While I'm waiting for PB OS 2.0 and I've got nothin' better to do..

Here's my wishlist for Playbook 2.0 (hardware), which I think is realistic:

1. Fix the bloody power button! (It's true, I almost never use it, but it just screws over an otherwise good design).
    2. Increase the screen resolution. Give me the full 1080p resolution ideally, but even a minor bump up to 1280x720 might be enough to get me to spring for an upgrade. Of course, this is traded off probably with item 3), 5) below
    3. Battery life boost. It's okay right now, not something I worry about it, but if I could worry about it even less, then better.
    4. Forget the 3 capacity models (sorry, I guess this is where they make the money!). Just have a 16GB model and a microSD slot. Cell phones have room for one, surely a tablet can as well.
    5. CPU speed boost. This is a minor issue as it performs so well right now, I wouldn't take this at the expense of battery life, but well, you can never have too fast, right? :-)

That's about it. Don't touch the form factor, it's just right. Yeah, I was one of the naysayers (original iPad owner) of the 7" format. Then I realized the 7" PB would fit in my jacket pocket, iPad, not even close. This is a biggie for me when I'm commuting. Maybe it's not your case. Overall design is fine, it doesn't need any drastic changes, it's a nice looking and nice handling tablet. After a few months with the PB, it's such a joy to use, even better than the iPad. And don't touch the speakers! Despite the smaller screen size, the speakers alone make watching movies bearable vs on the iPad.
    kennyliu and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-22-12 05:30 PM
    I'd rather see a swappable battery with sd and xG slots in behind the door. Ramp up the Bluetooth with a version 4 stack. This way they could increase the resolution and CPU without fear of battery life.

They could also reduce the bezel and make the screen about 8"s without increasing the overall size.
    Last edited by NFLPLAYBOOK; 01-22-12 at 05:51 PM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-22-12 05:43 PM

1. Fix the bloody power button! (It's true, I almost never use it, but it just screws over an otherwise good design).
    2. Increase the screen resolution. Give me the full 1080p resolution ideally, but even a minor bump up to 1280x720 might be enough to get me to spring for an upgrade. Of course, this is traded off probably with item 3), 5) below
    3. Battery life boost. It's okay right now, not something I worry about it, but if I could worry about it even less, then better.
    4. Forget the 3 capacity models (sorry, I guess this is where they make the money!). Just have a 16GB model and a microSD slot. Cell phones have room for one, surely a tablet can as well.
    5. CPU speed boost. This is a minor issue as it performs so well right now, I wouldn't take this at the expense of battery life, but well, you can never have too fast, right? :-)

That's about it. Don't touch the form factor, it's just right. Yeah, I was one of the naysayers (original iPad owner) of the 7" format. Then I realized the 7" PB would fit in my jacket pocket, iPad, not even close. This is a biggie for me when I'm commuting. Maybe it's not your case. Overall design is fine, it doesn't need any drastic changes, it's a nice looking and nice handling tablet. After a few months with the PB, it's such a joy to use, even better than the iPad. And don't touch the speakers! Despite the smaller screen size, the speakers alone make watching movies bearable vs on the iPad.
    It is not necessarily a trade-off between CPU speed and battery life. Tegra 3 is claimed to be 5 times faster than the 2, but it is also more power efficient.

I think that with some code revision, the OS can be made more power optimized and the current 5300mah battery could get us at least 10 hours. Some Android tablets easily run 7-8 hours with only 4000mah.

Also, 1080p screen resolution would be too much to wish for a 7" display. But 1280x800 would be great. Of course, they should use the same type of screen as on the current PB, which is fabulous.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-22-12 at 05:55 PM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-22-12 05:43 PM
    They aught to change the stereo output jack to be able to record stereo input. As it is now it can record through that jack but only in mono.(or at least it should be able to record because people have successfully used bluetooth mic through the jack in mono)

If it could record in stereo you could eventually use some app for recording that has a line-in function.

That line-in could be all kinds of things including stereo micro-phones, a cd player, line out from a mixer .. Etc
    Last edited by aloon69; 01-22-12 at 05:53 PM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-22-12 05:49 PM

And change the placement of outputs... so we can have it connected to HDMI and charge Stand at the same time... even better - make "stand" for the PB with ALL outputs/inputs in place... no more 100 cables to plug and unplug...
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-22-12 08:05 PM
    And change the placement of outputs... so we can have it connected to HDMI and charge Stand at the same time... even better - make "stand" for the PB with ALL outputs/inputs in place... no more 100 cables to plug and unplug...
    oh yeah!!

NOW you're talking my language!!

The placement of those inputs are soooooo akward!! With the case, you have to use PB upside down, leave case open to charge, can't use charging pod without removing cover...

IMO, I'd much rather see them on one side. It would be MUCH easier to charge with the cover on, but... I like the idea of the stand/charging pod with all the outputs/connectors lined up. set it and forget it!
    01-22-12 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD