Jailbreaking is not pirating.

What Apple is seeing is people developing products that Apple does not authorize.

What RIM is seeing is people copying other people's products and giving it away for free.
    I know that, I was just correcting the poster that said jailbreaking you iPhone was breaking some law when that is not the case.
    04-26-12 11:11 PM
    how about worrying bout terrorism first.. isn't that out of control?
    04-26-12 11:58 PM
    #2 They could automatically encrypt some or all of the backup files or otherwise eliminate the ability to construct a .bar file from them. This would probably be easiest to implement, but they'd need to be sure backups could be restored from different PC's and to replacement or future, upgraded PlayBooks.
    This would be very easy to do if the PB has its own encryption key like BB devices. Then the file could be restored from ant pc and DM. DM would use the device's key to decrypt and restore the backups.
    04-27-12 12:15 AM
    No matter what you do the pirate is waiting for you!
    04-27-12 12:26 AM
    Stealing is wrong end of story. But before i stand here and say i've never used pirated software i'm gonna be honest. back when microsoft had the vista idea and i could no longer use my printer that i bought a month before or my free software provided to me by my university for my education i decided to revert to window xp.
    i got that windows xp black and used it until win7 came out and i bought that. Point is; you cant say stealing is wrong and then you make software or devices whose only job is to facilitate stealing.
    you know you have that U-torrent software and that frostwire sftware. or when you visit all those movie sites. as for it being a playbook thing so youre not gonna code for playbook; thats fair its your choice.

pray tell though- if not playbook who? android? ios? or microsoft? think about it. stealings not right but if they want it and are willing to pay but you refuse to sell it chances are they will steal it

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk
    04-27-12 12:40 AM
    Wow - I'm amazed at the number of iOS and Android pirates... excuse me, people familiar with the piracy scene... who have popped up in this thread - and the absolute dearth of people who know anything about BB piracy.

Just from this small, and albeit unscientific, sample - I'd say piracy is FAR more prevalent and well-known on those other platforms.

If I were a developer, I'd want to develop for BB - where FAR fewer people are savvy to ways to cheat me out of my money.

That's just me.
    04-27-12 02:37 AM
    I once had installous installed on my iPhone and downloaded a number of these paid apps for free. But after a while I decided that it's not the right thing to do. When iOS 5 came out I did a reset on my phone and upgraded right away loosing my jailbreak and stolen apps.

From then on I have bought all my apps legally, and I really enjoy doing so knowing that the developers worked hard on them and they deserve my money.
    I never used any of the pirated app repositories when my Phone was jailbroken, I bought apps like lockscreen etc. to improve the features of my phone. But OS5 made some huge steps adding a lot of those features that people were jailbreaking for, so I have just stuck with it unjailbroken since. The only app I really miss is SBsettings at this point.
    04-27-12 05:41 AM
    For those who have been complaining about RIMs recent efforts to crack down on Playbook App piracy, I point you to the following factoid:

*** Within 12 hours of its release to App World, the latest Angry Birds title was already ripped into BAR format and made available through one of the more infamous PB warez sites. Anyone can now freely download Rovio's hard work gratis and simply side load the full, working version of Angry Birds Space HD for the Playbook. ***

Now that's some impressive turnaround! Shades of eztv.it and its devoted community of content rippers that makes first-run TV shows available almost as soon as they've finished airing.

And people question why RIM is cracking down - it really is out of control...one reason why I refuse to code for the PB platform.

RCK
    This is nothing new, and it's not just Playbook apps. Look at Android and iOS and it's the same thing.

The fact is, if RIM had a better system for supporting the developer community, sideloading would not have been necessary, and there'd be less issue with a hard crackdown.

Piracy is never fixed by trying lock things down, the people who are going to pirate apps or load pirated apps will always find another way. This sort of thing only really hurts legitimate users who are taking advantage of an easy sideloading process for legitimate reasons that RIM has been unable to address (I'll point to Amazon Kindle as an example).

To be clear, I'm not advocating piracy, I'm simply pointing out the reality of the situation. My day job is as a security consultant. You don't beat piracy by trying to lock down a platform, you work on removing the need for the piracy and minimize its impact.
    gschep likes this.
    04-27-12 06:30 AM
    Its worse for Android.
    04-27-12 08:24 AM
    I never used any of the pirated app repositories when my Phone was jailbroken, I bought apps like lockscreen etc. to improve the features of my phone. But OS5 made some huge steps adding a lot of those features that people were jailbreaking for, so I have just stuck with it unjailbroken since. The only app I really miss is SBsettings at this point.
    Me as well, although I miss IntelliscreenX like crazy.

The thread also confirms how little people understand how jailbreaking is used. It's not illegal any more than running leaked BB OS's and hybrids is.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    04-27-12 09:36 AM
    This thread is pretty ********! I totally agree with the fact that the people who pirate are not going to buy it anyway, it's probably better they use it and possibly promote the product to friends than never get it at all.

For example, I never purchase movies so if I did pirate a movie, I would have never bought it anyway.. and IF I liked it, I would tell people about it. Where's the loss?
    04-27-12 11:11 AM
    This thread is pretty ********! I totally agree with the fact that the people who pirate are not going to buy it anyway, it's probably better they use it and possibly promote the product to friends than never get it at all.

For example, I never purchase movies so if I did pirate a movie, I would have never bought it anyway.. and IF I liked it, I would tell people about it. Where's the loss?
    That's some seriously flawed logic right there. Let me ask you, if you pirated a movie, and you liked it would you go and buy it? You ask where is the loss? Right there is the loss.
    04-27-12 12:09 PM
    It's a trickle down effect. If you did pirate a movie and told 5 people about it, those 5 people will probably pirate it or ask you for a copy. Each of those 5 people will tell 5 other people about the movie and each will ask them for a copy or pirate it for themselves...and so on and so on.

This thread is a good example.

1 person came on here and told people that Angry Birds Space BAR file got ripped and can be loaded onto the PB for free. Alot of people saw this thread and many will go and find the BAR file to load it up. They will tell thier friends who have PB that they got ABS for free and give them the BAR file and so on and so on.
    Last edited by narci; 04-27-12 at 12:15 PM.
    04-27-12 12:13 PM
    Jailbrake goes against the legal use of Apple hardware. So even though someone jailbroke their iPhone to save a life, you are still braking the law. Or should I say Jailbreaking the law.
    Jailbreaking an iPod is not against the law in Canada or the US. I'm not sure about other countries. Jailbreaking doesn't even void the warranty.
    04-27-12 09:03 PM

Wow. Nice way to attempt to justify theft.
    04-27-12 10:17 PM
    All major brands can outlaw hacking. Fact is they won't because it sells hardware. If Apple released an update that banned every device that connected with a wifi and reported illegal software, you take away that number of people who buy that product. They will shift to another brand.

It's a tight line to walk. As long as there is competition. You have to allow some kind of piracy.

Simply do what Microsoft has been. Allow some kind of piracy but introduce updates that report the hacked software users computer and upload small viruses that slow down that system causing the user to buy another one. ( my opinion )
    Last edited by VanCity778; 04-28-12 at 12:04 AM.
    04-28-12 12:02 AM
    Its worse for Android.
    But which platform has to more to lose?
    04-28-12 12:16 AM
    Look how good the free things have done for themselves.. read facebook.. google.. Apps should just be free and come along with some advertisements.. obviously not in your face advertisements.. but there are many non-intrusive ways of doing it.. facebook does and so does google.. follow suit instead of charging .99$ -- you will have a million more users..
    04-28-12 12:42 AM
    It's free because Roxio makes their money off of the embedded ads. When converted to PlayBoook the ads are stripped out.
    Man I truely hope you do not have to take a drug test for work, You are HIGH if you think that.

I've played games thru BB market that I have had adds pop up on.

I've played angry birds (which is a free app) on my droid phone while not connected to the internet and never saw ONE add.

Rovio has and will make more then enough money from selling the rights to Google for angry birds, all inceptions of it.

The catch is that Rim, IS BLOCKING A FREE MARKET, by wanting a slice of the google money pie which is advertisment.

but any how, If it is free it is not piracy to convert it and use it. Other wise windows emulators would have been considered piracy along time ago for people stuck on apple wanting to play windows games.
    Last edited by jrwarren; 04-28-12 at 11:33 PM.
    04-28-12 10:41 PM
    Roxio has and will make more then enough money from selling the rights to Google for angry birds, all inceptions of it.

The catch is that Rim, IS BLOCKING A FREE MARKET, by wanting a slice of the google money pie which is advertisment.
    What drugs are you on? Rovio ain't selling the rights to Google for angry birds.

RIM doesn't want Google's money --- they already got Microsoft's money, which is the reason why RIM has a Bing search deal.

All Rovio wants to do --- is to pump out at least 2 brand names games this year, before their IPO next year in Hong Kong. They are throwing every manpower available on this before next year's IPO --- which meant that I was quite surprised that the Playbook even got AB Space in the first place.
    04-28-12 11:00 PM
    What drugs are you on? Rovio ain't selling the rights to Google for angry birds.

RIM doesn't want Google's money --- they already got Microsoft's money, which is the reason why RIM has a Bing search deal.

All Rovio wants to do --- is to pump out at least 2 brand names games this year, before their IPO next year in Hong Kong. They are throwing every manpower available on this before next year's IPO --- which meant that I was quite surprised that the Playbook even got AB Space in the first place.
    Have you ever really, and I mean REALLY used Bing for a search engine? My god its worse then altavista ever was.

lol oh my god and people using BB Market have to pay 4.99 for angry birds. ITS THE END OF THE WORLD....

but wait, whats this angry birds space, free on droid, by from google, wait, angry birds free on my pc if with Google Chrome browser? hmmm. You are a dumb for thinking that Rovio isn't on the corporate tit of google.

Microsoft is just as late as Rim to the smartphone game. If anything Microsoft stands a better chance of making it thru this mess then Rim does.

Droid is doing to the smart phones what IE did to netscape.
    Last edited by jrwarren; 04-28-12 at 11:20 PM.
    04-28-12 11:15 PM
    OMG I just stole water, I filled a plastic bottle with water from a fountain.
    I didn't pay a buck 50 for it at the store, is that stealing? Did I just pirate water?

So I stole from the water bottle maker for filling it up again.
    Last edited by jrwarren; 04-28-12 at 11:34 PM.
    04-28-12 11:31 PM
    Microsoft is just as late as Rim to the smartphone game. If anything Microsoft stands a better chance of making it thru this mess then Rim does.
    ROFL.

RIM is late to the market it pretty much invented.

*dies of a laugh stroke*
    04-28-12 11:39 PM
    but wait, whats this angry birds space, free on droid, by from google, wait, angry birds free on my pc if with Google Chrome browser? hmmm. You are a dumb for thinking that Rovio isn't on the corporate tit of google.
    The browser version of Angry Birds is not just for Chrome. It was a HTML5 demo and doesn't play very well at all. That's why it is free. Plants vs Zombies also has a free web version.

The Android version of Angry Birds is ad-supported due to Rovio's market research which tells them that Android users are unlikely to pay for apps but very likely to allow advertisements. Rovio make a large portion of their profits from these ads.
    04-28-12 11:40 PM
    Have you ever really, and I mean REALLY used Bing for a search engine? My god its worse then altavista ever was.

lol oh my god and people using BB Market have to pay 4.99 for angry birds. ITS THE END OF THE WORLD....

Droid is doing to the smart phones what IE did to netscape.
    RIM doesn't care whether you use Bing or not. RIM cares about Microsoft's cheque.

Angry Birds Space HD is $2.99 for the ipad, $2.99 on Google Play and $2.99 on the Playbook.

Rovio's entire existence is centered on getting IPO next year. Are you saying that Rovio gave away the farm before the IPO? If that is true, then there is a lot of angry pigs in that farm.
    04-28-12 11:40 PM
253 ... 7891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD