Let me start this off by saying that I live in a couple of worlds. I own an iPad 2, but would never buy an iPhone. 4 or 4S. SIRI or not. I own an HTC EVO 4G but think most of the Droid tablets on display these days are pretty lame.

I'm no-one's fan-boy.

In a nut shell, I prefer Android on my phones and iOS on my tablets. Again, for my own reasons.

While out shopping for an X-Mas gift for my 15yr old nephew. I stopped into my local radio shack(I'm in New York city btw) and the clerk told me I HAD to play around with the playbook. My first thought was "Isn't that R.I.M's little toy that got knocked out before it even got it into the ring?" None-the-less, I gave it a shot, and after going back literally 5 days in a row I was hooked!

I wondered how such a cool little device has flown so low to the ground for all these many months. So, I googled 'Blackberry Playbook' on my iPad(go figure)and like Saul, on the Road to Damascus, the veil was lifted from my eyes.

Arrogant, incompetent and other not-so-kind words come to mind when I think of Laurel and Hardy running the show back in Cananda. Who advised these guys to get into the tablet market with a device that functioned best when tied, or 'tethered' for some on you, to a Blackberry Phone. WTF??!!

Maybe R.I.M should add a V.P. of Social Conscience to it's Board of Directors.

What about the other roughly 85%(and growing) of us who don't use BB phones(used one for years at work. Anyone one remember the old BB's that ONLY sent emails?) for one reason or another? It would seem that you made a pretty cool tablet, then said to us "We don't want your money. Go elsewhere, but come back when you're smart enough to also want to own a BB phone." Again, WTF???!!! Even Palm/HP weren't that dumb. They understood that most purchase their mobile phones and their tablets for a completely different set of reasons. Whatever those reasons may be. It just is, what it is. Apple knows that. Google knows that. Steve Jobs knew that.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO FIX THIS:

1.) Understand the mentality of the mass market tablet buyer. They want apps and a way to stay in contact with the rest of the world. They want their Kindle books and Netflix. They sit in coffee shops and search for jobs using a Career Builder app or something from Monster. WORD and EXCEL are GREAT. But the number of consumers who want Tiny Tower and Trade Nations, vastly outnumber the folks writing essays and crunching numbers as they wait for connecting flights between business meetings. And many, seriously MANY, want to put the phone away, and just play with their toy with the bright display.

2.) Innovate. By the time R.I.M launches those new phones, I can almost promise that Apple will have put out a T.V. using SIRI and Google has already announced that it is launching 150 Premium YouTube internet channels to compete with Cable service in the U.S. The world is moving forward without you. Get your heads out of the sand and innovate, Innovate, INNOVATE.

3.) OR, decide that Enterprise is the future of the company(ridiculous actually, as Apple and Motorola/Android are already making headway into this area. Enterprise decision makers are made up of individuals whose sons and daughters scream iPad/iPhone/Samsung Galaxy S II/ at the dinner table each night. This is then carried to work the next and morning, and the ball starts rolling down hill) and re-convince the enterprise buyers that R.I.M is still the company that it once was but for a smaller market/buyer. Make fewer Playbooks and fewer phones for a more niche buyer and get your profits back up.

I want to finish-up by saying that I really like the playbook. R.I.M has made a cool product but has also made some behind-the-scenes errors that may result in the early demise of a really fantastic device.

Do these things and maybe I won't put this thing on Craigslist. 'Cause I'm not an iPad fanatic, but I can't find enough things to do with this Playbook.

Enjoy your Holidays, and have a Very Merry New Year!!

Typos, Grammatical Errors and Anything That Just Doesn't Make Sense are Courtesy of My iPad...
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-25-11 at 06:20 PM.
    12-25-11 12:55 PM
    The Playbook was rushed to market - bridge filled in the gaps that they couldn't fix in time for release.

You'll get your "fix" when OS2 makes its debut - it should address the app issues as long as Android folks are willing to port their code over.

RIM has never givenup on enterprise - new features in the upcoming bes will include the ability to manage other platforms and they are pushing for BB Balance that will enable users to keep corporate and personal lives separate.
    dbeir likes this.
    12-25-11 01:21 PM
    Good advice. Not going to happen as long as Laurel and Hardy are still employed. Laurel and Hardy are running the board. Laurel and Hardy are not going to fire themselves.
    Revampd likes this.
    12-25-11 01:25 PM
    Good advice. Not going to happen as long as Laurel and Hardy are still employed. Laurel and Hardy are running the board. Laurel and Hardy are not going to fire themselves.

wow... you've dated yourself with that reference . I had to google those names to figure out what you were talking about.
    12-25-11 01:57 PM
    as someone that owns an ipad and ipad 2...

I honestly cannot fathom what would make someone say that a playbook is useless while they use an ipad 2. Honestly. The ipad 2 never gets used. not even by the Apple Fan Girl I married. I catch her using the playbook all the time... while the iPads still there looking pretty.. and pointless.
    BBThaigurl likes this.
    12-25-11 02:32 PM
    Who advised these guys to get into the tablet market with a device that functioned best when tied, or 'tethered' for some on you, to a Blackberry Phone. WTF??!!

Maybe R.I.M should add a V.P. of Social Conscience to it's Board of Directors.

What about the other roughly 85%(and growing) of us who don't use BB phones(used one for years at work. Anyone one remember the old BB's that ONLY sent emails?) for one reason or another? It would seem that you made a pretty cool tablet, then said to us "We don't want your money. Go elsewhere but come back when you're smart enough to also want to own a BB phone." Again, WTF???!!!
    I think you've been misled. you can use your android phone with PB just fine
    12-25-11 02:46 PM

I honestly cannot fathom what would make someone say that a playbook is useless while they use an ipad 2. Honestly. The ipad 2 never gets used. not even by the Apple Fan Girl I married. I catch her using the playbook all the time... while the iPads still there looking pretty.. and pointless.
    You're showing your bias. I didn't say it was useless. But to say that the iPad is 'pointless' is ridiculous.
    12-25-11 02:56 PM

I can't fathom why someone would buy both an iPad and an iPad 2. But that's me.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not criticizing the iPad; it's just that the difference between the iPad and iPad 2 is minor enough that it seems foolish to buy both.
    Last edited by Economist101; 12-25-11 at 03:19 PM.
    12-25-11 03:07 PM
    playbook suits me sooo much better than my ipad2.7 inches is the way to go and apple is finally admitting that, as the new ipad will be a more portable 7 and a half inch tablet. i can wait until os2 for email and calender as my phone does both of them nicely.Os2 will just be icing on the cake for me.I love this device.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-25-11 03:32 PM
    Misled, you are! OP's referring to BB bridging to PB to get email, PIM functions and tethering.

According to some on this forum, you must have BB to tether for free as well, which really isn't unique to PB + BB either.
    12-25-11 03:37 PM
    playbook suits me sooo much better than my ipad2.7 inches is the way to go and apple is finally admitting that, as the new ipad will be a more portable 7 and a half inch tablet. i can wait until os2 for email and calender as my phone does both of them nicely.Os2 will just be icing on the cake for me.I love this device.
    iPad is going to a 7 inch screen?? Where did you hear that? Jobs hated the idea of the 7 tablet. I don't have the info you have, but find that rather hard to believe. Why would Apple change what's selling like hot cakes for them?
    12-25-11 04:11 PM
    wow... you've dated yourself with that reference . I had to google those names to figure out what you were talking about.
    Idk about that, I'm only 23 and I know who Laurel and Hardy are. They were pretty popular back in the day, so much so that I still heard about them when I was growing up.

I think he was saying that if you don't have a BB phone, you can't use Bridge, making it impossible or extremely cumbersome to do email on the PlayBook.
    12-25-11 04:24 PM
    Well, I could say YOU dated YOURSELF by having to google those references (laurel and hardy). Would Abbot and Costello or the Marx Brothers be better?
    Lead_Express likes this.
    12-25-11 04:34 PM
    iPad is going to a 7 inch screen?? Where did you hear that? Jobs hated the idea of the 7 tablet. I don't have the info you have, but find that rather hard to believe. Why would Apple change what's selling like hot cakes for them?
    My $.02, because they (Apple) know that Samsung will ultimately be there biggest competition. Look at their offering...10.1, 8.9, 7, 5 sizes plus their phones, pcs and tvs. Apples knows better than anyone that the competition can not have any advantage.
    12-25-11 05:47 PM
    That report is based on what Apple is ordering from parts manufacturers. I believe it's closer to 8" and it's not replacing 10" tablet. They are seeing smaller tablet market now.

If they release such product, it will be a h e l l for developers as it presents a new form factor and they may need to release new apps tailored for it, but it also presents a significant completion for all others with smaller tablets. Of course, price will be a big factor there.
    Last edited by conix67; 12-25-11 at 05:56 PM.
    12-25-11 05:48 PM
    Yes, it is strange that those two elves up north would bring out a half-baked device--with incomplete OS and not even the 10 or so basic apps that everyone expects on a tablet--knowing full well the competition it would be up against. It was a no-brainer that anyone introducing a new OS would have to go to extra lengths to roll out a complete package if the tablet was to have a chance. Instead, RIM apparently thought it could sell the Playbook by calling it a "professional" tablet and promising software in the future. Bad mistake--those days are long past. Bridge didn't come close to making up the difference even for BB phone users; and, as the OP noted, most potential customers are not BB phone users.

Bashing the iPad doesn't help, either. I can't take seriously the accounts you find on this forum by people who find that their kids, friends and visitors all prefer the Playbook. My experience has been the opposite--most people encountering both definitely go for the iPad, especially the kids. The reasons are not hard to understand; the iPad's screen is twice the size of the Playbook's, and bigger is better for a lot of applications; the iPad has a lot more apps and is more likely to have apps the person is familiar with; and, let's not kid ourselves, the iPad provides a very nice overall package and has earned a lot of user recognition. The Playbook has its strengths, including that you can slip it into a coat pocket, but with a 7" screen and holding probably a poor fifth in the app department, an iPad Killer it is not.

I doubt RIM can recover from its mistakes at this point, especially with the $199 price point that the Fire seems to have established for 7 inch tablets. But, bringing out OS2 in February along with the remaining basic apps and functionality that we presently lack, might give it a chance. I wish RIM every success--it would be nice to have a fully-baked OS and more software for my Playbook.
    12-25-11 06:01 PM
    If they release such product, it will be a h e l l for developers as it presents a new form factor and they may need to release new apps tailored for it, but it also presents a significant completion for all others with smaller tablets. Of course, price will be a big factor there.
    It's worth reminding everyone that Apple has said absolutely nothing about a smaller iPad. We've heard rumors in the past of a smaller iPhone, an iPhone with a keyboard, etc.

Not saying we definitely won't see an 8" iPad. But so far this is just a rumor.
    12-25-11 06:14 PM
    Bashing the iPad doesn't help, either.
    I think maybe the RIM executives didn't take the iPad seriously or didn't appreciate all the details involved in building a product that refined. That was a personal project of Jobs on and off for many years.

The "amateur hour is over" ad sort of captured that attitude pretty well, don't you think? Maybe now they take their competitors a bit more seriously.
    12-25-11 06:19 PM
    That report is based on what Apple is ordering from parts manufacturers. I believe it's closer to 8" and it's not replacing 10" tablet. They are seeing smaller tablet market now.

its not going to be at all. both iphone and ipad use the exact same sdk. developing for higher resolution iphone 4 vs old iphones wasn't that difficult at all either. as long as you start off a design for scalability (which EVERY design job should do anyway) its fine. there wasn't any huge transition period at all between the two. RIM doesn't have the same luxury by changing OS's completely.
    12-25-11 06:24 PM
    its not going to be at all. both iphone and ipad use the exact same sdk. developing for higher resolution iphone 4 vs old iphones wasn't that difficult at all either. as long as you start off a design for scalability (which EVERY design job should do anyway) its fine. there wasn't any huge transition period at all between the two. RIM doesn't have the same luxury by changing OS's completely.
    One of the reasons IPhone and IPad apps are better (than current Android counter parts) is because they were tailored for those specific form factors. While the apps themselves will not be difficult to port to 8" device, they will need to be redesign for the new form factor. Just look at IPad apps vs IPhone apps of the same title (or HD versions for IPad vs IPhone).

Designing for scalability can get you only so far unfortunately. It will never look as good as those that are designed specifically for the given size/form factor.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-25-11 07:23 PM
    I think maybe the RIM executives didn't take the iPad seriously or didn't appreciate all the details involved in building a product that refined. That was a personal project of Jobs on and off for many years.

The "amateur hour is over" ad sort of captured that attitude pretty well, don't you think? Maybe now they take their competitors a bit more seriously.
    thats the attitude they had when the iphone came out and look at where it is now. come on rim...
    12-25-11 07:41 PM
    One of the reasons IPhone and IPad apps are better (than current Android counter parts) is because they were tailored for those specific form factors. While the apps themselves will not be difficult to port to 8" device, they will need to be redesign for the new form factor. Just look at IPad apps vs IPhone apps of the same title (or HD versions for IPad vs IPhone).

Designing for scalability can get you only so far unfortunately. It will never look as good as those that are designed specifically for the given size/form factor.
    oh i completely agree! and by scalability i dont mean literally (as in just make vectors twice the size or something) but just the need to keep in mind that there will be other form factors out there.
    12-25-11 07:43 PM
    thats the attitude they had when the iphone came out and look at where it is now. come on rim...
    Nero played the fiddle...
    12-26-11 09:03 AM
    Misled, you are! OP's referring to BB bridging to PB to get email, PIM functions and tethering.

According to some on this forum, you must have BB to tether for free as well, which really isn't unique to PB + BB either.
    ah ok. forgive my enthusiasm it took me 3 days to find out that I can wifi browse and manage files + media between my PB and droid for free without needing an internet connection so I'm still a bit giddy lol
    12-27-11 01:37 AM
    ah ok. forgive my enthusiasm it took me 3 days to find out that I can wifi browse and manage files + media between my PB and droid for free without needing an internet connection so I'm still a bit giddy lol
    can't you just bluetooth between the two?
    12-27-11 01:39 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD