one reason why I refuse to code for the PB platform.
    You should refuse to code for any platform then. You should also refuse to speak, write or do anything because it all might be pirated, you know?
    04-25-12 07:15 AM
    People will always pay for a good app. Look at all the people who have complained that their pirated app can not update without losing their stats/saved game data... ...The true people that wanted the app will pay for it.

I'm sure the pirates wouldn't be the ones paying for the app in the first place and MAYBE some pirates actually like the app and then buy it to get the upgrades, saved game data...
    04-25-12 07:17 AM
    Who the f*ck cares about big app titles They got their projected revenue/profit even when piracy is out of control. Individual devs are they who suffer from this, and it's really sad.

And, RIM fixed the problem with ripping out .bar files in 2.0.1. Problem lays in devices that are not updated to 2.0.1 - don't know how they will solve it.
    04-25-12 07:18 AM
    People will always pay for a good app. Look at all the people who have complained that their pirated app can not update without losing their stats/saved game data... ...The true people that wanted the app will pay for it.

I'm sure the pirates wouldn't be the ones paying for the app in the first place and MAYBE some pirates actually like the app and then buy it to get the upgrades, saved game data...
    im more annoyed that it costs �3 in the uk. At the current rate of exchange it should be �2.
    04-25-12 07:21 AM
    and sideloading isn't just plug and play - it takes some effort. Dev mode, installing the right progs, failed installs, bad programs....

That rules out a lot of people I'm sure from even thinking about doing it.
    KOOLWATER and Bobcat665 like this.
    04-25-12 07:22 AM
    Wait, you mean Rovio published this with the App World entry configured to allow devices running 2.0.0 to install it? Supposedly if they'd restricted it to 2.0.1 this wouldn't have been that easy. Anyone confirm they could get this (the paid version) on 2.0.0?
    04-25-12 07:25 AM
    I thought with the latest update, all the App World apps were supposed to be encrypted so they couldn't be sideloaded. Is this still the case or has someone already figured out how to break the encryption?

Also, you can never stop piracy, you can only slow it down. You're always going to have the Robin Hood types who feel everything should be freely shared with the masses.
    Yes information should be free. The development of drugs for cancers for example are slowed down because research is hidden away by copyright for years and possibly forever because companies don't want to share information and colab. They want sole ownership of any discoveries.

People in poor countries can't get information and better themselves because they can't afford the price of information, not to mention govt' censorship and blockades forced upon them by American copyrights.

I'm a gamer and have to pay 60$ for each game. Not only is that insanely expensive, but they block features already on the disk and gouge for more money by claiming they're DLCs.

This kinda greedy price gouging reminds me of that scene in jurassic park where the lawyer is gleefully saying they could charge 1mil a day, while the creator says "Everyone in the world has the right to see these animals."

But all this is ignored because "LOL stealing is wrong!" They make money off that big brother attitude and always will.

And to be blunt, I sideload games and apps because it's free and easy. I wouldn't have paid anyway if they block that feature. I won't sideload Angry Birds because the game is lame and so was the hype. Ooh wow a stupid casual game. Let me know when something a little more important like Skype shows up.
    04-25-12 07:25 AM
    and sideloading isn't just plug and play - it takes some effort. Dev mode, installing the right progs, failed installs, bad programs....

That rules out a lot of people I'm sure from even thinking about doing it.
    It takes some effort to sideload? You can't be serious?
    Most peeps can do it blindfolded.
    04-25-12 07:29 AM
    Wait, you mean Rovio published this with the App World entry configured to allow devices running 2.0.0 to install it? Supposedly if they'd restricted it to 2.0.1 this wouldn't have been that easy. Anyone confirm they could get this (the paid version) on 2.0.0?
    2.0.0.7971 can get it from app world.

And, you say that RIM implemented specific app package to specific os version ? I can't find that option on vendor portal
    04-25-12 07:31 AM
    It takes some effort to sideload? You can't be serious?
    Most peeps can do it blindfolded.
    well I'm sure know that I couldn't even hold my PB right side up blindfolded...so sideloading is more difficult than that isn't it?
    04-25-12 07:32 AM
    I forgot to mention the site I get my apps from has plants vs zombies at the top download with 8k hits. Seeing as how that game and angry birds is whored out, I doubt the devs are living like the starving artists people are making them out to be.
    04-25-12 07:38 AM
    Most people that sideload apps that are actually in app world would likely never buy because they can't afford it (kids) or those that would say I'd not use it much so I don't buy.
    So, someone with kids can afford a tablet but not the $2.99 app to go with it?

A download of a pirated piece of software does NOT equal a lost sale most of the time.
    It certainly hurts its chances.
    Chaddface and Hgouck like this.
    04-25-12 07:39 AM
    I honestly don't know what the big deal is. Sure there is piracy but its not even close to the saturation as iOS and android. It can also be argued that piracy acts as a free advertising medium. People may download the app off a site, like it and want the updates and decide to buy it. If not, most likely they either can't afford it or wouldn't of purchased it in the first place.

I'm not embarrassed to say I used to pirate apps for the playbook. I had no job and I got the playbook as a Christmas preset. Since I pirated the apps, I know what apps I like and do not like so now that I am working I know exactly what I want to buy. Can't always put piracy as all negative.
    04-25-12 07:49 AM
    Yeah, but you need to *jailbreak* your iPad to use them. These warez sites are putting out native BAR images that can be side loaded by anyone with a stock PB - and they're doing it in record time.

And note that I'm not commenting on piracy per se, but rather why RIM in particular needs to crack down hard now - the barriers to piracy are simply way too low on their platform.

RCK
    Brother I'm.really not trying to pick an I actually pretty surprised no one else. Noticed this, but your thread opener states why Rim is cracking down and people are up set abojt it. Then this post you say Rim needs to do something. What gives. As a programmer you know (or should) all to well the the diffacultly in stoppin piracy.
    Piracy is on every media front. Vynal records all the way to blurays. Every software from unix platforms thru osx has been pirated. It is jus what it is.
    Paid papps is pirated on android and ios as we'll in record time. As technology gets better well so does the tools for theives.
    04-25-12 07:51 AM
    Who the f*ck cares about big app titles They got their projected revenue/profit even when piracy is out of control. Individual devs are they who suffer from this, and it's really sad.

And, RIM fixed the problem with ripping out .bar files in 2.0.1. Problem lays in devices that are not updated to 2.0.1 - don't know how they will solve it.
    I hope that OP considers asking mods to close this thread. All points of view have been expressed and nothing positive will come through extended discussion. In my opinion, RIM and small developers are in a no-win situation when they discuss this problem in public.

RIM has a problem because they would like to avoid PlaBbook becoming a playground for those who feel entitled to re-publish our work ion the net. From the small developer's perspective, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. If we support RIM's efforts (in public) to stop piracy, we risk being branded as crybabies. If we defend our own IP rights, we are accused of overreacting.

There is no doubt that some large players are a little disappointed in RIM's ability to protect their intellectual property from pirates. I hope that RIM has managed to placate them with their latest update.

Certainly RIM has solved my major concern, that is, seeing my app published without my permission in random "stores". I am finding my last release plastered all over the net and I am not happy about it. So I am saddened by some posters who think that I am being silly to complain about piracy. I wish that they could put themselves in my shoes and realize that I have human feelings too.
    04-25-12 07:57 AM
    I am comforted by your thoughts. Every so often, I do a Google search to see if my app is having an impact on the world at large. Before I read your post, I thought it was a big deal whenever I saw my app being offered for free download. I now realize that it's not really a problem because App World is a small market and my colleagues on Android and iOS have a comparatively larger problem. Thanks for your words of wisdom and in the future I will try not to be so full of myself.
    I was not stating that the problem does not exist, just putting in perspective by comparing it to other platforms (mainly because the OP makes it feel that the PB is somewhat worse) and share my view on why it happens... unfortunatelly it's a widespread phenom (you'll struggle to find a media or platform that isn't hindered by it). I never stated that developers deserve their work to be pirated or that there's nothing wrong with the situation in the PB.

I don't consider that the App World implementation properly protects it's content (and I also wrote a bit about it...). And I don't believe that killing sideloading will solve it (if anything it'll drive some developers and users away from the platform).

This is one of those "hate the game" situation but please note that I'm not trying to downsize the issue or defending piracy. This affects developers on a personal level but there's no reason for you get personal on your comments.
    Last edited by joaosousa; 04-25-12 at 08:20 AM.
    04-25-12 07:58 AM
    2.0.0.7971 can get it from app world.

And, you say that RIM implemented specific app package to specific os version ? I can't find that option on vendor portal
    Yes, when you upload an update bundle, you can mark it to specify the minimum OS version permitted to get it. If they'd done this with it marked for 2.0.1, maybe this wouldn't have happened... Can Rovio just blame themselves here?
    04-25-12 08:03 AM
    I hope that OP considers asking mods to close this thread. All points of view have been expressed and nothing positive will come through extended discussion. In my opinion, RIM and small developers are in a no-win situation when they discuss this problem in public.

RIM has a problem because they would like to avoid PlaBbook becoming a playground for those who feel entitled to re-publish our work ion the net. From the small developer's perspective, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. If we support RIM's efforts (in public) to stop piracy, we risk being branded as crybabies. If we defend our own IP rights, we are accused of overreacting.

There is no doubt that some large players are a little disappointed in RIM's ability to protect their intellectual property from pirates. I hope that RIM has managed to placate them with their latest update.

Certainly RIM has solved my major concern, that is, seeing my app published without my permission in random "stores". I am finding my last release plastered all over the net and I am not happy about it. So I am saddened by some posters who think that I am being silly to complain about piracy. I wish that they could put themselves in my shoes and realize that I have human feelings too.
    This.

Nothing good comes from these threads. I guess that was the point I was trying to make in my earlier post.

And one of the unfortunate side effects of IP piracy is that small, hard working, honest devs like Buzz get hurt. Stealing is wrong. What's Up is super cheap, just buy it people.
    BB10FTW, Desktoper and KMB4 like this.
    04-25-12 08:04 AM
    Can't always put piracy as all negative.
    I can, there is no good reason to steal anyone's property. The excuses people make for doing it are ridiculous.
    TGR1, Hgouck, john_v and 1 others like this.
    04-25-12 08:06 AM
    I get people don't want piracy happening, but out of 1million playbook, 6k potential pirates is not bad! I have sideloaded a few apps, if they were available, I'd have bought them. I want to support the developers who are supporting the playbook and blackberry in general...
    04-25-12 08:07 AM
    To add to my post, I own music copyrights/publishing and if you think software is pirated, music is WORSE! To stay positive here, all you can do is make the best possible product and hope that people choose to support you and your work as opposed to bootleg product.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-25-12 08:14 AM
    I hope that OP considers asking mods to close this thread. All points of view have been expressed and nothing positive will come through extended discussion.
    In full agreement.
    04-25-12 08:15 AM
    I haven't seem anything to suggest that programs are now encrypted in 2.0.1, can anyone confirm this?
    04-25-12 08:21 AM
    Just another blackberry bashing thread.
    04-25-12 08:23 AM
    For those saying RIM can eliminate piracy I say good luck! Piracy has been around since the advent of digital media / technology. There used to be entire operating systems that were pirated along with software.

I fail to see how any of this is RIM's fault.
    04-25-12 08:25 AM
253 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD