09-12-12 07:10 PM
55 123
tools
    Yes, I would take a guess that CrackedBarry hasn't tried a Playbook? $118 for a 32GB, and $99 for a 16GB are killer prices. Granted the PB, at over a year old, isn't the freshest thing out there, but these prices are encouraging people to buy them (hence them often being sold when I try to get them), but when the new OS 10 arrives, it's gonna rock these 'cheap' tablets. Oh, and have you held one of these 'Walmart' Playbooks? The build quality is so rock solid, I don't worry about treating it gingerly, like a did with the Iconia I had and returned. That thing felt like a sheet of glass, ready to slide out of my hands and shatter. Or the plasticy Nexus 7? People, your crazy not to get a PB at these prices!
    09-12-12 02:33 PM
    I love RIM for being able to produce a product this good for so cheap. If I had paid 399 I probably would've lost sleep over it; and THAT is "brand damage".
    I hate to call out a Blackberry fan like yourself, but your theory is heavily flawed.
    RIM isn't able to produce a product this good for so cheap; they are selling the Playbook at a loss - a massive loss.

As for losing sleep at $399; imagine what those of us who bought the device on launch day for $799 or higher feel. About the only good thing that the low prices have done for me is that now I don't worry about breaking my existing Playbook as much as I did before - I can always replace it for the price of a cup of coffee <--sarcasm
    09-12-12 04:53 PM
    RIM isn't able to produce a product this good for so cheap; they are selling the Playbook at a loss - a massive loss.

As for losing sleep at $399; imagine what those of us who bought the device on launch day for $799 or higher feel. About the only good thing that the low prices have done for me is that now I don't worry about breaking my existing Playbook as much as I did before - I can always replace it for the price of a cup of coffee <--sarcasm
    I could only imagine the inconvinience, fortunately

But what I meant was that its just convinient that I can get a marvel of a tablet for what is essentially pocket change.
    The closest you get for that price are awful Chinese Ipad clones. Its refreshing that I can get what is (essentially - not literally) a flagship tablet for 129. And its not even the cheapest model.
    Even the cheapest N7 with an abysmal 8gb storage is about 40 more than the 64gb BBPB.
    Its awful for RIM, but its a damn tasty offer for us.
    Darlaten likes this.
    09-12-12 05:09 PM
    LATEST PRICES:

Staples 16gb Playbook = $99
    Staples 32gb Playbook = $118
    Staples 64gb Playbook = $219

Unfortunately all 3 OUT OF STOCK!!!!

Is this a joke? Did they sell *ANY* at that price, or are they just trying to make it look like they did to drive up traffic to their site/stores?

Did the employees grab up all the inventory?

.............. On an added note.....

SPEAKING AS A USER:

I have 2 playbooks already (for myself and my wife), and I encouraged my parents states-side to buy one as well, they picked up a 64gb (I'm so jealous!!!) for $250 and now we do Video Chat much more often than using Skype with the laptop. It is way easier for my parents who are 65+. They are having fun learning the Playbook interface. :-)

I bought mine for $199 back in November 2011. I have NO COMPLAINTS at all.... I am HAPPY that the Playbooks are so cheap so that everyone can get them and increase the number of users so that when BB10 launches there will be greater apps and user-base.

SPEAKING AS A DEVELOPER:

This gives more people the chance to try some of the amazing apps on Playbook, including some of my apps (shameless plug):

- smoking calculator
    - talking alarm text clock demo/pro
    - raspberry pi app

Go Playbook Go!!!! I just wish they weren't all SOLD OUT....
    Last edited by edyb; 09-12-12 at 07:10 PM.
    09-12-12 06:58 PM
    LATEST PRICES:

Staples 16gb Playbook = $99
    Staples 32gb Playbook = $118
    Staples 64gb Playbook = $219

Unfortunately all 3 OUT OF STOCK!!!!

Is this a joke? Did they sell *ANY* at that price, or are they just trying to make it look like they did to drive up traffic to their site/stores?

Did the employees grab up all the inventory?
    Staples often does this with items they don't have many of.....I've seen it so many times. Sometimes doesn't matter though, because it sometimes forces other retailers, especially those who price match, to drop their prices.
    09-12-12 07:10 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD