Hi all,

First post so be gentle

I got a 64gb playbook last month as an implulse buy ( well it was �120 in currys ), I bought it with the intention of using it as a cheap MP3 player for the stereo and as it had 64gb it was much better value than a similar sized ipod. But having used it solidly for a month I 've got to say, it's the best tablet i've had/used so far. Everything just seems to work and it's the best bang for the buck you can get imho.

I mostly use it for browsing, iplayer etc, i've even used it at work for note taking. My 9 year old loves it so much, he hasn't even played on the DS all month - so he may be getting one for christmas.

I've browsed these forums quite a bit and found much usefull information.

I quite often see the skype question being raised and I have to wonder why RIM don't just release their own video chat client for Linux/OSX/Windows. I also wish RIM would just turn on the USB port, I'd probably never need another deivce then.

One thing I am suprised about is how little the playbook seems to be known here in the UK ( i've started doing my bit to remedy this, after demoing it to two others at my company, they bought one as well ).

Well that's it, i'm a playbook convert and am looking forward to the coming months.

Cheers
    Last edited by uncle_numpty; 10-29-12 at 06:08 AM. Reason: bad spelling
    FF22, wafa510, canuckvoip and 3 others like this.
    10-29-12 06:06 AM
    Cheers and welcome
    10-29-12 06:44 AM
    some suggestions her for rim to co-operate to create new video conferance app makes a lot of sense

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    10-29-12 07:03 AM
    Congrats Good work getting the 64gb model. I replaced my "lost" 64 with a 16 and I have been pretty much regretting it, haha. The more space the better, for sure
    10-29-12 07:14 AM
    Better get the one for your kid fast, since it's getting rare and rare. Don't wait until X-Mas.
    Buy it and keep it. Because I don't see the price could getting lower.
    10-29-12 08:34 AM
    In regards to Skype, I think there are three rumors floating about. First, they are saving it for BB10. Second, MS is holding out and isn't interested in building the app (N4BB). Third, RIM has built a Skpye like App running through BBM. As to the last, there was a brief video on the Internet of BBM where you had voice, screen sharing and text feed simultaneously. RIM through its lawyers killed the video in just a few hours. Interesting.
    10-29-12 08:52 AM
    I to picked up a 64gb Playbook last week, and its a revelation, not as good as my SGT P1000 but thats got 3G (so adds more worldly value in my opinion and I don't have a BB handset, iphone 3GS user) and I actually enjoy rooting and flashing updated OS kernels. The Playbook however is my rock, line in the sand etc, I can use it when my SGT is in a state of brokeness lol.

I actually picked up my Playbook for my 1 year old to play about on to keep him off the SGT, i'm really impressed with how gentle he's been with it and he seems to genuinely know what he's doing when he plays about on it.

I was originally intending to get my Playbook from Currys because I had a voucher but they were sold out in my area, ironically the local PC World had them in stock but my voucher wasn't valid there, didn't stop my paying up though. �129 for a 64gb tablet is a steal, especially if BB honour the device by releasing BB10 for it keeping it current.

I would like a skype app on the Playbook but only as a play/learn tool for my wee boy, we've played skype video on the SGT and my PS Vita from different rooms (where's Daddy?). Or a quick and easy monitoring tool when he's playing in 1 room and you've got to check on the progress of something cooking.

One neat feature of the Playbook is that I can browse from the SGT to the IP of the Playbook and stream a video directly from the PB while my boy plays a painting game. It take a wee while to open but it works. So if my 16gb+32gb Tab doesn't have enough storage I can share some of the Playbooks 64gb, it'll hardly ever be used but its still a nice feature.
    d.flex likes this.
    10-29-12 10:02 AM
    Congrats and welcome. Most of us are friendly and helpful so no worries - we'll be gentle with you. You definitely got a better deal than some of us (ME ) but I've had my pb for over a year and wouldn't trade it for any other tablet - it's the perfect fit for what I need. You'll find it can do a lot more than some will say it can so all that matters is if it works for you. If you're a reader, there are a couple of good epub readers in AppWorld (I personally like Book Reader) and listening to music, playing games, or watching a movie on the Playbook is happiness to me. Again, congrats and if you have any questions, there are some really smart folks in here who will be happy to help.
    10-29-12 11:13 AM
    I bought a PB for my son's birthday almost a month ago. He's a die hard iboy, if the name on the device doesn't start with an "i" it's immediately "no good"! We'll just last night I saw him totally engrossed in a game while sitting on the sofa. I waited for a pause in the action and then asked, "what do you think of your PB now that you've had it for a few weeks?
    He suddenly "forgot he was wearing his ihat" and said this is an amazing tablet. He then went on to rave about the image quality on the screen, how well everything just worked and the UI is perfect.
    Suddenly he realized he was talking about a BB product and added it would be perfect except it doesn't have enough apps. So I asked, "what apps in particular do you want/need that you can't find in app world? He hummed and hawed, mumbling that there are "so many". I kept at him asking him to start by naming one, he couldn't and went back to playing his game. The rest of us, his mom and brother are all BB, might have a convert ready for BB10.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    10-29-12 02:39 PM
    Welcome and it is good first post. An honest and fair review.
    Hope you enjoy your PlayBook for many more months.
    10-29-12 02:43 PM
    I was not in a market for a tablet until Playbook. I have no expectation or knowledge about it other than knowing a few people who own Ipads. It was the price drop that got me interested. Perhaps that's the reason why I was not as critical or regularly compare my device with other makes. After all. I believe you get what you pay for. However, I get more from my Playbook than I expected. So it's a win win purchase for me. Congrats to the OP for a good buy.
    10-29-12 02:57 PM
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome! You'll find the community to be a friendly and helpful place. I'm always finding new ways to use my PlayBook. From being able to share files from it, to connecting to a TV via HDMI and playing videos (even playing a video on the TV while doing something else on the PlayBook at the same time). Even the video conferencing is pretty good (although I keep hoping for Skype to arrive). It should really get a boost once BB10 makes its way onto it.
    10-29-12 09:23 PM
    I got mine from Currys too, and it's been the best �129 I've ever spent. My home laptop, that would be used while watching TV has now remained unbooted as the PB does all I want from a more convenient platform.

It'd be really nice if MS did the smartglass app for it as they've done for android devices, I'd love USB OTG and bluetooth file sharing to be enabled...... oh and when I scroll left from screen 1 why doesn't it flip to the last screen and vice versa ?

I got it to use when on motorcycle trips and it's worked a treat for that role, tethering to my bluetooth nokia n8 for internet connection when out of wifi range all in all a fantastic device and just the right size for popping in the side cases on the bike

I even had it propped on a bathroom shelve watching a program about the Voyager spacecraft on BBC iplayer the other evening while taking a relaxing bath
    10-31-12 09:28 AM
    I got mine from Currys too, and it's been the best �129 I've ever spent. My home laptop, that would be used while watching TV has now remained unbooted as the PB does all I want from a more convenient platform.

It'd be really nice if MS did the smartglass app for it as they've done for android devices, I'd love USB OTG and bluetooth file sharing to be enabled...... oh and when I scroll left from screen 1 why doesn't it flip to the last screen and vice versa ?

I got it to use when on motorcycle trips and it's worked a treat for that role, tethering to my bluetooth nokia n8 for internet connection when out of wifi range all in all a fantastic device and just the right size for popping in the side cases on the bike

I even had it propped on a bathroom shelve watching a program about the Voyager spacecraft on BBC iplayer the other evening while taking a relaxing bath
    I recommend get the JoikuSpot for internet sharing on that N8. Bluetooth tend to drain battery faster than wifi.
    10-31-12 11:37 AM
    Welcome and congrats on a great purchase! Be sure to pop into the apps forum regularly. You can often get an early line on a new app or you can post about what you are looking for and someone will have some ideas of an app that fills that role. Several developers too are quite active in that forum and they like to get feedback on their apps.
    10-31-12 03:09 PM
    I have had mine for three weeks. I learn something with it every day! Mine was an impulse buy and well worth what I spent.
    10-31-12 03:23 PM
    Hi all,

First post so be gentle

I got a 64gb playbook last month as an implulse buy ( well it was �120 in currys ), I bought it with the intention of using it as a cheap MP3 player for the stereo and as it had 64gb it was much better value than a similar sized ipod. But having used it solidly for a month I 've got to say, it's the best tablet i've had/used so far. Everything just seems to work and it's the best bang for the buck you can get imho.
    Cheers
    my first one was an impluse buy. Tried it out and it is great for my needs (vs other tablets out there) after a few months decided to get a second unit for my child to use. I found it easier and lighter for her to hold and handle since it is not big and heavy.
    10-31-12 04:15 PM