Well, all I can say is I bought the app for my PB and I like it. Worth 2.99. I also sideload Android Apps, but only ones that are free and not available in the App Store for download.
    04-25-12 08:27 AM
    I had no idea, time to get it for free.

kidding. Already bought it.
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    04-25-12 08:33 AM
    For those saying RIM can eliminate piracy I say good luck! Piracy has been around since the advent of digital media / technology. There used to be entire operating systems that were pirated along with software.

I fail to see how any of this is RIM's fault.
    Eir likes this.
    04-25-12 08:34 AM
    Yes information should be free. The development of drugs for cancers for example are slowed down because research is hidden away by copyright for years and possibly forever because companies don't want to share information and colab. They want sole ownership of any discoveries.

People in poor countries can't get information and better themselves because they can't afford the price of information, not to mention govt' censorship and blockades forced upon them by American copyrights.

I'm a gamer and have to pay 60$ for each game. Not only is that insanely expensive, but they block features already on the disk and gouge for more money by claiming they're DLCs.

This kinda greedy price gouging reminds me of that scene in jurassic park where the lawyer is gleefully saying they could charge 1mil a day, while the creator says "Everyone in the world has the right to see these animals."

But all this is ignored because "LOL stealing is wrong!" They make money off that big brother attitude and. always will.

And to be blunt, I sideload games and apps because it's free and easy. I wouldn't have paid anyway if they block that feature. I won't sideload Angry Birds because the game is lame and so was the hype. Ooh wow a stupid casual game. Let me know when something a little more important like Skype shows up.
    Your confusing information w/ labor. Stealing software is not keeping information free. The information to build the software as is the tools. All one had to do is READ and pracitce.
    Laws and lawsuits is what slows done medical advances. Chemicals have to be researched, destroyed, and studied in a manner that's safe. If some takes the medicine and something happens the 100s of millions of dollars the company has to pay hurts devolope the next medicine.
    As with software a writter to keep the software on your devices that you want and are current and keep em updated has to stay at the keyboard. This cost him. He has bills to pay. That keyboard wasn't free nor is the replacement. Theift of software bleeds money from him. It slows down his ability to bring the nexts apps to you in a timely matter.
    04-25-12 08:36 AM
    Yes, when you upload an update bundle, you can mark it to specify the minimum OS version permitted to get it. If they'd done this with it marked for 2.0.1, maybe this wouldn't have happened... Can Rovio just blame themselves here?
    But, still there is only min os version 2.0.0, which has hole for ripping out bar files. I can't see 2.0.1, am I missing something ?
    04-25-12 08:40 AM
    Yes, when you upload an update bundle, you can mark it to specify the minimum OS version permitted to get it. If they'd done this with it marked for 2.0.1, maybe this wouldn't have happened... Can Rovio just blame themselves here?
    I'm surprised RIM didn't do what Sony does on the PS3 and require you to update the device in order to download apps from App World. That would close the door right there instead of depending on the developers to specify that they would like their apps encrypted.
    04-25-12 08:41 AM
    So now everyone who reads this post, but didn't know AB Space was available, knows now.
    My sentiments exactly.
    Last edited by shupor; 04-25-12 at 08:52 AM.
    04-25-12 08:46 AM
    Rim is working on fixing this so why the redundant post?
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    04-25-12 09:03 AM
    Thanks OP, I didn't know know this. Now to point my browser to eztv.it.
    04-25-12 09:08 AM
    But, still there is only min os version 2.0.0, which has hole for ripping out bar files. I can't see 2.0.1, am I missing something ?
    No, I just checked that too and you're right, only 2.0.0 is still listed. I've mentioned that in a related thread on the support forums, so they'll probably sort that out shortly.

I'm a bit surprised that between RIM and Rovio, who clearly talk, they didn't ensure this would be released for 2.0.1 only, both to protect Rovio from such easy piracy (though accidentally posting it a week ago didn't help) and for RIM so it would encourage people to update to 2.0.1.
    04-25-12 09:11 AM
    Lol.. I'm going to stray a little off topic, because I don't agree with the OP's use of eztv.it as an example. In Canada, the downloading of TV shows is not illegal, uploading is a different story.

While you may or may not agree with it -- You can't stop piracy, this has been proven time and time again even the most drastic attempts to ensure piracy never occurs have all failed in one way or another. At the end of the day, it's all just "code" that can be torn apart and reversed just as it was put together.

In most cases, the attempted prevention of piracy hinders paying customers more so then those partaking in piracy. Paying customers are forced to deal with the DRM, pirates just simply.. strip it out.

I won't even begin to mention the latest statistics that show those who pirate things, more often then not -- actually end up buying the product.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-25-12 09:13 AM
    Okay, they've just added 2.0.1 to the dropdown. Re: Please ad 2.0.1 to min release for apps on the... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-25-12 09:23 AM
    The only way for RIM to kill piracy is that, when an app gets installed on the PlayBook, the QNX Core should re-sign the .bar file from AppWorld with a unique signing code to your PlayBook PIN. so that when anyone leak this bar file there is no way it can be installed on any other PlayBook. That's the only way for RIM to kill piracy.
    This is an interesting idea... and I also like that *if* a leak gets out, the source of the leak can be tracked.
    04-25-12 09:30 AM
    Lol.. I'm going to stray a little off topic, because I don't agree with the OP's use of eztv.it as an example. In Canada, the downloading of TV shows is not illegal, uploading is a different story.
    I only pointed to eztv.it as an example of an equally efficient pirating/ripping "organization." I in no way meant to equate the piracy of television content with that of software - one is broadcast in the clear for all to see and potentially capture (though premium channel content is a different case), while the other is (typically) distributed using a licensed-per-user/device model.

Regardless, I've clearly kicked over the hornet's nest with my OP, so...let's add some fuel to the fire (and mix some metaphors to boot):

Anyone who disagrees with my assessment that the piracy situation is out of control on the Playbook platform is likely themselves a software pirate and thus a thief...and possibly a liar.

Discuss!

RCK
    04-25-12 09:41 AM
    Did you consider the fact that broadcasting this on the forums probably encourages people to go look for it? You might have contributed to the problem.
    Actually, the OP is doing us members a favor; as said by another, I really despise thieves, as well as hackers and jailbreakers.
    Hgouck and john_v like this.
    04-25-12 09:44 AM
    It's sort of been touched on, but does everyone expect RIM not to have the same issues every other platform has? Those other platforms have been dealing app piracy longer and having no luck.

Yet, there is no slowdown of app development whatsoever on
    Those platforms. So are people saying its only RIM's efforts relating to piracy that are discouraging developers? Than why are developers still making apps for platforms that have way worse issues with piracy?
    04-25-12 09:47 AM
    Actually, the OP is doing us members a favor; as said by another, I really despise thieves, as well as hackers and jailbreakers.
    Why though, Vet? One does not necessarily equate to the other(s)s.
    04-25-12 09:58 AM
    Who the f*ck cares about big app titles They got their projected revenue/profit even when piracy is out of control. Individual devs are they who suffer from this, and it's really sad.

And, RIM fixed the problem with ripping out .bar files in 2.0.1. Problem lays in devices that are not updated to 2.0.1 - don't know how they will solve it.
    Make App World stop working for those PlayBooks?
    04-25-12 10:01 AM
    since piracy is here to stay, let's just keep quiet, delete this thread, so other would be "thieves" won't know they exist! unlike jailbreaking, this is underground until we flood the forums with info about it.

look at this screenshot, only over a thousand downloads considering there are 1 million PBs out there
    04-25-12 10:12 AM
    If a person is going to pirate an app.... talking about it is not going to encourage the activity as they will do it any ways..... It is like the MAAP and movie piracy.... they talk about billions of lost revenue but in their figures they estimate all movies piracted... What is not factored in is that the people pirating are not going to the movie in the first place so what are they losing....

I do not condone piracy but accept it is going to happen.....
    04-25-12 10:24 AM
    I only pointed to eztv.it as an example of an equally efficient pirating/ripping "organization." I in no way meant to equate the piracy of television content with that of software - one is broadcast in the clear for all to see and potentially capture (though premium channel content is a different case), while the other is (typically) distributed using a licensed-per-user/device model.

Regardless, I've clearly kicked over the hornet's nest with my OP, so...let's add some fuel to the fire (and mix some metaphors to boot):

Anyone who disagrees with my assessment that the piracy situation is out of control on the Playbook platform is likely themselves a software pirate and thus a thief...and possibly a liar.

Discuss!

RCK
    Why do I feel like Im getting rick rolled even responding to this? Way to inspire a riot dude. Not only am I NOT a pirate,Im also NOT a thief, and NOT a liar. I also DO NOT agree with your sentiments on the piracy situation. I believe a person should get paid for the work they do, and that piracy is wrong.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-25-12 10:24 AM
    Are peeps living under a rock that any 1 didn't know about eztv and other sites?
    Most peeps by devices and the first thing they check is to see if it can be jailbroken or hacked into.
    RIM will shut down parts of sideloading in future updates but pirating will always be there for peeps that are rooted or refuse to take updates.
    So for myself my PB's are worth more being able to sideload than not.
    Since I have 3 PB and never had to do a wipe except when I screwed up rooting 1, will stay at current version because theirs nothing RIM could come up that would interest me to update.
    Last edited by balding1; 04-25-12 at 10:27 AM.
    04-25-12 10:25 AM
    I'm surprised RIM didn't do what Sony does on the PS3 and require you to update the device in order to download apps from App World. That would close the door right there instead of depending on the developers to specify that they would like their apps encrypted.
    You see, I downgraded from the latest upgrade because it was giving me too many problems. If I am required to upgrade to an OS version that caused me problems in order to buy apps, I would just stay away from buying apps altogether.

Now if the latest upgrade wasn't giving me problems I would have stuck with it. But for the time being, I am not upgrading to OS 2.0.1.358.

Some people even wait quite a while before updating because they want to know what bugs exist and decide whether or not to update. I personally would prefer if I had a choice of which update to install.

A seemingly good solution would be this:

The only way for RIM to kill piracy is that, when an app gets installed on the PlayBook, the QNX Core should re-sign the .bar file from AppWorld with a unique signing code to your PlayBook PIN. so that when anyone leak this bar file there is no way it can be installed on any other PlayBook. That's the only way for RIM to kill piracy.
    Last edited by bounce007; 04-25-12 at 10:32 AM.
    04-25-12 10:30 AM

Discuss!

RCK
    What i have a problem with is you saying you refuse to code for the PlayBook because of piracy. Do you refuse to code for Android?
    04-25-12 10:34 AM
    It's sort of been touched on, but does everyone expect RIM not to have the same issues every other platform has? Those other platforms have been dealing app piracy longer and having no luck.

Yet, there is no slowdown of app development whatsoever on
    Those platforms. So are people saying its only RIM's efforts relating to piracy that are discouraging developers? Than why are developers still making apps for platforms that have way worse issues with piracy?
    Statistics support RIM's claim that more paid apps are download from App World than are downloaded from the Android market. There is a theory that Google is not working as hard as RIM to protect developers from piracy because lax distribution actually enhances advertising revenues. The theory suggests that developers are forced to capitulate to cultural pressures and reluctantly accept an ad-based model for getting paid for their work.

Now I don't know fore sure that the Google conspiracy actually exists, but I do know that transplanted Android users tend to express the opinion that RIM should be more like Google in their wish to control piracy.

I think that this situation is what the OP was referring to. Large vendors have been putting pressure on RIM to secure the platform better. In response, RIM has take steps to close the major exploit (the one that affects me) but is not addressing the ability to load random Android apps on the device.

From my perspective, I can live with the fact that people can still load past versions of my app on the device. My income stream is not affected to a great extent by piracy (even if my nose does get out of joint occasionally when this matter is discussed). However, the larger vendors may still be unhappy that RIM did not accede to their demands to outlaw casual sideloading. So, in a way the OP's topic is valid as a point of discussion, although I would rather not be talking about it. As I said in a previous post, it is probably better to let sleeping dogs lie. It becomes quite uncomfortable when my nose gets out of joint.
    04-25-12 10:35 AM
253 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD