If you ask me, there's only one thing I have issues with this product... And that's (easy) compatibility/functionality with third pirty's (such as; silverlight, apps, netflix, printers, ect...).
    Most of those issues you named are not even noticeable.
    1: I don't find it that useful for a gps on a wifi only product, at the momment.
    2: Haven't noticed that, maybe they're opening to many windows?
    3: Now knowing this, I just tap the screen when it dims for now
    4: I didn't test it, but mine lasts me a few days before charge. Then again, I don't obsessively use it.
    5: I've only seen annoying glitches with certain flash screen options (such as advertisment). Then again, Ipad doesn't support flash... We're waiting for flash 10.3.
    6: I haven't had an issue for this.
    Anyways, most issues can be avoided or easily work around...solved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 10:48 PM
    5 browser mobile safari is okay. I have a number of glitches in some websites with javascript controls. No flash and no upload/download almost negates everything else. I found out without iBooks I can't save a PDF. I can save a PDF on my s2. Hated to give apple a credit card for nothing.
    06-19-11 07:56 AM
    It sounds like your friend is a bit bias. I am 100% certain that after you try it in the store you will be able to see for yourself if it is what you need. I think it is laughable saying the ipad or ipad2 is better than the playbook. If you look at specks and hardware the playbook collectively has better specs. Diehard apple fans will say that ios is better, because they have more apps. Playbook fans will say QNX is better, because it is more stable because how it is set up. I think out of the box the playbook is like a pc, where the ipad is like a giant mobile phone.

I am so board of answering these stupid comparison posts. My next answer for the next post like this is going to be: Go buy an ipad and f off.
    06-19-11 08:29 AM
    Glad to get you going on bezel scrolling.

Start with your finger on the screen. The very edge of the screen will do just fine. Now, move your finger just off the screen to the bezel, move your finger vertically (or horizontally if you're using the bottom bezel) parallel to the screen and the screen will scroll exactly with your movement.

The interesting thing that I've noticed is that the movement action of bezel scrolling is more lock step (sort of like the ipad) than the beautiful fluid action of the main screen.
    Thanks - that is perfect it fixed a browsing problem i had!
    06-19-11 08:36 AM
    I test drove both not long ago, I'm not at all interested in Apple products, I only have an iPod touch and I never use it. The PlayBook is better than most people say, I haven't encountered any of the issues except the standby one (very rarely), I really like the gesture interaction on the PB and is incredibly smooth and does run Flash. As someone else said, wait for iOS5 and whatever updated version RIM pushes by then, iOS5 has quite a few features (nothing new, most of which already exist in the technology world).

I don't understand the need for GPS on a tablet, besides you're talking about a $399 PB vs a $750 3G iPad (wifi doesn't include GPS).

... your friend is rather biased.
    06-19-11 08:45 AM
    #2 happens consistantly on mine as well when its on showcase mode for multitasking... never in default mode, give it a shot folks... i try and keep it on default mode, and for the most part that suffices....

just a drag it has a sbowcase mode, and then locks up after the unit goes to sleep...

I never post negative comments, this is simply my observation....

cheers :0)
    06-19-11 10:05 AM
    I think it is laughable saying the ipad or ipad2 is better than the playbook. If you look at specks and hardware the playbook collectively has better specs.
    Be careful there. The iPad 2 CPU has benchmarked equal or ahead of all current Tegra or OMAP hardware, and the iPad 2 GPU is actually one full generation ahead of what's in the PlayBook. Given the massive gains in performance with each new generation of GPU hardware, that is very significant (for instance the iPad 2 renders 8-10X faster than the iPad 1).

The PlayBook has decent specs, but keep in mind the device was designed back in mid-late 2010, and has hardware commensurate with that period. It's a generation behind the latest and greatest. Couple that with the massive amount of RAM that the PlayBook eats up just to boot into the OS, and there really isn't even an advantage there. I don't think performance is an issue for most users, but you definitely don't want to enter in a CPU/GPU shootout against the iPad 2 because the PlayBook is going to be outgunned there.

Where the PlayBook shines over the iPad is the camera and speakers. The PlayBook screen is great, but inline with any good 7" tablet. Can't compare to a 10" screen unless you want to factor in the DPI difference.
    06-19-11 10:56 AM
    Be careful there. The iPad 2 CPU has benchmarked equal or ahead of all current Tegra or OMAP hardware, and the iPad 2 GPU is actually one full generation ahead of what's in the PlayBook. Given the massive gains in performance with each new generation of GPU hardware, that is very significant (for instance the iPad 2 renders 8-10X faster than the iPad 1).

The PlayBook has decent specs, but keep in mind the device was designed back in mid-late 2010, and has hardware commensurate with that period. It's a generation behind the latest and greatest. Couple that with the massive amount of RAM that the PlayBook eats up just to boot into the OS, and there really isn't even an advantage there. I don't think performance is an issue for most users, but you definitely don't want to enter in a CPU/GPU shootout against the iPad 2 because the PlayBook is going to be outgunned there.

Where the PlayBook shines over the iPad is the camera and speakers. The PlayBook screen is great, but inline with any good 7" tablet. Can't compare to a 10" screen unless you want to factor in the DPI difference.
    I had also read the playbook benched better than the ipad 2.
    06-19-11 03:52 PM

Such utter ifan tripe. The ifoolOS is mature while the QNX OS is brand spanking new and can already do things the ifoolOS can't accomplish. Every update frees more PB RAM. True multitasking while running flash is something ifanboiz can only dream of.
    06-19-11 05:33 PM
    Such utter ifan tripe. The ifoolOS is mature while the QNX OS is brand spanking new and can already do things the ifoolOS can't accomplish. Every update frees more PB RAM. True multitasking while running flash is something ifanboiz can only dream of.
    Please stop the drivel. I was stating facts. Look it up if you don't believe me -- the GPU information is especially easy to verify right from the horse's mouth on Imagination Technologies - Developing and Licensing IP cores for Graphics, Video, Communications and Processing. The PlayBook has a single core PowerVR SGX 540, whereas the iPad 2 has a dual core SGX 543MP2.

I'm also tired of your amateur QNX nonsense. You don't even know what your'e talking about half the time. The RAM requirements are not something to brag about -- it's actually kind of embarrassing when the device uses half of it's memory just to boot up.

You come back with poisonous "ifoolOS", "fanboiz", etc. Look in the mirror dude -- you're about the worst one I have seen on any platform.
    06-19-11 07:57 PM
    You seriously don't know that the PB QNX OS uses a dual-core Cortex A9 processor with 1GB of RAM? Utilizing processors is one of the key strengths of the QNX OS.

You just pwned yourself itroll.
    06-19-11 08:15 PM
    Please stop the drivel. I was stating facts. Look it up if you don't believe me -- the GPU information is especially easy to verify right from the horse's mouth on Imagination Technologies - Developing and Licensing IP cores for Graphics, Video, Communications and Processing. The PlayBook has a single core PowerVR SGX 540, whereas the iPad 2 has a dual core SGX 543MP2.

I'm also tired of your amateur QNX nonsense. You don't even know what your'e talking about half the time. The RAM requirements are not something to brag about -- it's actually kind of embarrassing when the device uses half of it's memory just to boot up.

You come back with poisonous "ifoolOS", "fanboiz", etc. Look in the mirror dude -- you're about the worst one I have seen on any platform.
    Different from what I read, TI OMAP 4430 is indeed faster than A5 on iPad 2.
    Here
    and here
    CMIIW
    So, in regards of what the OP was asking, both PlayBook and iPad 2 have their own strong and weak points.
    06-19-11 08:58 PM
    You seriously don't know that the PB QNX OS uses a dual-core Cortex A9 processor with 1GB of RAM? Utilizing processors is one of the key strengths of the QNX OS.

you cant read, he was talking about GPUs but you probably dont know what those are giving your response and calling him a troll.

brucep1 likes this.
    06-19-11 09:02 PM
    And people still believe that RIM's implementation of QNX is anywhere close to the pure QNX Neutrino RTOS, obviously, they havent tried pure QNX... Fanboys being fanboys... yet again.
    06-19-11 09:05 PM
    If I were the OP, I wouldn't pay attention to the specs at all. I have better things to do than compare benchmark results.

What I know for sure, is specs alone doesn't mean everything. Remember the time when your new computer running Vista was slower than your old computer running XP? What matters is the whole package. If you want to see which tablet is best for you, go try them out yourself. That's the only way, no short cuts.
    You wouldn't compare specs, but then again, vista had a larger footprint and required better hardware regardless, which meant, again, specs did matter.

Quad core on vista 64bit + 6gb ram > quad core on windows xp 32 or 64bit + 6gb ram. You can't compare something that required more, to something that required less.

If we are comparing whole packages then obviously the ipad wins hands down, because downgrading the playbook to 256mb ram, it would suck hard, even more than running xp on 256mb.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-19-11 at 09:19 PM.
    06-19-11 09:12 PM
    Like I've said time and time again, define your needs, spend some time with each device that you feel fills those needs, and like Trinity said, "go try them out yourself. That's the only way, no short cuts."

I'm a BB guy for phone and tablet. I've got Windows boxes, a Windows laptop, a Macbook Pro, and an iPod touch. I love my Bold 9650/Playbook combination, but I choose my devices based on the needs that they will fulfill.

My point is as follows:

What would you have thought if someone showed you a Playbook, iPad2, or Galaxy Tab 2 five years ago? They're all freakin' amazing! ...and just getting better. As far as tablets in general go, they've been around for much longer than the iPad in some form or another (Windows XP has a tablet edition). The iPad brought the tablet into the mainstream. The Playbook and Android tablets are creating the competition that will ensure that all three become better in a much shorter period of time. The current competitive environment is great for everybody. If you have an iPad and love it, then great! Same for the Playbook, and same for the Android tablets. Now stfu and lets all have a beer.
    06-19-11 09:39 PM
    you cant read, he was talking about GPUs but you probably dont know what those are giving your response and calling him a troll.

You're right. I went off half-cocked.

The PB's hardware specs are perfectly respectable in every respect and industry leading in many.
    06-20-11 07:27 AM
    If I were the OP, I wouldn't pay attention to the specs at all. I have better things to do than compare benchmark results.

What I know for sure, is specs alone doesn't mean everything. Remember the time when your new computer running Vista was slower than your old computer running XP? What matters is the whole package. If you want to see which tablet is best for you, go try them out yourself. That's the only way, no short cuts.
    That's the point there is not one best. Want flash? That eliminates a tablet already? Maybe people don't care if they want flash or not, or don't even know enough to ask, but you have to pick the best one for your needs. Picking a tablet does require some knowledge so if one is totally nontechnical I can always see iPad 2 winning.
    06-20-11 08:26 AM
    Except that the islab does not offer full web access. The first time I used iOS, I immediately recognized it. I use Flash for sports all the time and I couldn't believe that iOS was incapable of basic web functionality. You want a desk top browser experience on a tablet? Don't get an islab.
    06-20-11 09:05 AM
    Even if all of these points were true, I still wouldnt consider them to make any device better than another.

What about...
    1. iPad1 doesnt have built in cameras? Even the ipad2's cameras would be embarrassing to mention. (Who the heck still uses VGA cameras anyways???)
    2. The iPad1 only has 256mb Ram. Even the iPad2 only has 512mb. Give it another year or two and the iPad1 will be forced obsolete. (I'm sure Apples hope anyways)
    3. iPads have crappy speakers.
    4. You need to be tied into Apple/iTunes. Once you are in, you will NEVER get out!
    5. Worst of all...Daddy Jobs looking over your shoulder. Telling you whats good for you and whats not, wanting your credit card information (Correct me if I am wrong you still cant use paypal with them?), Making sure you only have apps that are Child approved, A new 100 page licensing agreement every other day.
    jajano likes this.
    06-20-11 09:14 AM
    Ok, we get the point, islab ifoolOS, iCrap, iGoulag etc etc etc, grow up a little, no one here calls your device PlayCrap, Playalittletilitsfinished, GayBook etc. Give it a rest and stop trolling. Opinion is one thing, being a constant Dik something else entirely.

Except that the islab does not offer full web access. The first time I used iOS, I immediately recognized it. I use Flash for sports all the time and I couldn't believe that iOS was incapable of basic web functionality. You want a desk top browser experience on a tablet? Don't get an islab.
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-20-11 11:09 AM
    Ok, we get the point, islab ifoolOS, iCrap, iGoulag etc etc etc, grow up a little, no one here calls your device PlayCrap, Playalittletilitsfinished, GayBook etc. Give it a rest and stop trolling. Opinion is one thing, being a constant Dik something else entirely.
    I disagree. I don't think calling the ipad an islab means he's being a Dik.
    06-20-11 11:19 AM

Never said that -- I said "The PlayBook has a single core PowerVR SGX 540, whereas the iPad 2 has a dual core SGX 543MP2." I was referring to the GPU, not the CPU. Not that you would understand the difference though -- I think you pwned yourself. Keep it up.
    06-20-11 01:31 PM
    The hardware specs of the ipads will always be behind everyone else. What better way for Apple to save on the cost to manufacture these devices. Then the next year they come out with a pad thats better than their previous one and they call it "revolutionary" though its still behind everyone else. Apple knows you will buy their products based on the perception that their devices are soo much better. Most tablet devices have superior hardware over the ipad but the ipads keep selling....why....because people "THINK" they are better. The only thing I can see Apple having over everyone else is a more mature App offering. Give the other guys another year or two...it'll be interesting if Apple can stay on top.

Once Apple, Android, and hopefully Blackberry reach 500,000 or even a million apps each than the one with the most apps will mean nothing. Then it will go back to the one with the superior hardware set. IMO
    06-20-11 04:05 PM
    500,000 PlayBook apps! That's pretty funny. But yeah, it is about the apps, hardware means nothing without applications to utilize it. Unfortunately that won't be the case for the PlayBook if blackberry app development history is anything to go by.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 04:08 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD