I use the PlayBook for the business side of photography, great for email, lists, brainstorming, researching, web surfing, etc. For that it's superb.

As a tool for photography get an iPad - seriously. More apps, better software integration (Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One) Snapseed, and better weather apps. The iPad has a better calibrated screen, YMMV but my PlayBook is way out for colour, Apple products are better in that respect out-of-the-box.

-- Robert.
    You still have no easy way to transfer from the camera to the tablet.
    10-29-12 04:49 AM
    (...) iPad - seriously. More apps, better software integration (Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One)...
    Well that's quite significant. Indeed I know photographers for who these last three mean the choice is over...
    Still, as I'm just an amateur with an extreme sensitivity to monopolies, I appreciate surviving outside Apple/Google here -knowing it's survival.
    (but survival with a Curves tool! )
    10-29-12 05:06 AM
    He has the same as ours: Eye-fi, save for him it's a native app, for us an unsupported android sideload.
    And most probably there's a range of third-party SDCard readers: working for Apple, you imagine...
    10-29-12 05:09 AM
    I may explore it further and see if I can accomplish the wifi Bridge connection on a spare 9800 without a SIM in it and maybe a small router like an Apple Express, not even connected to the internet, but just turned on providing a wifi connection between the devices.
    This is very seducing but involves two extra devices. The ideal would be some wifi-enabled thing that'd accept reading SDcards. Recently, I was close to buy a XyFy USB 3Gkey, that hosts a micro SD and deploys its own wifi network once powered. Costly, but efficient. I contacted the guys; they are in the process of upgrading their ROM in order that the microSD is visible as a server in Wifi. When they feature this, I'll definitely be tempted --one single device for all 3G, USB, SD...
    10-29-12 05:18 AM
    Hi all, I upload my photos to Picasa, and then download them to the playbook using Picasa Sync.

Displaying photo is one of the best uses of the PB.

Apart from that I don't really use the camera.
    10-29-12 08:11 AM
    Did you upload from your camera to Picasa?
    10-29-12 03:02 PM
    He has the same as ours: Eye-fi, save for him it's a native app, for us an unsupported android sideload.
    And most probably there's a range of third-party SDCard readers: working for Apple, you imagine...
    Exactly, that's what I meant by no easy way to transfer. Eye-fi, from what I have read, isn't very reliable.
    It wasn't a dig at Apple just pointing out that the iPad wasn't a solution but...
    I was Wrong. There is an SD Card reader adapter for the iPad and a USB camera adapter. It's called the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit and sells for $29.00.
    DaveL likes this.
    10-29-12 03:10 PM
    With apps like Photosmith and an external USB drive (or two) photographers can download, sort, rate transfer files and backup from camera or card reader - including raw files. That's as easy as using a laptop. Like the PlayBook you can then resize and share the images.

-- Robert.
    DaveL likes this.
    10-29-12 03:14 PM
    Yep, I know. Read the post above yours.
    10-29-12 04:50 PM
    To transfer the photos, I would consider a microSD card with SD card adaptor, so you can put it in your BB phone and transfer the selected pictures via BB Bridge. No wifi required.
    10-29-12 06:18 PM
    (...) Eye-fi, from what I have read, isn't very reliable.
    I have an Eye-Fi card, have been using it for months and hundreds of pics. It is reliable, and with many extra niceties (like, free automated transfer behind the scenes to your preferred ftp server, and in parallel to your PC or mac, all of this in addition to the DSLR-to-Playbook transfer without external wifi).

The only Eye-Fi limitation is the transfer throughput.
    It seems many people are used to wifi, acknowledge that between two PCs when they wifi-transfer 100 raw picture it takes a long time, and suddenly, some day they do exactly the same but in a hurry within a hotel room just before joining the dinner party, and because in 5 mn not all the picture have been transferred, they conclude it is a scandal, it "isn't very reliable".

Wifi transfer is slow for large numbers of large pictures. So is the Eye-Fi card. It remains perfect for the occasional 15 shots in the streets, all the more than you indeed can keep the Playbook on, straight there within your bag, and then when you later sit at the coffee, all your pics are already backed up in the Playbook. Just nothing else matches it in these conditions, not even a laptop. But of course it's not on par with cable-connected cameras in a studio.
    I have shot astronomers in the field (while using 'What's Up', success guaranteed) and at the end of the night I showed them their pics, right in the field, in a place where the closest wifi spot was 50 Km away. Just imagine the battery weight to do this wit a laptop.

Keeping conscious of its throughput limitation, the only criticity with Eye-Fi on Playbook is the need for sideloading the android app. Not that it is difficult. The issue is, when your process depends on this, the next system update is an occasion of fear.
    If you buy an Eye-Fi card, do go to the Eye-Fi forums, find the threads regarding Playbooks -or open a new one and say it here, and add a contribution
    Last edited by Herve5; 10-30-12 at 10:29 AM.
    FF22, DaveL and Angus_CB like this.
    10-30-12 10:06 AM
36 12