Blah, blah, blah. Arrrrrrr matey.

Shiver me timbers ye land lubbers.
    04-26-12 12:36 PM
    Too bad we can't pirate gasoline lol.
    Back in the day, thieves used to steal it by syphoning it out of cars' gas tanks.
    04-26-12 12:37 PM
    This thread needs Jack Sparrow [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY[/YT]
    Princepia and mkelley65 like this.
    04-26-12 12:45 PM
    Stop making blanket statements about people. A good and sizeable chunk of people who jailbreak don't do it to be thieves. They do it to customize the interface.

I jailbroke so I could purchase IntelliscreenX and customize my appearance. All told I've spent around $50-$75 in cydia tweaks. All of them are appearance based. None of them are stolen. As far as apps that are actually apps? I actually buy them all from the app store using my money I work for so the developers who also work hard on their apps can be paid for THEIR work.

Just because you think most people jailbreak to be thieves doesn't make it true. Most do it to theme their phone or add tweaks to enhance the experience.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    @ the end of the day you still eliminated the middle man ( app store ) to get what you wanted.
    So in my book it's still a form of stealing.
    Why don't we just eliminated the RIM store and we set up a cydia type 1 then we can all sleep better since we bought them through cydia.
    04-26-12 12:49 PM
    Technically even if you are giving the money directly to the developer you are stealing from Apple (as they arent getting their cut). But this is neither here nor there. Companies will try to eliminate end arounds, and users will try to find them. Legal or otherwise the methods will be there. It happens on all platforms all over the world.
    balding1 likes this.
    04-26-12 12:52 PM
    considering theft and piracy have been debated for thousands of years, this thread was stale before it started, Nothing new has been said here, this thread proves nothing but the fact Humans are nosy, opinionated, self biased, argumentative hypocrites who break laws on a daily basis while telling each-other there $h1t don't stink, just every-one else's.
    At first i thought this thread was funny, the same way i laugh at children's stupidity, then i realized this is a child's thread (You know this argument will never end , so why join and just waste your own time arguing a moot point unless you have nothing better to do- like be a productive member of society)

just my 2 cent's, not like argument lovers would listen
    I actually find the thread interesting, there is some redundancy, sure, but opinions are important as long as one doesn't mistake opinion with fact. I certainly wouldn't categorize people in general (or in this thread) as nosy, opinionated, self biased, argumentative, hypocrites that break laws every day. That seems as a far fetched stereotype of billions of people, just as I don't think any person is superior to another person (you did not explicitly say superior, but rather that was something I interpreted through the context). Well, to a degree that is, but that is another debate.

For someone like me who thinks this is a muddy issue, I welcome seeing people on both sides and/or leaning in one side or another.
    04-26-12 12:54 PM
    Did Rovio use RIM's recommended user key system?
    04-26-12 01:15 PM
    It's pretty pathetic when someone can't pay 2.99 for an app.
    They probably can, just won't. Some of the same ones get their hands caught in the cookie jar.
    04-26-12 01:55 PM
    The only way for RIM to kill piracy is that, when an app gets installed on the PlayBook, the QNX Core should re-sign the .bar file from AppWorld with a unique signing code to your PlayBook PIN. so that when anyone leak this bar file there is no way it can be installed on any other PlayBook. That's the only way for RIM to kill piracy.
    There is another way.... Shut down app world.
    04-26-12 01:58 PM
    @ the end of the day you still eliminated the middle man ( app store ) to get what you wanted.
    Why don't we just eliminated the RIM store and we set up a cydia type 1 then we can all sleep better since we bought them through cydia.
    You clearly don't get it. He bought an appearance based app/tweak. That stuff is NOT a part of the appstore provided by apple. While you can still say apple isn't getting a cut, then didnt intend for him to use it OR buy it from Steve.

Installous on the otherhand is 100% pirated. Even the paid applications in cydia get pirated. It's a never ending cycle.
    04-26-12 02:44 PM
    And people question why RIM is cracking down - it really is out of control...one reason why I refuse to code for the PB platform.

RCK
    Wow, 13 page thread for your refusal to code for the PB. Fine then. Do not code.

On the other hand, who is benefiting from this 13 pages ramble? Some people have a lot of free time...
    04-26-12 03:04 PM
    Wow, 13 page thread for your refusal to code for the PB. Fine then. Do not code.

On the other hand, who is benefiting from this 13 pages ramble? Some people have a lot of free time...
    I said the same thing a few page back. Exactly! who is benefiting from this thread lol. It's pointless and people just want to argue, nothing more. You won't bloody stop piracy
    04-26-12 03:32 PM
    I know of the warez site, however i still chose to pay for the app, it was only �3 and believe that we all need to support quality software for the playbook, as that will encourage more to bring games and apps to the playbook and keep updates coming.
    04-26-12 05:05 PM
    Jailbrake goes against the legal use of Apple hardware. So even though someone jailbroke their iPhone to save a life, you are still braking the law. Or should I say Jailbreaking the law.
    Hate to tell you, but jailbreaking was declared legal, at least in the US. The only thing that Apple can do is void your warranty.

U.S. Declares iPhone Jailbreaking Legal, Over Apple
    04-26-12 05:13 PM
    If talking about a problem is wrong and will lead people to do the wrong thing than why do we discuss the problems with the playbook or with any other device or issue in life? Talking about the problem brings light onto the situation and hopefully people who can do something will.
    Well, obviously that's a faulty analogy, isn't it? For example, it's not inflammatory or inciting to publicly state that the US military stores weapons-grade plutonium in a specific location, but it is another thing entirely to publish a set of step-by-step instructions for how to break that site's security and steal some.
    04-26-12 06:02 PM
    And people question why RIM is cracking down - it really is out of control...one reason why I refuse to code for the PB platform.

RCK
    This would make sense as a reason why you refuse to port an Android app to the PB, but I fail to see how it supports a decision to refuse to develop directly to the PB platform using native SDKs.
    04-26-12 06:06 PM
    So Angry Birds Space is free, on my droid, now if I convert it to my playbook it is piracy? why? Because I'm not dumb enough to pay BB market for an ap that is free?
    irsan and Zero-K like this.
    04-26-12 06:06 PM
    So Angry Birds Space is free, on my droid, now if I convert it to my playbook it is piracy? why? Because I'm not dumb enough to pay BB market for an ap that is free?

Awesome reply

Thank you
    04-26-12 06:37 PM
    Yeah, but you need to *jailbreak* your iPad to use them. These warez sites are putting out native BAR images that can be side loaded by anyone with a stock PB - and they're doing it in record time.

And note that I'm not commenting on piracy per se, but rather why RIM in particular needs to crack down hard now - the barriers to piracy are simply way too low on their platform.

RCK
    I paid for AB:S, and two other incarnations of AB, and I don't mean this in a bad way but I have to say this: U MAD?

I must add that in order to sideload anything you have to enable developer mode, which is not by any means a "Low barrier" the average consumer doesn't necessarily know how to do this from the getgo, much less know where these piracy sites are. They must be knowledgeable about the dev features and actively seeking to dl pirated apps. And honestly I think that is a very short percentage of the PB community. I would say it is actually easier to rip and install an android APK, and pirates have been doing this for years now, talk about opportunists. Also, RIM addressed this and is now encrypting BARs so that they can only be ran on devices with a matching signature. If they havent implemented this yet, they are aware of the issue and working on it.
    04-26-12 06:54 PM
    Hate to tell you, but jailbreaking was declared legal, at least in the US. The only thing that Apple can do is void your warranty.

U.S. Declares iPhone Jailbreaking Legal, Over Apple
    Jailbreaking is not pirating.

What Apple is seeing is people developing products that Apple does not authorize.

What RIM is seeing is people copying other people's products and giving it away for free.
    04-26-12 07:37 PM
    It's free because Roxio makes their money off of the embedded ads. When converted to PlayBoook the ads are stripped out.
    04-26-12 07:38 PM
    Jailbrake goes against the legal use of Apple hardware. So even though someone jailbroke their iPhone to save a life, you are still braking the law. Or should I say Jailbreaking the law.

No. Its not.

04-26-12 08:45 PM

What are you talking about? The patches for the OS aren't apps. They aren't available in the app store - an app store I have spent hundreds of dollars in.

Anything I bought in Cydia was designed for jailbroken phones and were not stolen from the app store. Period.

04-26-12 08:47 PM
    Wanna kill pirates : (choose)
    1. Lock all backup files (start with OS 358)
    2. Block sideload
    3. Lock all downgrade sistem (file BAR or server)
    4. App all free
    8. Be a pirates too
    Last edited by irsan; 04-26-12 at 09:18 PM.
    04-26-12 08:57 PM
    It does not seem out of control. Hard to measure app piracy without each vendor implementing a "pirated app counting system".

I don't get it when people claim piracy kills companies. PC gaming was not killed by piracy, it was killed by bad ported games. App vendors will never die of piracy. Perhaps they will die when they begin to produce bad apps.

It's like driving a car into a wall and then claiming irresponsible road planners put that wall there. Well yes maybe that's true but really is that the MAIN cause? Maybe you should have checked to see if there is a solid WALL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD (or you just really suck at driving and drove off the road and found a wall to crash into).

Anyways to be honest android is easier to pirate on. Download through browser and install. The advantage android has it that it is largely add revenue driven. Blackberry needs to get an add api for the native sdk out. This is a real impediment to good free apps showing up and lessening the severity of piracy. Alternatives to conventional revenue are good
    04-26-12 09:22 PM
253 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD