thing.

I really think that the PB is number 2 in the tablet world even if sales dont dictate this. It's a shame as I had a chance to play with PB 2.0 for a good 2 weeks and this thing blows the Android Honey Comb interface away. The benefits of it being interconnecting with a BB phone makes it even more welcoming.

Hopefully RIM will get their straight and blow our pants off with BB10 and maybe a new tablet??
    04-02-12 01:04 AM
    rofl that thing has honeycomb on it, non?
    04-02-12 01:28 AM
    It's not like an android device would get an update to the 'new' software...
    Is ICS even 'new' anymore?
    04-02-12 01:35 AM
    I have been using a Gal Tab 10.1 with Honeycomb since last October, and the user experience is pretty bad. It's super laggy (struggles on 1080p HD youtube videos) and very confusing interface, especially with stupid TouchWiz being implemented on top of it.

My touchpad with Android 4.0 is a bit better. It's less laggy, the interface's cleaned up a bit, but I still like my PlayBook way better...
    04-02-12 01:49 AM
    I have both the Playbook and Samsung 10.1. Comparing them is more than slightly apples and oranges, given the size difference. Each has its points. Many of the comparisons I do find fair to make do not favor the Playbook. While QNX has nice features, such as the bezel gestures, Android really is much more dependable than QNX at this point--I found this out the hard way. Since installing the OS2 update, my Playbook crashes some apps and often hangs on bootup. The Playbook takes about 4 minutes to boot up, and sometimes hangs on the way--swirling blobs forever--and has to be booted again; the Samsung 10.1 takes 35 seconds to boot up and never hangs in the process. I use the Samsung to check my calendar and access online documents during business meetings and the like; I gave up on doing things like that with the Playbook, after it crashed and repeatedly failed to reboot successfully at a time when I really could not have that happen. Too bad, as the 7" size of the Playbook makes it less obtrusive for that kind of use. Both do a good job playing movies. Both have good screens and good interfaces, IMHO. Kids are always playing Netflix movies on the Samsung; can't do that on the Playbook. Samsung has better Wifi range.
    04-02-12 02:49 AM
    I test drove a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a month late last year (gotta luv Costco). I found the build quality to be excellent and the app selection to be quite compelling. However, Android 3.2 was a disaster for me - very laggy, with an inconsistent UI implementation that, like the OP, had me scrambling to YouTube/Google for answers.

Then I picked-up a 16GB PB during the pre-Christmas fire sale at Staples and was blown away by the fluid UI and *real* multitasking (I'm an "NT" guy from way back, so this stuff matters to me).

Long story short, the Tab 10.1 went back to Costco, the 16GB got swapped for a 32GB unit from Office Depot, and I later picked-up another 16GB for my wife (last unit in stock at the local Sprint store).

It's now nearly 4 months later and I still don't regret the decision...

RCK
    04-02-12 04:15 AM
    I would agree with the comments about the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The interface is not an that great. I use my playbook way more. Just a better easier experience.

However it does have better selection of apps on it. And at least a video store in Canada.

RIM needs to get the apps going for the playbook if they want this thing to take off.
    04-02-12 06:23 AM
    I have both the Playbook and Samsung 10.1. Comparing them is more than slightly apples and oranges, given the size difference. Each has its points. Many of the comparisons I do find fair to make do not favor the Playbook. While QNX has nice features, such as the bezel gestures, Android really is much more dependable than QNX at this point--I found this out the hard way. Since installing the OS2 update, my Playbook crashes some apps and often hangs on bootup. The Playbook takes about 4 minutes to boot up, and sometimes hangs on the way--swirling blobs forever--and has to be booted again; the Samsung 10.1 takes 35 seconds to boot up and never hangs in the process. I use the Samsung to check my calendar and access online documents during business meetings and the like; I gave up on doing things like that with the Playbook, after it crashed and repeatedly failed to reboot successfully at a time when I really could not have that happen. Too bad, as the 7" size of the Playbook makes it less obtrusive for that kind of use. Both do a good job playing movies. Both have good screens and good interfaces, IMHO. Kids are always playing Netflix movies on the Samsung; can't do that on the Playbook. Samsung has better Wifi range.
    I think you need to reload the OS on your PB. The behaviour you describe isn't normal.
    04-02-12 06:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD