Although this was discussed on a motorcyle PB thread, its best served in a separate thread. I had made reference to using Jep charts and sectionals on the PB. No, there are no apps for it yet, but I've been using a rotorwrench app as a work around LOL. Sorry, couldn't help it. Anyway, another way to get the PB into the cockpit. I take sequential snapshots of my planned route in portrait mode, file them and then open for flight. You can swipe fore and aft as needed and pinch zoom for larger detail. Much better than using a physical sectional, and it still complies with FARs, as the data is directly from a current approved sectional.

The critical thing to get the best results is in the taking of the photos. I have a method that insures good detail and consistent results. And once you do it a few times it's very quick. As you should know, the PB camera is non-focusing. Therefore the height above the chart is critical. While watching the screen and holding the PB parallel to the target chart, raise and lower the PB until you have the sharpest detail, don't worry about scale right now, and take the shot. Once you have the photo preview it. You'll see that if you have taken a clear shot, zooming to any practical scale retains exellent detail.

To remain consistent in quality, I fabricated a little wire holder that insures the PB to be at it's best focal distance and keeps it parallel to the chart. Now it's quick. Snap a shot, slide forward, take a shot, slide etc...... Works for topos, charts, maps, approach plates etc...

Of course if you have access to online sectionals, the same works by taking screenshots.

Anyway, its worth a try. You may or may not like it, but two of my customers love it and two of our pilots prefer it.

Sorry it was so long, but in anticipation of repeated similar questions, this hopefully explains the process for you. You may have better ideas. If so, please share
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-28-11 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Attached photo
    jafobabe and anon(757282) like this.
    12-28-11 07:43 PM
    Pretty cool stuff!
    12-28-11 07:50 PM
    I'm hoping the camera can focus and it's just unlocked until OS2.

In a RIM playbook how-to video there is a setting for close-up shots and in an article about the playbook teardown it was stated that the pb has a Torch camera (my 9800 camera does focus for close-up shots).
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-28-11 08:49 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I am hoping that with OS2 and the Android app, one of the developers of the Android aviation navigation apps like Avilution will choose to port their app over to the PlayBook. Or a supplier like AnywhereMap moves to Android or QNX with their system.

The size and screen brightness of the PB is perfect for mounting on the yoke. Much better fit than that iThing which is just too big for a cockpit smaller than an airliner.

In the meantime I will continue to use an HP Slate 500 (8.9" screen) and AnywhereMap
    12-28-11 10:52 PM
    The size and screen brightness of the PB is perfect for mounting on the yoke. Much better fit than that iThing which is just too big for a cockpit smaller than an airliner.
    No one else even mentioned the "iThing," but I guess you just couldn't help yourself. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this unprovoked, shoehorned iPad criticism a 3.

Keep the blue side up.
    12-28-11 11:09 PM
    offended by a slur on the ipad in a playbook forum? where am i....
    12-28-11 11:26 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I am hoping that with OS2 and the Android app, one of the developers of the Android aviation navigation apps like Avilution will choose to port their app over to the PlayBook. Or a supplier like AnywhereMap moves to Android or QNX with their system.

In the meantime I will continue to use an HP Slate 500 (8.9" screen) and AnywhereMap
    My sentiments also. I have customers and have read of pilots in our aviation forums that have tried integrating the the 10in pads into the cockpit and are just too large and cumbersome for convenient use. Many are doing it though, till there is a smaller pad with supported software. I've seen the 10in in use and they have to be installed in such a way they're not as easily manipulated as being on the yoke. I have one guy who has his mounted on the copilot side to the right of the yoke. He admits its a pain. I showed him the PB and he was like a kid in a candy store. But alas, no sectionals unless you load them like I do. He said he was still willing to try it.

On a side note. Have you tried bridging while airborne? Works great, as long as you're in a good signal area. A lot of possibilities with that
    12-29-11 12:19 AM
    No one else even mentioned the "iThing," but I guess you just couldn't help yourself. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this unprovoked, shoehorned iPad criticism a 3.

Keep the blue side up.
    Those of us who fly as pilots are aware that one of the latest options for aviation tablet use is the iPon despite the large size, and poor screen brightness in a cockpit environment. So yes, it is appropriate to reference the iPon in this discussion. IMO, it is a poor choice of hardware, while the PlayBook would be an excellent choice with the right software.
    12-29-11 12:44 AM
    On a side note. Have you tried bridging while airborne? Works great, as long as you're in a good signal area. A lot of possibilities with that
    Interesting idea. Have not tried that, but with a sunny weekend coming...
    12-29-11 12:47 AM
    A light just went off in my head. Rotor, have you tried downloading the FAA charts and approach plates and displaying them in the PDF viewer? Here is the link to the site with the files. If the viewer can handle these files, this may be a faster solution without the image resolution concerns. I gonna give it a try, but wanted to share the link.

Sectional Raster Aeronautical Charts
    12-29-11 12:56 AM
    Calling the iPad names is silly. It actually does have useful software available for pilots. I know because a pilot friend went out and bought an iPad just so he could use some app available for that device--only reason he was interested in a tablet.

The 7" Playbook would seem an ideal size for plane or car cockpit. Too bad there isn't more navigation software for it. The Playbook especially needs software with maps that can use GPS without an Internet connection--needing an Internet connection when you are lost is a terrible idea... If any developers are reading, I would spring for the car version
    12-29-11 01:04 AM
    Calling the iPad names is silly. )
    May be, but it is fun.
    12-29-11 01:07 AM
    You need to try playing NFS while on the yoke, much safer than doing it on my motorcycle. Better yet Dogfight !
    12-29-11 01:08 AM
    Calling the iPad names is silly. It actually does have useful software available for pilots. I know because a pilot friend went out and bought an iPad just so he could use some app available for that device--only reason he was interested in a tablet.

The 7" Playbook would seem an ideal size for plane or car cockpit. Too bad there isn't more navigation software for it. The Playbook especially needs software with maps that can use GPS without an Internet connection--needing an Internet connection when you are lost is a terrible idea... If any developers are reading, I would spring for the car version

But having an internet connection with bridged 3G internet available makes being lost a lot less likely
    And getting found a lot easier....would hate to have to find a starbucks if i were lost...

Speaking of which did you look at the GEOrendr app rotor? Lost the other thread and curious what you thought....

and wow nobody calls it silly when they hear "jokebook" or "failbook" ....i-people are very sensitive, even when not on their turf and this should be expected. But whatever ... cmon lighten up silly is fun.

Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-29-11 at 01:28 AM.
    12-29-11 01:15 AM
    A light just went off in my head. Rotor, have you tried downloading the FAA charts and approach plates and displaying them in the PDF viewer? Here is the link to the site with the files. If the viewer can handle these files, this may be a faster solution without the image resolution concerns. I gonna give it a try, but wanted to share the link.

Sectional Raster Aeronautical Charts
    I do my topos in pfd, but i wasn't aware we could get sectional, WACs and approach plates in pdf. We get electronic charts and Jeps, but I didn't think they were pdf. If so, excellent! That is much preferable of course. I'll check tomorrow and see if we can load or convert them in pdf. Good luck yourself. Let us know if you manage it as I will also, or anyone else for that matter. Thanks
    12-29-11 01:19 AM
    Well, this is a bit more challenging than I first imagined. I downloaded a zip file for the LA sectionals and unzipped them. Could not immediately find an PB app that opens tif files. So downloaded the zip file again on my laptop and converted the 2 chart tif files to jpg using Paint (of all things...). Moved the 2 chart files to the PB using a USB cable.

They open in the PB with the picture viewer, but I cannot get them to zoom large enough to read legibly. Will have to check for apps that allow greater zoom capability as jpg or similar file formats. Duh, need to try to convert to PDF too.

Veddy interesting.....
    12-29-11 01:36 AM
    Well, this is a bit more challenging than I first imagined. I downloaded a zip file for the LA sectionals and unzipped them. Could not immediately find an PB app that opens tif files. So downloaded the zip file again on my laptop and converted the 2 chart tif files to jpg using Paint (of all things...). Moved the 2 chart files to the PB using a USB cable.

They open in the PB with the picture viewer, but I cannot get them to zoom large enough to read legibly. Will have to check for apps that allow greater zoom capability as jpg or similar file formats. Duh, need to try to convert to PDF too.

Veddy interesting.....
    jpg is a lossy compression and especially hard on text.
    often creating pdf's also compress images depending on compression settings - best to use another format or lossless compression.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-29-11 01:52 AM
    Thanks, BlackJack. The image quality is not an issue, in the PB apps, you can only zoom in so far, and that's it. Not a resolution issue, but a physical zoom issue.

Ok, it's late and I have not got the perfect solution, but close. With the tif image from the FAA, I downloaded a free PDF converter for the PC that works like a printer. (Something called GIRDAC, from the CNet download site). Selected the B2 page size and 2400 dpi. Creates a pdf that is about the right resolution to read using the PB PDF reader. (10 MB file for LA North side chart). Could not get the larger sheet sizes (B1) to capture the entire chart. I'm sure there are other paths to get even better images, but this is pretty darn close.

Seems to me if you need sectional charts and approach plates, this general process should get you substantially there, as long as you don't need georeferencing.

Note that FAA is working on a scheme to double charge us for these maps we already paid for through our taxes, so after April they will probably charge. In the meantime this may beat having to photograph trip kits.

Cheers!!
    12-29-11 02:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD