11-26-13 06:10 PM
58 123
tools
    I'm in the market for a tablet. Don't want to break the bank and for the next two years I only really need it for completing some online upgrading courses.

I ended up purchasing a Nexus 7, installed the "flash player" and opened my online course. Unfortunately it doesn't work as needed. I was unable to fast-forward and rewind the vids and also wasn't able to select the answer key vids in a touchy drop-down window.

I'm leaning toward the $350 Windows Surface RT but would love to stick with BlackBerry and get a Playbook. The problem is there are no stores around that carry the PB and I don't know anyone that has one that I could test out.

Does anyone know if the PB works well with flash player? My Q10 actually works good except you cannot "pan" the screen around when zoomed in. The only way to "pan" is to zoom in or out at the sametime which really doesn't work.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 11:18 PM
    Flash seems to work fine in most cases with the PlayBook. My suggestion is getting a Surface PRO rather than RT
    11-19-13 11:27 PM
    I'm in the market for a tablet. Don't want to break the bank and for the next two years I only really need it for completing some online upgrading courses.

I ended up purchasing a Nexus 7, installed the "flash player" and opened my online course. Unfortunately it doesn't work as needed. I was unable to fast-forward and rewind the vids and also wasn't able to select the answer key vids in a touchy drop-down window.

I'm leaning toward the $350 Windows Surface RT but would love to stick with BlackBerry and get a Playbook. The problem is there are no stores around that carry the PB and I don't know anyone that has one that I could test out.

Does anyone know if the PB works well with flash player? My Q10 actually works good except you cannot "pan" the screen around when zoomed in. The only way to "pan" is to zoom in or out at the sametime which really doesn't work.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted via CB10
    If the only reason you are zooming in is because text is too small, hook it up to a TV or a monitor.

Get a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable and connect it to your TV, then get a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

There you've got a brand new computer.
    No need to even buy a new tablet.

If you're set on buying a tablet, or if the solution I provided above is not good enough I can test whatever site you need to go to on my Playbook.
    In general, most sites work (including flash content). My biggest gripes is hover menus. The ones where you put your mouse over a menu and more options are supposed to appear.

Playbook Vs Surface is a terrible option comparison since their prices are completely different. It really depends on your needs and how much you are willing to put up with.
    Ankieberry likes this.
    11-19-13 11:29 PM
    Honestly, I'm going to say get the Surface. See if you can get the Surface Pro (will replace a laptop, pretty much guaranteed). I'd say get the Surface Pro 2, but it looks like you're trying to stay cheap, and a grand is certainly not cheap.

A huge advantage the Surface has is its keyboard (either Touch or Type Cover; I recommend the Type with real scissor-keys but <3 mm thick.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    TheAnalogkid likes this.
    11-19-13 11:41 PM
    Yes, the PRO would be killer but I just can't spend that money for something I don't need.

I travel weekly with work so really need a tablet. Thanks so much for the offer but I would need to give you my login and password and it would be pretty hard to explain all the areas to test. If only I could pick one up at a big box store and test it out.

Can anyone recommend an online store that takes returns in Canada?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 11:50 PM
    You could pick up a PlayBook on kijiji for $100 and its Web browser runs flash stuff fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 12:08 AM
    You could pick up a PlayBook on kijiji for $100 and its Web browser runs flash stuff fine.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that the same thing with the surface 2/RT? It runs flash

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-20-13 12:09 AM
    What about a dell venue 8 pro or 11 pro. The 8inch is $300 for the 32gb model and $350 for the 64gb model. Runs full windows 8.1 not RT which means you'll get access to all desktop level programs. If you need more power, try the 11inch model. There are other brands/models for a full win8.1 experience but I'm still liking the overall feel of the dell for some reason.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 12:12 AM
    Yea you are right, but I was just suggesting something on the cheap that would be effective for his one requirement.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 12:13 AM
    With BB10 and the new update BBM and SMS are on bridge. Otherwise I vote Surface if you really require a modern machine.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 12:14 AM
    I suggest you root your nexus 7 and install flash player
    You dont need to buy new tablet

Posted via CB10.2.1 using my Awsome Q10
    11-20-13 12:18 AM
    Surface RT
    11-20-13 12:27 AM
    What about a dell venue 8 pro or 11 pro. The 8inch is $300 for the 32gb model and $350 for the 64gb model. Runs full windows 8.1 not RT which means you'll get access to all desktop level programs. If you need more power, try the 11inch model. There are other brands/models for a full win8.1 experience but I'm still liking the overall feel of the dell for some reason.

Posted via CB10
    I strongly suggest the same, I have Dell Venue 8 Pro, running windows 8.1 32 bit version not RT, you have your full fledged operating system which gives almost 7 hours of battery life...
    Sadly I wouldn't recommend Playbook since BB honestly stated that they wont update the OS so its a useless device don't even think to buy one even if its $30 trust me I have 64 GB WiFi which I'm gave to my 3 year old kid to play some games on
    One more thing which might help you chose Dell is 8 inch so compared to the 7 inch playbook and 11.6 inch surface your buying something not too small not too big easy to carry around...
    11-20-13 12:27 AM
    Would it be advantageous to have a Windows tablet to work on your upgrading courses? If so you could get one of the new 8" tablets running windows 8.1. Get one that will allow you to hook up to a larger screen and use a keyboard and mouse for doing any word processing, spread sheet or other windows work. As suggested check Dell and others. With RT you get a more limited version of windows but perhaps it would be enough. Do these upgrading courses offer any suggestion asto what the computer needs would be?
    11-20-13 12:33 AM
    I don't know man that Surface looks better each time I check out my sisters, who has one for her finance class. Record video while taking class notes or any other type live seminar/ meeting. Draw on screen with finger or pen. Apps are already there, two apps open side by side and usable at the same time.
    Ports for a wireless mouse you can even use a thumb drive on it, it connects to a monitor/ TV.

Then that keyboard is just awesome besides doubling as a case, the pressure point on the keys are so light to the touch.
    I seriously considered selling off one of my Q10's to get this tablet.
    Last edited by 93Aero; 11-20-13 at 01:48 AM.
    11-20-13 12:39 AM
    If you really need a Tablet please do not think about BlackBerry. I bought PlayBook on the first day it got released. It was a big disappointed, I am tired of BlackBerry's repeated false promises. A great hardware but a hopeless company, at least for tablets.
    11-20-13 01:28 AM
    version. 1,1158 runs also with kitkat
    i have a cheap acer b 700 (the screen is not good)
    but flashplayef runs well with android 4.1

http://beste-apps.chip.de/android/ap...,cxo.54480932/
    or buy the old nexus 7 16gb( verry good screen). in sale you can get it for arou d 150bugs

with pb no problem with flash
    11-20-13 01:46 AM
    Sure, you must not buy playbook, the tablet doesn't have any support from blackberry, and suffer from applications lack and it is enough that you will have office with surface RT and 10 inch display.
    11-20-13 02:19 AM
    Get a surface mate. Even though the pb is a pretty decent device (using one myself till this day) but it's old tech.

And there is pretty much no use usless bowing docs, Web and videos. Surface u still got a decent amount of apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 02:22 AM
    If you live in the US, the surface RT will be $200 during thanksgiving/black friday at Best Buy.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 02:25 AM
    In general, most sites work (including flash content). My biggest gripes is hover menus. The ones where you put your mouse over a menu and more options are supposed to appear.
    if you bridge your PB to your BB device and use the device as a remote for your PB, you can easily hover over drop menus like your suppose to. its what i do and never have had an issue.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-20-13 02:32 AM
    The PlayBook is great value for money if you buy it mainly for web surfing. The stock browser may have some lag on pages heavy on JavaScript and Flash, but the OrigamiBrowser (which is free) works great.

I know my opinion is against most of the other users advices, but I recommend the PlayBook because I love this device.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for Z30, Z10, Q10, Q5
    11-20-13 03:06 AM
    Why would anyone wants to waste money on the PlayBook? The PlayBook is a product compete with the first gen Ipad. The 5th Ipad just been released. The hardware simply can not compare with the modern tablets. The bowser sucks so bad even without flash. The stand by time also bad compare with others. Not mention the boot time! If you really want to view flash on web, Surface! Or just find a off market video player on android tablets. PlayBook sucks at 2013! It sucks!
    wehttam and rnhld like this.
    11-20-13 03:37 AM
    Honestly, none of the two man

the Playbook is dead and surface RT will dissapoint you
    Go Android, Samsung tablets, 100% or ipad, but it will cost you more
    11-20-13 03:39 AM

Thanks for any feedback.

Posted via CB10
    Get the surface rt if you're looking for a tablet however if your looking for something that can run full desktop program then get the surface pro or any other tablet thats running the full version of windows 8.1. It all depends on you needs personally im getting the surface 2.i need a tablet i do not need a desk top replacement tablet here is a youtube link of what the surface RT can do

a playbook at this time lets face it is a dead investment hopefully the administrators wont pull my comment seems like they are famous for that
    11-20-13 03:49 AM
58 123