Wow, even some of my apps have been pirated. I'll take it as a compliment
    04-28-12 11:47 PM
    First off, piracy has its fingers in every conceivable ecosystem out there. I know how to pirate stuff on my WP7, my MBP, my previous Windows laptop, and my PlayBook. The simple reason why piracy is here and is going to stay is because not everybody wants to pay for something. You could the most secure app store (like Apple tried) and given enough time it'd eventually break down (like Installous for the iOs did). There's no way around it. However, I pay for my apps, simply because as a CS student I know the amount of work that goes into software. I think most people don't, they just see a nerd behind a desk coding his off while chugging on Mountain Dew. If people knew the amount of work you guys did, I think it'd go a long way towards better appreciation of the work put into software development and hence, reduce piracy.

Also, pricing is going to be a major issue. I know why most everyone back in Malaysia, where I grew up, prefers pirating. Because they don't want to spend 400 Ringgit Malaysia roughly 150$ to buy something so not tangible. They'd have no issue of shelling out thousands for a laptop, but for the OS? Not a dime would be give. I understand why the apps on the BlackBerry app world are higher, I also know that Apple subsidizes the prices of its apps but 4.99 is something people just don't feel like giving even for an amazing app. (I had to think thrice before buying the GroovyNotes app).

If RIM can come up with ways to make the public more aware of the work put into app development, and work out a plan or even holiday specials to drop app prices piracy can be mitigated. Piracy though, will never be eliminated.
    jonathon.94 likes this.
    04-28-12 11:54 PM
    This thread is pretty ********! I totally agree with the fact that the people who pirate are not going to buy it anyway, it's probably better they use it and possibly promote the product to friends than never get it at all.

For example, I never purchase movies so if I did pirate a movie, I would have never bought it anyway.. and IF I liked it, I would tell people about it. Where's the loss?
    Imagine drawing a picture. You stay up thinking of what to draw, its significance and eventually you get it done. A friend of yours comes over, makes a copy of it and starts giving them away for free as posters on the sidewalk. That's piracy. Your work, taken by other people and given away. You pirating a movie is supporting it. You telling people about it is advertising the piracy not the movie. And you sir, are the catalyst that ensures there will always be a market for piracy and thus keep problems like this happening. BTW this thread is not ********. Your logic however, is.
    04-29-12 12:02 AM
    If RIM can come up with ways to make the public more aware of the work put into app development, and work out a plan or even holiday specials to drop app prices piracy can be mitigated. Piracy though, will never be eliminated.
    I know a developer who allowed a "special" version of their app to be leaked out. After around week 3, it created a file using a "special" filename and attributes.

The result is the file can never be deleted without root+knowledge or a full security wipe. And it prevents the PB from ever being backed-up until the file is removed. Which means the user has to security wipe and looses all application settings (including gamesaves) if they want to regain full functionality - because it can never be backedup again.

But thats far more drastic in my opinion - and doesnt resolve the issue. RIM has a fix for this (piracy) problem in the works.

For my apps, I take the piracy as a compliment (heck - I only have a small number of users). But the pirated version is 11 service packs behind my current release and has a ton of bugs. So - you get what you pay for lol.

Ed.
    Last edited by KermEd; 04-29-12 at 12:13 AM.
    04-29-12 12:10 AM
    Yeah.. But I think it's still not as bad as piracy on ios...
    Since playbook newest os still unjailbreakable we cannot enjoy to the fullest...
    04-29-12 12:14 AM

Simply do what Microsoft has been. Allow some kind of piracy but introduce updates that report the hacked software users computer and upload small viruses that slow down that system causing the user to buy another one. ( my opinion )
    Yes because that isn't vastly illegal on so many levels that would get them hit with unbelievable lawsuits

Yeah.. But I think it's still not as bad as piracy on ios...
    Since playbook newest os still unjailbreakable we cannot enjoy to the fullest...
    I can't tell if you're serious or not? Why would you have to jailbreak the playbook you can already pirate every single app in existence the same as ios, there's no difference at all.

Piracy has existed from everything from the NES to cutting-edge DRM restricted PC games. Developers either learn how to cope or go find a new line of work.
    04-29-12 01:30 AM
    If anyone knows what to do about this stuff, here is ALL of the contact information for the creator of the best known PlayBook piracy site. This site is posted in other places on CrackBerry. But I think its important to share the user details.

Important Notes:
    This email account's login and password were stolen when BKAV (Vientnamese security firm) had details stolen and released on the internet. However it is still being actively used on the BKAV website, as well as many other places. Suggesting the account was recovered by the owner and is still in control of the owner. Be aware though - there is a slim possibility someone could be copying and using all of this persons information. Details here: Bkav cleartext passwords.

Piracy Site Status:
    Website Risk: Dangerous (malware/ddos)
    Active
    Many Apps Primarily from Small Developers

Believed the site is collecting user details via javascript exploits and malware throuhg advertisements. Accessing the piracy site from BB devices will use web exploits to cause DDOS and other problems with the PB. Unsure if data collection exploit over web to contact details is still being used. Avoid visiting at all costs on BB devices. Unknown if they are "Adding" things to the pirated apps.

Names used:
    Li�n Hệ, L� Văn Phượng, Văn Phượng, L� PHƯỢNG

Usernames:
    vanphuong_vn
    congtuthanhdo10
    vanphuongvn
    vuhai6

Emails
    [email protected],
    [email protected],
    support@<piracy_site>.<site_suffix>,
    <piracy_site><site_suffix>@gmail.com

Websites used:
    L
    Đ�I LÝ BKAV
    http://<piracy_site>.<site_suffix>/author/vanphuongvn/
    * Warning DO not visit this site on your PB or BB. It does steal information from your systems for hackers.

Uses adf.ly for advertisements (must have an account with them?)
    Uses a non-standard fileshare site (no report buttons)

Phone Numbers used:
    BB (RIM) Cell: 0908 986 837
    Điện Thoại: 0908 986 837

Phone Model:
    8300 BlackBerry, iPhone, many more
    Uses SONO S2 UT Tech for Phone Company
    Uses a PB and Touchpad

PB Details

Case Details:
    44.99 RIM FOLIO
    Purchased from BestBuy
    Purchased Jan 17/ 2012
    SN 36881BBR, SKU 2496236
    LC 200001123681316

Vietnam

Friends:
    0908 986 837
    8498 384 493
    Girlfriend: ha vy pictures by vanphuongvn - Photobucket

Address:
    39 Trần Ch�nh Chiếu - P.14 - Q.5 - HCM

Yahoo IM:
    congtuthanhdo10

Final Details:
    Has used blackberry support forums.

CrackBerry ID:
    vanphuongvn (looks deleted)

YouTube:
    congtuthanhdo10 - YouTube

Photobucket:
    Pictures by vanphuongvn - Photobucket

Facebook
    [email protected]

What Does He Look Like?
    IMG-20111123-00008.jpg picture by vanphuongvn - Photobucket

PIN

See QR code below.

Cheers, if anyone knows where to send this information - I'd be happy to do so and delete it out of the post as "handled"

Ed.
    Attached Thumbnails Piracy of Playbook Apps is Out of Control-559984_357186010989399_100000940103028_957975_1194259247_n.jpg  
    Last edited by KermEd; 04-29-12 at 04:29 AM.
    04-29-12 01:46 AM
    I can't tell if you're serious or not? Why would you have to jailbreak the playbook you can already pirate every single app in existence the same as ios, there's no difference at all.
    I have never, and don't care to, pirate any PB apps. Disclaimer: I do occasionally gripe about app prices, but if they're too high, I don't buy them and I do without.

The reason I'd like to root my PB has nothing to do with piracy. At all. What I want is to be able to exploit (in a good way) all the features this wonderful hardware platform has to offer.
    04-29-12 02:14 AM
    OMG I just stole water, I filled a plastic bottle with water from a fountain.
    I didn't pay a buck 50 for it at the store, is that stealing? Did I just pirate water?

So I stole from the water bottle maker for filling it up again.
    You didn't buy water, you bought a pretty bottle that had been pre-filled with a liquid that may or may not be filtered tap water.
    KermEd likes this.
    04-29-12 02:24 AM
    I posted this guys info up on my Blog Anyone who can do anything to annoy, message, or reach out to him - will only increase the chances of actually reducing piracy for small developers. just sayin

Piracy from Vanphuongvn (L� V
    Barljo likes this.
    04-29-12 04:53 PM
    You didn't buy water, you bought a pretty bottle that had been pre-filled with a liquid that may or may not be filtered tap water.
    I worked for a municipal government. There was a local water selling company that bottled that water available to anybody with a tap in that jurisdiction. Water is still be sold for a profit!!!
    KermEd likes this.
    04-29-12 06:45 PM
    I worked for a municipal government. There was a local water selling company that bottled that water available to anybody with a tap in that jurisdiction. Water is still be sold for a profit!!!
    Interesting...

As a bit of a conspiracy enthusiast so I think its inevitable. I believe there are many small companies (backed by massive North American and European companies - which are ultimately backed by financial institutions) that have been manipulating the supply and overcharging access to water in many less stable countries. Often without many people knowing about it due to the splinter cell structure of the companies. Where are you from F2?
    04-29-12 08:18 PM
    For those who have been complaining about RIMs recent efforts to crack down on Playbook App piracy, I point you to the following factoid:

*** Within 12 hours of its release to App World, the latest Angry Birds title was already ripped into BAR format and made available through one of the more infamous PB warez sites. Anyone can now freely download Rovio's hard work gratis and simply side load the full, working version of Angry Birds Space HD for the Playbook. ***

Now that's some impressive turnaround! Shades of eztv.it and its devoted community of content rippers that makes first-run TV shows available almost as soon as they've finished airing.

And people question why RIM is cracking down - it really is out of control...one reason why I refuse to code for the PB platform.

RCK
    I think you can come up with a better reason to single out the Playbook. Show any hardware/OS platform that doesn't have pirating. Really is that your excuse?

Nothing ventured nothing gained...breathing air is more risky yet you do it all day.
    04-29-12 08:24 PM
    For those who have been complaining about RIMs recent efforts to crack down on Playbook App piracy, I point you to the following factoid:

*** Within 12 hours of its release to App World, the latest Angry Birds title was already ripped into BAR format and made available through one of the more infamous PB warez sites. Anyone can now freely download Rovio's hard work gratis and simply side load the full, working version of Angry Birds Space HD for the Playbook. ***

Now that's some impressive turnaround! Shades of eztv.it and its devoted community of content rippers that makes first-run TV shows available almost as soon as they've finished airing.

And people question why RIM is cracking down - it really is out of control...one reason why I refuse to code for the PB platform.

RCK
    Angry Bird Space is $2.99. Pirating software to save $2.99 is pathetic.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    04-29-12 09:00 PM
    I think there should be more trial options for software. While I'm willing to throw away the occasionally 99cents when someone on the forum mentions some interesting or unique app, I'm less inclined for even the nominal $2. I don't want to throw away even small amounts over and over. And since we know the reviews in appworld can be skewed, I don't have a lot of faith in those reviews and much rather see real enthusiasm posted here on Crackberry, either in the apps forum or in the general blog reviews.
    xeju likes this.
    04-29-12 11:41 PM
    ROFL.

RIM is late to the market it pretty much invented.

*dies of a laugh stroke*
    RIM invented the email capable phone. sorry you died of a laugh stroke.
    Not the first smart phone or the smart phone market as it is of today.

For people to beleive RIM is the start of the phones we have today you are mistaken.
    Windows CE and palm os with the onset of pda's have more credit then RIM who was
    just an email gagdet.

diegonei, If you really want to go at smart phone history with me fine. I was playing tetris on my Nokia phone,
    While using my mean green screen email machine from RIM.

Any how thats off topic. I can play all sorts of free apps on my Droid phone add free, how? I am not running 3/4g at the time.
    Does that mean I'm pirating software? no I am not. Now if I Convert that apk to bar and play it on my playbook, Note it is a free app/apk am I still pirating software? no I am not.

Now there is an app for Playbook on the market and called it Fruits and Ninja, that is a blantent rip off of Fruit Ninja that is piracy in my book, be it the free version or the full version that app world charges .99 cents for. Whos the pirate there?
    RIM IS and the DEV of fruits and ninja.

If that isn't considered infringement I should copy angry birds change a few things and call it pissed off birds, market it and what not on BB market.
    Now if I was ripping apps that cost money and I did not pay for that is piracy, BUT IT IS NOT UP TO RIM to play nanny.
    Last edited by jrwarren; 04-30-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added ce to windows
    04-30-12 05:12 PM
    Piracy sells the hardware, you make it easy to put pirated content on your device everyting else being equal you will sell more than a closed system
    09-07-12 05:32 AM
    Most people that sideload apps that are actually in app world would likely never buy because they can't afford it (kids) or those that would say I'd not use it much so I don't buy.
    To the first point I say most children these days are given an allowance and/or have a part-time job so affording an application for their smartphone or tablet is not the issue. They choose to steal because they lack morals and ethics thanks in large part to their parents and the government.

To the second point I reply any excuse to steal paid-applications is theft and punishable under the criminal code of almost every country on the planet. By your logic someone can steal a car and if caught the offender can claim "But I only used it one time or I only took it because my neighbour is away and wouldn't miss the car for a few hours."

Research In Motion could encrypt or digitally sign each downloaded application using the BlackBerry ID as the passphrase. This allows legitimate users to install the same application on multiple personal devices as per current policy set forth by Research In Motion as well as ensuring the application only runs on a device with the corresponding BlackBerry ID. No need for the PIN to be involved.
    09-07-12 05:53 AM
    Come on people. Let's stop this. This is a four month old thread that is running 17 pages now, and someone comes along, who has never posted before, to revive it whose username is "Troll". Let's not take the bait. At 17 pages, do you really think that anyone has anything new to add. If anyone does, I suggest that they read through all 17 pages before posting to make sure what they have to say truly hasn't already been posted. Otherwise, let's let this thread die its natural death.
    Akuji_ism, vespajet and peter9477 like this.
    09-07-12 06:56 AM
    RIM invented the email capable phone. sorry you died of a laugh stroke.
    Not the first smart phone or the smart phone market as it is of today.

For people to beleive RIM is the start of the phones we have today you are mistaken.
    Windows CE and palm os with the onset of pda's have more credit then RIM who was
    just an email gagdet.

diegonei, If you really want to go at smart phone history with me fine. I was playing tetris on my Nokia phone,
    While using my mean green screen email machine from RIM.

Any how thats off topic. I can play all sorts of free apps on my Droid phone add free, how? I am not running 3/4g at the time.
    Does that mean I'm pirating software? no I am not. Now if I Convert that apk to bar and play it on my playbook, Note it is a free app/apk am I still pirating software? no I am not.

Now there is an app for Playbook on the market and called it Fruits and Ninja, that is a blantent rip off of Fruit Ninja that is piracy in my book, be it the free version or the full version that app world charges .99 cents for. Whos the pirate there?
    RIM IS and the DEV of fruits and ninja.

If that isn't considered infringement I should copy angry birds change a few things and call it pissed off birds, market it and what not on BB market.
    Now if I was ripping apps that cost money and I did not pay for that is piracy, BUT IT IS NOT UP TO RIM to play nanny.
    You seem to have a poor understanding of what piracy and copyright infringement are, but I'll leave it at that.

Yes, pal, they pretty much invented it. They (and Palm, not Microsoft or Nokia) were the reason it got traction. Apple just took it one notch up when they released the iPhone, but heck, there would be no iPhone without BlackBerry.

So.. Tetris makes phones smart? Wow, half the feature/dumb phones out there just got a promotion! Good for you little guys!

Anyway, I'm doing much better, thank you. There was a doctor in the room at the time.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-07-12 at 10:21 AM.
    09-07-12 10:19 AM
    You seem to have a poor understanding of what piracy and copyright infringement are, but I'll leave it at that.

Yes, pal, they pretty much invented it. They (and Palm, not Microsoft or Nokia) were the reason it got traction. Apple just took it one notch up when they released the iPhone, but heck, there would be no iPhone without BlackBerry.

So.. Tetris makes phones smart? Wow, half the feature/dumb phones out there just got a promotion! Good for you little guys!

Anyway, I'm doing much better, thank you. There was a doctor in the room at the time.
    Did you really just respond to a 4+ month old post? The same guy who gave someone else a hard time about doing the same just yesterday?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post7606471
    Last edited by Hgouck; 09-07-12 at 05:01 PM.
    diegonei and DataWrangler like this.
    09-07-12 04:45 PM
    Did you really just respond to a 4+ month old post? The same guy who gave someone else a hard time about doing the same just yesterday?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post7606471

Does it help if I say sorry? :/
    09-07-12 05:31 PM
    Yes, but not necessary
    diegonei likes this.
    09-07-12 05:47 PM
    Come on people. Let's stop this. This is a four month old thread that is running 17 pages now, and someone comes along, who has never posted before, to revive it whose username is "Troll". Let's not take the bait. At 17 pages, do you really think that anyone has anything new to add. If anyone does, I suggest that they read through all 17 pages before posting to make sure what they have to say truly hasn't already been posted. Otherwise, let's let this thread die its natural death.
    Are you sure that hasn't already been said in this thread?
    09-08-12 09:18 AM
    Yes...........
    Angus_CB likes this.
    09-08-12 09:31 AM
253 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD