Hi All,

Just wanted to know if you have inputs on whether or not it would be beneficial for BlackBerry to release a new PlayBook anytime soon.

See I just bought the Z10 a month ago and I'm really loving it. Came from the IPhone 4 and had no idea with all the BB devices and how the bridge feature connects your device with the PlayBook. I think that's a really unique feature and that alone is already tempting me to purchase one.

Now I'm really tempted to buy a PlayBook considering its low price now. However, I've been reading a lot of having a crippled bridge experience with the Z10 and it's still uncertain for Bb10 to arrive on the PlayBook.

I don't know if I should wait for a new PlayBook (if ever that happens) or dive and just get one now but still wait for the bridge experience to improve for the Z10.

Tried thinking of what BlackBerry is planning to do with the PlayBook but they seem pretty quiet with it recently. I, for one, wouldn't mind to pay a little bit extra to get a better specced version of the PlayBook but that seems unlikely. Though with all the possibilities that bb10 has to offer, wouldn't it be cool if BlackBerry could make a supplementary tablet for it?

Anyway, cheers! Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 10:25 AM
    PB is supported by 10.2 and it just a matter of time when it will finally be available.... No real news on this front.... just be patient my friend

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 10:36 AM
    You're right, no one knows what BBRY plans to do, not even BBRY.

My plans for my pb are to use it until it dies and then to replace it with something that will work as I want and need. My guess is that it won't be another or a newer pb.
    06-17-13 10:42 AM
    Possibly if they released BB10 alongside it.
    norm3206 and stitter70 like this.
    06-17-13 10:46 AM
    Thanks Warlack! Would you recommend to get the PlayBook now? Or is there a possibility that maybe this year BlackBerry would release a new PlayBook alongside Bb10 being available?

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 10:46 AM
    Thanks Warlack! Would you recommend to get the PlayBook now? Or is there a possibility that maybe this year BlackBerry would release a new PlayBook alongside Bb10 being available?

Posted via CB10
    Don't buy a playbook now as its future is uncertain. BB is trying to get rid of unsold playbooks and the production has been stopped since late 2012. Wait for a mont or 2 if u can.

-Dracula
    Solar 77 likes this.
    06-17-13 10:57 AM
    Although a 10" tablet (codenamed "Blackforest") was in their 2013 roadmap (leaked in 2012), I really doubt they are working on one. This is based on Heins' indirect comments about not releasing a tablet that doesn't have special relevance in the market (viz. an iPad killer) and that tablets will be dead tech in 5 yrs. But again, this is anyone's guess as they haven't said anything official. But there are usually pre-release signs/rumors that something is in the making. None here. My guess is that they are trying to portray a united front on the handset development (they still need to put out some entry level phones for developing markets) and putting any competing projects (BB10 for PB) on the back burner, working on it when time allows.
    06-17-13 11:27 AM
    It is easy to say something if there is still plan for it... otherwise, it is better to keep quiet and let the issue die... that's what BlackBerry is doing...

At this time of BlackBerry being quite, they can no longer hold liable if someone is still buying PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    sisko2003 and aarty like this.
    06-17-13 11:38 AM
    Don't buy a playbook now as its future is uncertain. BB is trying to get rid of unsold playbooks and the production has been stopped since late 2012. Wait for a mont or 2 if u can.

-Dracula
    Thanks for the advice. I still hope that we get a 7 inch tablet though should they release a new one.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 11:38 AM
    Although a 10" tablet (codenamed "Blackforest") was in their 2013 roadmap (leaked in 2012), I really doubt they are working on one. This is based on Heins' indirect comments about not releasing a tablet that doesn't have special relevance in the market (viz. an iPad killer) and that tablets will be dead tech in 5 yrs. But again, this is anyone's guess as they haven't said anything official. But there are usually pre-release signs/rumors that something is in the making. None here. My guess is that they are trying to portray a united front on the handset development (they still need to put out some entry level phones for developing markets) and putting any competing projects (BB10 for PB) on the back burner, working on it when time allows.
    Well yeah, given the situation that BlackBerry is in. I'd understand if they have to de-prioritize their plans on PB and focus on getting enough traction for Bb10 first.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 11:44 AM
    Regarding Bridge - the version that works on the OS7 and earlier devices allowed the pb to open emails, calendar, Contacts, tasks and Memos that were on the bb phone and see and enter replies/data while using the larger screen and keyboard of the Playbook. On the PB you could also initiate emails, again, using the bbphone, same with calendar entries. If the pb was separated from the bbphone or you stopped the Bridge, all of that private data would "dissolve" so that no one could see that data when looking at the pb. All of those features are now GONE with the new bb10 devices.

No one knows if bbry will restore any of those functions. But it is probably unlikely (my speculation).

You canNOT generally see pb's in stores so you would have to find someone who can show you one or buy it online and hope it works as you might like it.
    Uncle Remus, bozvandam and mandony like this.
    06-17-13 12:28 PM
    BB (the company) lost a lot of money on the PB. The indications are that they have given the tablet market over to the iPad.
    It is unlikely that they will do anything but minor upgrades to the OS in the future.
    In the US it is almost impossible to buy a PB in the stores: all major stores have given it up.
    To save face BB just keeps quite on the future. Any vocal comments will have bad press.
    06-17-13 12:48 PM
    It is easy to say something if there is still plan for it... otherwise, it is better to keep quiet and let the issue die... that's what BlackBerry is doing...

At this time of BlackBerry being quite, they can no longer hold liable if someone is still buying PlayBook...

Posted via Z10
    Great way to do business, just keep quiet that way no one can say anything bad about you or short your stock.
    06-17-13 12:54 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I still hope that we get a 7 inch tablet though should they release a new one.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I already have a 10" tablet and the PlayBook. So by the time BBRY would come out with a new tab, the one in line for replacement would be my original PB. I would be ready for another portable one. Really I would want something closer to the 8" range. The size of the iPad mini or the Galaxy Note 8.0, but the power of BB10 behind it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-17-13 01:00 PM
    "..Now I'm really tempted to buy a PlayBook considering its low price now.."

IF you can actually acquire one for "its low price now" go for it !!!

btw, the BB page stating msrp; BlackBerry - BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Business Orders - Canada

Oh yeah, if your potential source claims unit to be mint, factory fresh, chk for "baby bump", "scratches on side of unit" and of course original factory installed screen protection. oh the ones you 'see' --- 64gbs ?
    06-17-13 01:08 PM
    Yeah, I already have a 10" tablet and the PlayBook. So by the time BBRY would come out with a new tab, the one in line for replacement would be my original PB. I would be ready for another portable one. Really I would want something closer to the 8" range. The size of the iPad mini or the Galaxy Note 8.0, but the power of BB10 behind it.
    Same reason y BB is ditching playbook. The customers don't care so y the company should.:sly:
    06-17-13 01:09 PM
    Same reason y BB is ditching playbook. The customers don't care so y the company should.:sly:
    I care about the PlayBook. I'm using it right now.

Browsing the forums, using FaceBook, reading emails and Derek Kessler's book, all while listening to the Techfoolery podcast.
    Attached Thumbnails Plans for the PlayBook?-img_00000166.jpg  
    Last edited by axllebeer; 06-17-13 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    06-17-13 01:17 PM
    "..Now I'm really tempted to buy a PlayBook considering its low price now.."

IF you can actually acquire one for "its low price now" go for it !!!

btw, the BB page stating msrp; BlackBerry - BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Business Orders - Canada

Oh yeah, if your potential source claims unit to be mint, factory fresh, chk for "baby bump", "scratches on side of unit" and of course original factory installed screen protection. oh the ones you 'see' --- 64gbs ?
    I want a slightly larger screen also. Looking at the up coming win8 atom tabs that are in the 8" range.
    06-17-13 01:26 PM
    The customers don't care? I think you have it backwards.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    06-17-13 01:29 PM
    BB needs a new tablet if they hope to be part of the future Mobile Computing landscape.

Business and people are turning to Apple, Android and even Microsoft to a degree to provide mobile devices and applications to make their employees and themselves more productive - TODAY. Coming late to the game is going to hurt BB in the long run.

That said the tablet market is very tough as BB has already learned. And they have lost the advantage of "being in the office space" as most business now allow "other" device. And they still are working hard on providing an ecosystem that provides most of what consumers want... but they are still not there yet.

Based on their pricing of the Z10, I don't see BB being interested in working hard to be competitive. So even if they release a 10" Blackforest at $599+... most people are going to either opt for a proven and fully supported iPad or a price friendly Android Tablet or very likely it subsided cousin the Kindle.
    sisko2003 likes this.
    06-17-13 01:34 PM
    I care about the PlayBook. I'm using it right now.

Browsing the forums, using FaceBook, reading emails and Derek Kessler's book, all while listening to the Techfoolery podcast.
    No offense to u bro.
    Just not in a happy mood right now.

The customers don't care? I think you have it backwards.

OK.
    What when I bought a playbook and its fail so let's go and buy a z10 whooooo
    Or what when leave the playbook it cannot run bb10 because it has only1gb ram.(qnx is famous for resource management and can definitely run bb10 with about 4-3 active frames though most don't want active frames and hub thing.)
    06-17-13 01:36 PM
    No offense to u bro.
    We're all good man.
    Dr_Acula likes this.
    06-17-13 01:41 PM
    This is pretty much where I'm at with the PlayBook, I don't know what BBRY's plans are, and I become less concerned every day with it. Because I know what my plans are for it. I have 2, and they are well used. When they die, if BBRY doesn't have a suitable replacement ready for me then I'll look elsewhere.
    Toodeurep, FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-17-13 01:48 PM
    No offense to u bro.

OK.
    What when I bought a playbook and its fail so let's go and buy a z10 whooooo
    Or what when leave the playbook it cannot run bb10 because it has only1gb ram.(qnx is famous for resource management and can definitely run bb10 with about 4-3 active frames though most don't want active frames and hub thing.)
    Who bought a Z10? I haven't.
    06-17-13 01:52 PM
    Looks like PlayBook 10.1 is now listed in vendor portal check out link below

BlackBerry PlayBook 10.1 OS Listed in Vendor Portal | BlackBerry Empire
    06-17-13 01:58 PM
71 123