so I have 2 questions about using my new high speed hdmi cable :
    1) Do I just have to connect it to the PLAYBOOK and the LCD TV , put PB on showcase and away I go? I'm thinking to try free tv first, to see if this works.
    2) I have an iTunes gift card. If I download a movie to my apple acct on my PC, would I be able to drag and drop it onto my playbook, like I do with music, and then play that movie using the PB TV HDMI cable connection?
    03-17-13 07:11 PM
    1. Yes
    2. Not sure if it'll play with stock video player. But most likely will work with Kalemsoft's Media Player.
    03-17-13 07:15 PM
    Once you connect the PB to TV it will mirror what your PB is showing. Apps, games, whatever is on your PB screen will be on the TV. Showcase isn't need.
    When your playing video with the native video player and touch the screen you will see two squares at top right. Tapping that icon will put the PB in presentation mode. You can then use the PB for other things while the video continues to play on the TV. The screen of the PB will only shut off in presentation mode.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-17-13 07:39 PM
    Once you connect the Playbook to your TV HDMI it will mirror your playbook, and it does a great job when watching online tv or youtube.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-18-13 08:33 AM
    The stock Videos app has a Presentation Mode which shows the video controls on the Playbook with the video on the TV. You can also mirror them, apps like KalemSoft Media Player can only do mirroring.

I've found some issues with certain TVs - the Playbook uses the wrong refresh rates so you get flickering lines. You can fix this by going to HDMI settings in the main Settings screen.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-18-13 10:31 AM
    You can also use a monitor and play movies and videos on it. I have a 21.5" Dell with the sound bar. You can also use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and work using the monitor without having to touch the Playbook. When you connect the PB to the TV you are really just using it as a monitor.
    03-18-13 12:37 PM
    Once you connect the PB to TV it will mirror what your PB is showing. Apps, games, whatever is on your PB screen will be on the TV. Showcase isn't need.
    When your playing video with the native video player and touch the screen you will see two squares at top right. Tapping that icon will put the PB in presentation mode. You can then use the PB for other things while the video continues to play on the TV. The screen of the PB will only shut off in presentation mode.
    Hi CF: My question is where will the sound come from the PB or the TV - also, is showcase only to shut the PB screen off during use of TV?
    03-18-13 01:53 PM
    The stock Videos app has a Presentation Mode which shows the video controls on the Playbook with the video on the TV. You can also mirror them, apps like KalemSoft Media Player can only do mirroring. I've found some issues with certain TVs - the Playbook uses the wrong refresh rates so you get flickering lines. You can fix this by going to HDMI settings in the main Settings screen.
    What do you mean mirroring and also when you say go to the HDMI settings, you mean for the vid app not the TV settings, right?
    03-18-13 02:06 PM
    Hi CF: My question is where will the sound come from the PB or the TV - also, is showcase only to shut the PB screen off during use of TV?
    You can do it either way. You can choose to send the audio out through the HDMI cable or have the audio play through your PB (settings/HDMI/HDMI Audio- on or off)
    castoridae likes this.
    03-18-13 02:10 PM
    What do you mean mirroring and also when you say go to the HDMI settings, you mean for the vid app not the TV settings, right?
    Mirroring means that what you see on your PB's screen is what you'll see on the external monitor. In Presentation mode, you don't mirror and can do other things on your PB's screen (surf the net, say) while the Video is still being sent to the monitor.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-18-13 02:13 PM
    I was doing what you described just last night, using the PlayBook connected to a home theatre. I was using TabletTV. it is a good app that puts all viewable online TV content in one spot viewable by the PlayBook, sorted by country. It basically is a custom interface that has its own browser built in to view the web sites and stream the videos.

The streaming of shows is not yet perfected yet, and sometimes it can take a while for a stream to start on a popular feed such as a live sporting event. Last night I was using the Global TV site and it worked well. A few nights ago I was using the CityTv site and the videos feed would stop after the commercial breaks and I would have to stop and reload then forward to where it left off.

The iTunes videos will only play on Apple devices. BlackBerry has a similar service now, so you can just do the renting and buying through the BlackBerry World.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-18-13 02:30 PM
    I was doing what you described just last night, using the PlayBook connected to a home theatre. I was using TabletTV. it is a good app that puts all viewable online TV content in one spot viewable by the PlayBook, sorted by country. It basically is a custom interface that has its own browser built in to view the web sites and stream the videos.

The iTunes videos will only play on Apple devices. BlackBerry has a similar service now, so you can just do the renting and buying through the BlackBerry World.
    I'm so glad BB have a service but I have an iTunes giftcard that I need to use, so that's why I was asking.
    Also I will look into tablet tv thx!
    03-18-13 03:19 PM
    Mirroring means that what you see on your PB's screen is what you'll see on the external monitor. In Presentation mode, you don't mirror and can do other things on your PB's screen (surf the net, say) while the Video is still being sent to the monitor.
    So what is the purpose of the kalam app, if we have native mirroring?
    03-18-13 03:21 PM
    is showcase only to shut the PB screen off during use of TV?
    Showcase allows an app to run in the background when it's not maximized or when it's minimized. Otherwise, in default mode, the app will keep running until another app is maximized. In Pause mode, the app will pause whenever it's not maximized.
    03-18-13 03:27 PM
    So what is the purpose of the kalam app, if we have native mirroring?
    Primarily,
    Kalem will play video formats that the native Videos app won't. It doesn't have the native Videos presentation capabilities though.
    03-18-13 03:29 PM
    Showcase allows an app to run in the background when it's not maximized or when it's minimized. Otherwise, in default mode, the app will keep running until another app is maximized. In Pause mode, the app will pause whenever it's not maximized.
    In tools, my application behaviour is set to 'paused'
    03-18-13 04:00 PM
    I just checked with BBW and they don't have the Kalamsoft app
    03-18-13 04:04 PM
    Kalemsoft is the name of the app.
    I don't know what format the itunes media comes in or if it has copyright protection. Questions that will need to be answered before you buy any apps. Maybe you could try a inexpensive video for itunes, transfer it to the PB and see what happens.
    03-18-13 04:16 PM
    Mirroring means the TV screen shows the same thing the Playbook screen is showing. Presentation mode is only available on some apps like Videos and Docs2Go, it lets the TV screen show a different view than the Playbook.

For HDMI settings, I'm talking about the Playbook's settings. You have to go to the system settings screen by swiping in to the centter from the top corners and tapping the gears icon.

As for iTunes video, I don't think it can be played on the Playbook because it has DRM on it. The MP4 files are encrypted and you need iTunes to play them.
    03-18-13 10:35 PM
    I just checked with BBW and they don't have the Kalamsoft app
    KalemSoft Media Player on Blackberry World
    03-19-13 06:20 AM