I hope BB10 helps out with development. By opening up the market to BB phones and tablet, hopefully it will encourage more development.

Anyways, I bought mine for $100 at Best Buy. Iev been using it for school and absolutely I love it. Native support for viewing and editing power point/documents. qPDF Note for viewing and making notes in my books. Love how they use the frame for gestures and the ability for mouse and keyboard is really attractive.

AND ITS GOT FLASH! So I can watch live streams of Football!
    09-11-12 12:11 AM
    I think this is a huge opportunity for people who have not experienced how great the pb is to finally try it. at this.price point, I think it will be highly attractive for people who are traditionally apple or android fans to give it a try and judge for themselves how good this device...my bet is that they will be pleasantly surprised...it is insanely good value!
    Last edited by Bumble2000; 09-11-12 at 01:23 AM.
    09-11-12 01:17 AM
    I think this is a huge opportunity for people who have not experienced how great the pb is to finally try it. at this.price point, I think it will be highly attractive for people who are traditionally apple or android fans to give it a try and judge for themselves how good this device...my bet is that they will be pleasantly surprised...it is insanely good value!
    This.
    I came from Android, as I was looking at buying a Nexus 7 until I saw an internet ad regarding the Playbook. I remember thinking "I remember that tablet", as well as the huge price tag that came with it when it was first released.
    So yeah, I bought that instead, (who could resist a price of �129?) and I couldnt be happier; its so much better than the N7.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    09-11-12 01:35 AM
    I'm itching to get a 64GB playbook, but I already have the 32gb, what the HECK are you guys doing with the second playbook? I just can't justify getting another playbook!
    I want to get one for family member

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    09-11-12 05:02 AM
    I wish I could find them for that price state side. I'd get 5 tomorrow. Every since I gave my sister a 16GB other family members are drooling over it. Her husband wants to video chat lol. Great birthday presents.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-11-12 05:11 AM
    Saw this online today... Staples.ca. However, 16gb out of stock! But the 32gb is AVAILABLE at $149.

Playbook 32gb $149 at all major retailers (Bestbuy, Staples, Walmart). Many are OUT OF STOCK?

So the question is, what is going on here???!?? What is the motivation behind the price dropping??? Any ideas??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    The price is dropping because the PlayBook came out in April of 2011. It's now September of 2012.
    09-11-12 07:18 AM
    If you don't need storage (or if you use the usb cable) 16 Gig is plenty. Same processor etc. To me the deal is buying a very good tablet for $129.00. I paid $1,000 for the Commodore 64 for Pete's sake. And it's not the HP, this one will be around for awhile even though they are supposedly discontinuing the 16G. When they ran out at Xmas and everyone was hollering, RIMM did another big production run - that's why they are selling so cheap. They still appear to be improving the OS.

Either way as it sits mine does everything I need. The mail works great, the browser is fine and books come up on the screen perfectly sized. I do my Geek stuff on the laptop and really have no desire to change anything on the Playbook.
    09-11-12 07:34 AM
    Walmart Canada has it in their flyer starting in Quebec tomorrow and the rest of Canada Friday at $118 for a 32GB Playbook. This is for Walmart's anniversary sale so they must be clearing stock as well.
    09-11-12 08:08 AM
    I'm itching to get a 64GB playbook, but I already have the 32gb, what the HECK are you guys doing with the second playbook? I just can't justify getting another playbook!
    I bought another as alot of people on here seemed to have two....lol

One on charge,one to use...lol

My intension is to use one as a media player mostly via the hdmi and to keep one pretty much empty for browsing and a bit of music etc.

At the current price i really didn't mind buying two,i would have felt alot worse if i had paid top dollar for them.
    09-11-12 08:22 AM
    Uhm. They are trying to recover whatever they can. It's not selling at all. what do you expect them to do with them? Keep them as a memento? It's obvious they cannot be given away.
    09-11-12 11:55 AM
    09-11-12 12:43 PM
    Picked up 32GB at Staples yesterday for $149. WM will have it this weekend for $118 so will get price match. To some of the naysayers here, sure, it's clearing stock and newer, lower priced devices are coming out all the time, but none have the build quality of the Playbooks. Also, when BB10 arrives for these, there will be lot of people kicking themselves for not grabbing them while they were available. Stock is getting harder to get.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-11-12 01:23 PM
    Saw this online today... Staples.ca. However, 16gb out of stock! But the 32gb is AVAILABLE at $149.

Playbook 32gb $149 at all major retailers (Bestbuy, Staples, Walmart). Many are OUT OF STOCK?

So the question is, what is going on here???!?? What is the motivation behind the price dropping??? Any ideas??

The Source is selling it for $129 too:

BlackBerry PlayBooks | TheSource.ca
    09-11-12 01:42 PM
    Justify? I never do that. I just "Do it". LoL

I buy the 64GB and "hand me down" the other 16GB and 32GB to family members. Share the experience. And we can all video chat too. LoL
    09-11-12 02:07 PM
    The batteries in many units on the shelf are fast approaching 18 months since they were installed at the factory at 40% state of charge. Even at a conservative self-discharge rate of only 2%/month, these units are on the brink of not accepting an initial charge.
    My build date is 03/30/2012 They are not that old.
    09-11-12 02:30 PM
    09-11-12 02:31 PM
    598$ Walmart belair Maryland U.S 32 gig

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    09-11-12 02:52 PM
    My build date is 03/30/2012 They are not that old.
    The two i bought a couple of weeks were....june 2011,bought online and august 2012,bought instore.
    09-11-12 02:54 PM
    As a few people have stated I will start my holiday shopping early and quite a few of my family/friends will be getting PB's for fesstaviss
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-11-12 05:13 PM
    Sounds like a fantastic deal. I really wanted to hold out for the 64 but it seems like quantities are running out quickly!
    09-11-12 06:40 PM
    Playbook now down to 99$ at Staples.
    Neely2005 and Graheem like this.
    09-12-12 04:50 AM
    Is it worth it though? For RIM I mean...
    (For the consumer it miiight be an ok deal. Though even at $99 I dont know.. It STILL is a Playbook... It's probably a better investment in the long run to save up for a month or two, and either get the Kindle or iPad Mini if it ever comes out. Trust me, I should know... I had a Touchpad . )

I mean, sure, they get to clean out their inventory. But what about brand damage? Getting the Playbook associated with the cheap, dingy 99$ Walmart tablets. Since they've already taken the financial hit with the 400 million dollar write off, wouldn't it be a better idea to just keep the Playbook at 399/499 and dump the remaining unsold stock in a landfill somewhere?!?

BTW: Even though I'd recommend people to spend 169 or 299 and get a Kindle instead of a Playbook, at 99$ it probably IS a better deal than the 99$ Android abominations, resistive screen, Android 2.3 and all...
    Last edited by CrackedBarry; 09-12-12 at 07:28 AM.
    09-12-12 07:20 AM
    Why are all the deals in Canada? I live State-side and have checked online all the stores everyone has said they are getting great deals at, yet the same ones here are reduced, but not insanely as they are across the border.
    09-12-12 08:12 AM

32GB PlayBook on special for $118 @ Walmart Canada:

How low can you go: 32GB Wi-Fi PlayBook dropping to $118 outright | MobileSyrup.com
    09-12-12 08:58 AM
    Brand damage is less significant than a massive loss.
    If they kept at 399, hardly any would sell.
    Clearing them at a low price not only reduces the loss that they've suffered; it would raise awareness of the Playbook.
    If the playbook wasn't so cheap, I would have never bought it. Then I would never have fallen in love with it. Then I would never have suggested it to friends and family. But because it was cheap, I bought it, loved it, and have ultimately thought about switching completely to Blackberry from Android.
    "Brand damage" is a ludicrous theory if I ever heard one. Who cares how much it costs? I sure as don't. Heck, I love RIM for being able to produce a product this good for so cheap. If I had paid 399 I probably would've lost sleep over it; and THAT is "brand damage".
    I hate to call out a Blackberry fan like yourself, but your theory is heavily flawed.
    09-12-12 09:51 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD