If I'm not mistaken, some of the language support for iOS devices comes from outside of Apple. They have contributed it to Apple. I say this because you see Hawaiian supported and the number of native speakers are less then 6,000. I doubt Apple produced a keyboard just for Hawaiian on their own.
    09-01-12 03:30 PM
    BB10 is probably their last deadline. who will wait for BB11? multi language is not a new technology. people take it for granted
    For someone with a nick of smarter, that was comment was quite on the silly side. BB11? Really? ...

QNX on tablets/phones is being built from the ground up, so everything related is new technology, since hey have to code what does not exist. Like mentioned before, it's not just a keyboard layout, it's the internal dictionaries, work suggestion, spell check, special characters...

I rather see it late than see it "half baked". And this comes from a Brazilian that couldn't use special characters for two releases. E isso n�o foi nada legal! �������������������������.

But now it is here.
    09-01-12 04:11 PM
    add Slovenian as Central European language
    09-01-12 04:23 PM

QNX on tablets/phones is being built from the ground up, so everything related is new technology, since hey have to code what does not exist. Like mentioned before, it's not just a keyboard layout, it's the internal dictionaries, work suggestion, spell check, special characters...
    True, true, but keyboard input is at least a start, and having at least a language-specific layout doesn't take all that much more coding. The major languages of the world should have at least what you say, but not having input ability at all is just silly - especially when it comes to a virtual keyboard.
    Bakamushi likes this.
    09-01-12 04:32 PM
    True, true, but keyboard input is at least a start, and having at least a language-specific layout doesn't take all that much more coding. The major languages of the world should have at least what you say, but not having input ability at all is just silly - especially when it comes to a virtual keyboard.
    I would prefer them to be there too, you know. I feel you guy's pain.

I believe that:

- it's either not possible or not wanted to have one (input)without the other (dictionary/suggestions/correction). RIM is already taking enough beatings for adding more "half baked" stuff in;
    - the 2.1 flyer said it would bring even more languages, so it'4 probably being addressed as we speak;
    - the number of users just does not justify moving this up on the to do list;
    - BB10 will have them all at launch.

But I've been wrong before...
    09-01-12 04:49 PM
    Keep in mind that BB10 is delayed by SW, and it's delayed not just by a few weeks, but by 6 months. That means there are many many things left for BB10 SW development. Their SW team must be under extreme pressure right now and have no choice but to priotize their efforts. The must-to-have features in BB10 gets the most man power, the nice-to-have features in BB10 probably get what's left . Adding more language support in PB is just a nice-to-have feature in PB OS (not even in BB10 project) that has no effect on their primary goal, which is the release of BB10, of course there will be no resource left for it.

Yes, you probably say it is just a few days of coding, but it's not. The coding itself is probably just a few days and will most likely happen in a branch, then the branch will have to be fully tested. Depending on how many languages they are adding, the testing could take lots of man weeks. And after that, the branch will have to be merged back to the trunk at an approperiate time, and then the trunk will have to be fully tested alongs with all the new features and old features. It may take a few iterations before the trunk is solid again and become available for release.

All these steps take proper planning and man power to accomplish. I am sure they are doing exactly those steps right now, just not on nice to have features for PB OS.
    09-01-12 08:49 PM
    Keep in mind that BB10 is delayed by SW, and it's delayed not just by a few weeks, but by 6 months. That means there are many many things left for BB10 SW development. Their SW team must be under extreme pressure right now and have no choice but to priotize their efforts. The must-to-have features in BB10 gets the most man power, the nice-to-have features in BB10 probably get what's left . Adding more language support in PB is just a nice-to-have feature in PB OS (not even in BB10 project) that has no effect on their primary goal, which is the release of BB10, of course there will be no resource left for it.

Yes, you probably say it is just a few days of coding, but it's not. The coding itself is probably just a few days and will most likely happen in a branch, then the branch will have to be fully tested. Depending on how many languages they are adding, the testing could take lots of man weeks. And after that, the branch will have to be merged back to the trunk at an approperiate time, and then the trunk will have to be fully tested alongs with all the new features and old features. It may take a few iterations before the trunk is solid again and become available for release.

All these steps take proper planning and man power to accomplish. I am sure they are doing exactly those steps right now, just not on nice to have features for PB OS.
    It am sure we all agree with you.but again, this is not new technology and blackberry. Phone has it. I don't know why they cannot have it at the beginning. I am not even talking bb10. I mean os2 or even os1.
    Last edited by smartie88; 09-01-12 at 10:36 PM.
    09-01-12 10:26 PM
    For someone with a nick of smarter, that was comment was quite on the silly side. BB11? Really? ...

I rather see it late than see it "half baked". And this comes from a Brazilian that couldn't use special characters for two releases. E isso n�o foi nada legal! �������������������������.

But now it is here.
    Nothing is new from ground zero . Everything is from something old. You think there is no single share module in bb10 from os2 or even older os? They have to invent language ime from ground up?
    Last edited by smartie88; 09-01-12 at 11:05 PM.
    09-01-12 10:32 PM
    :::

Support!!

:::
    kolok likes this.
    09-01-12 10:55 PM
    Nothing is new from ground zero . Everything is from something old. You think there is no single share module in bb10 from os2 or even older os? They have to invent language ime from ground up?
    You just proved you understand nothing about programming. But heck, do I feel like not giving a scold, so I'll break it up for you...

QNX was never used in the way we're seeing it on the PlayBook. That said, the code for the features just doesn't exist. So yeah, "smartie", it is being built from the ground up. QNX code is not compatible with the previous java based OS so things can't simply be copy/pasted. No, nothing from previous OS versions is in BB10. CEO himself said it and it is true - code isn't compatible. They have to get their databases and code away from scratch. Ok? I hope you you understand now.

Now, you keep bringing BB10 (and 11?!) up. Oh my gosh, you're so clever! OF COURSE there are modules in BB10 that were developed and perfected on OS2. You said nothing here that we didn't know already. How does this apply? Do we have any BB10 devices out that we can point and say "that device has it, now give it to the PlayBook!"?

I've been in your guys shoes before. I kept wondering when my language was going to be supported. I know the frustration. But half the posts here are not exactly helping.

Gee, why do I come here at 2am?..
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-02-12 at 12:25 PM.
    kolok likes this.
    09-02-12 12:16 AM
    You just provedor you understand nothing about programming. But heck, do I feel like not giving a scold, so I'll break it up for you...

QNX was never used in the way we're seeing it on the PlayBook. That said, the code for the features just doesn't exist. So yeah, "smartie", it is being built from the ground up. QNX code is not compatible with the previous java based OS so things can't simply be copy/pasted. No, nothing from previous OS versions is in BB10. CEO himself said it and it is true - code isn't compatible. They have to get their databases and code away from scratch. Ok? I hope you you understand now.

Now, you keep bringing BB10 (and 11?!) up. Oh my gosh, you're so clever! OF COURSE there are modules in BB10 that were developed and perfected on OS2. You said nothing here that we didn't know already. How does this apply? Do we have any BB10 devices out that we can point and say "that device has it, now give it to the PlayBook!"?

I've been in your guys shoes before. I kept wondering when my language was going to be supported. I know the frustration. But half the posts here are not exactly helping.

Gee, why do I come here at 2am?..
    So for each their previous ground up os,say os 1, they totally rewrite every language ime?couldnt recycle ime code(certainly not copy and paste). I don't know how Microsoft rewrite their windows8 language ime or borrowed from win 7.since windows support most major language, rewrite code must be huge workload and how could they make it?I feel you are just trying to find an excuse for RIM.
    Last edited by smartie88; 09-02-12 at 07:35 AM.
    09-02-12 07:27 AM
    You are still missing the point. Windows is not rewriting code per say, they are adapting an existing OS to a new platform. W8 is a streamlined W7 with a new interface (of sorts). And almost all the codebase they needed was already there. Same happened with Vista to 7 and so on. They had to write the new interface from scratch and also the way things interact with it, everything else is plain simple old windows code.

There is no plain simple QNX old code. So everything has to be coded from the ground up.

I make no excuses, it would be better to have the support at launch but fact is this is not on the top priority list. I believe it will be there for BB10, we might see it hit the PB before that (though I find it unlikely). RIM has to focus on the big stuff, and code doesn’t write itself.

So, please learn the basics about programming before making statements.
    09-02-12 09:23 AM
    There's one very easy solution - RIM can make possible the development of custom keyboards that can be distributed through AppWorld or other means - just check the number of keyboards available in MesInput for Nokia N9/N950. I'm sorry RIM, but until you fix this, my next phone will be still my white N9.
    09-02-12 10:10 AM
    Well, if the pictures in the following thread are of any indication, the BB10 "London" has at least one of the Asian languages (I dunno which one that is - don't recognize it) - hopefully the languages listed on the first page of this thread will make it to the PlayBook at some point...

Link to pics of BB10 showing different input language:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...s-leak-743360/
    09-04-12 05:55 PM
    I am Ukrainian and lack of language support making me sad. Ukrainian language support was not declared in OS 10 plans, but there are for example such exotic like basque and galician. Where is logic? So what can I say, Blacberry sucks...

p.s. Post has been wrote from iPad with support of Ukrainian input.
    Бажаю успіхів!
    kolok and thebat380 like this.
    01-07-13 04:32 AM
    If BB10 doesn't have the languages posted on the first page, then RIM has truly failed. iOS has had support for most languages since forever, Android has tons of input plugins, WP8 added right-to-left language support and Asian characters, how about BB10?

RIM seriously cannot expect to sell its products in North America and Europe only. Heck it doesn't even support some European languages. BB10 devices and an updated Playbook could do well in India and China, if only local languages were supported. RIM isn't some backyard operation with five guys coding in a basement, it's a multibillion dollar global corporation!
    01-07-13 04:41 AM
    To be fair, even on the English (UK) option, the keyboard offers the dollar sign as the default option until you get to page 2 of the symbols. That's really annoying, you'd think it was bleeding obvious we'd want � as the standard option, and they haven't even done that.
    01-07-13 07:09 AM
    That's one of the thing about Playbook that still puzzle me. With over a billion population out there that uses the Chinese characters, one would think that would be one of their priority to have that language on the Playbook. Just like a populated India and Indonesia, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the whole South East Asia not to mention many parts of the world where the Chinese language is prominent. A couple of millions of tablet would have been sold just base on availability of Chinese language alone.
    01-07-13 09:27 AM
    Those, who're interested in Ukrainian language support in BlackBerry 10, please, go and vote for this feature request: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-858.

Maybe, we just need to bring visibility to BlackBerry by using official channels.
    Last edited by leppa; 05-14-13 at 10:45 AM.
    kolok and andriykoua like this.
    02-14-13 07:34 AM
    Is there any news on adding more language input to BB10 anytime in the future (soonish?)
    03-12-13 10:01 AM
    Those, who're interested in Ukrainian language support in BlackBerry 10, please, go and vote for this feature request: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-858.

Maybe, we just need to bring visibility to BlackBerry by using official channels.
    Can't get to that page at all. Anyway to view it and sign this petition?
    03-14-13 10:13 AM
    Can't get to that page at all. Anyway to view it and sign this petition?
    I've already been told few times that people can't access the link so it looks like it's visible only to the reporter and BlackBerry stuff.

Since reporting it on 14th of February it was assigned to someone on 21st of February. No further updates or comments since then. I'll try to keep you all updated as soon as progress changes.
    Last edited by leppa; 05-14-13 at 10:46 AM.
    03-19-13 04:34 AM
    MTS Ukraine has a plans to provide Ukrainian language support for OS 7 and 10
    - -
    Just Another Mobile Phone Blog: BlackBerry smartphones will speak in Ukrainian

Good news! But only one thing is confusing me. Why this should be done by mobile carrier?
    04-09-13 04:44 PM
    After two years I don't think RIM remains in the category of companies that don't deliver a standard feature, like input for major languages. After two years it looks like a deliberate choice and a deliberate offense to customers.

Especially for the clients who paid full price at the beginning, not delivering that feature is not formally illegal, but it is certainly condemnable in my mind.
    04-10-13 06:38 AM
    The Z10 supports a lot more languages including East Asian ones so BB10 for the Playbook will bring support for those languages too. If it ever arrives

To those who paid full price for what RIM themselves claimed was a mobile computer, then RIM is lucky to still have you as a customer. The Playbook was cast aside once work on the Z10 and Q10 started. I'm surprised RIM is still around after too many broken promises and so much arrogance at dictating what users should have, instead of actually listening to users.
    04-10-13 07:21 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD