hi guys,
    I'm living in Taiwan now, as playbook is going to release in HK in July, we all really excited about it.

so there's someone insist ipad is better according to these points,
    because I don't have a chance to put my hands on a real playbook yet,
    I hope you can let me know if he's right or wrong...

---

There are countless aspects that iPad is superior than current PB, even ipad 1 applies too. I just show you some (I dont discuss the size here)
    1. GPS, the gps in PB is almost not usable, I am not talking about the navigation software, I mean its basic locating ability is flawed.
    2. apps freeze up every time when you come back from standby mode, even native apps freeze up too, such as app world.
    3. There is no option to disable standby mode, you should download some app to work around it. ridiculous.
    4. battery drain even faster after the latest update 1.0.5. And it drains much much faster than ipad1 in standby mode as well.
    5. browser is not as smooth as ipad. besides, it can not clearly tell the difference between tapping and dragging. It is very likely to open a link by accident while you intentionally are just dragging the web page. That rarely happened on iOS. Apple is much more advanced on human interface.
    6. worse and buggy keyboard than ipad while typing, sometimes it lost cursor... so on and so forth.
    ---

well I'll be really appreciate if anyone here can answer me...
    As so far I learned from this forum, those shouldn't be true...
    06-17-11 11:50 AM
    It certainly is not true in most cases - unless you're unlucky enough to have a dud unit. I have experienced none of the issues you mention - and loving my PB! Standby is there to protect battery life, though this thing is only going to get better as time goes on.
    06-17-11 11:59 AM
    Most of these are non issues now. Standby, yes... It's a pain in the *** sometimes, but not a deal breaker.

Both are great tablets, each with its own benefits and downfalls. Best thing is to figure out what features benefit you more and make a decision on those requirements. Don't make an expensive decision based on someone elses idea of whats better for you.

Max
    kyhung likes this.
    06-17-11 12:05 PM
    #1 got better with a recent update, but is still a little flakey sometimes
    #2 not in my experience, though the web browser does crash now and then
    #3 true, and can be an annoyance
    #4 not in my experience
    #5 agree 100%
    #6 disagree -- onscreen keyboard has always been great on the PB, it's a strong point
    kyhung and howarmat like this.
    06-17-11 12:07 PM
    Mine has none of your issues as well.

I haven't charged mine in a few days, but then I haven't used it in a couple days. Plenty of battery life left. Also never really felt like I was down on power even when using it heavily on the newest code.
    kyhung and anon(1440669) like this.
    06-17-11 12:09 PM
    If taken as a whole .. not one of them should detract you from making a purchase.

TO COUNTER THE NEGATIVES
    For PLUS'es if you are a BB owner:
    BRIDGE APPS AND TETHER!
    kyhung likes this.
    06-17-11 12:23 PM
    Does the GPS only work on the ipad when it is a 3G ipad. From what I remember hearing AAPL only put cell assisted GPS in their units. While the playbook's is a stand alone antenna. This is not an grapes to cherry's comparison.
    06-17-11 12:46 PM
    Only 3G models of the iPad have true GPS. Most of that list is untrue. Sounds like a typical Apple fanboy lacking much technical substance "so on and so forth".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    06-17-11 12:50 PM
    #4 not in my experience
    #5 agree 100%
    #6 disagree -- onscreen keyboard has always been great on the PB, it's a strong point
    Ding ding ding...
    06-17-11 01:04 PM
    wait whats this standby issue? isnt standby a good thing and the whole reason for these tablet devices, i.e. push button instant on activation?
    06-17-11 01:06 PM
    #4 not in my experience
    #5 agree 100%
    Wow, the only person in this thread that can muster the cajones to truthfully answer the OP's questions.
    06-17-11 01:10 PM

There are countless aspects that iPad is superior than current PB, even ipad 1 applies too. I just show you some (I dont discuss the size here)
    1. GPS, the gps in PB is almost not usable, I am not talking about the navigation software, I mean its basic locating ability is flawed.
    2. apps freeze up every time when you come back from standby mode, even native apps freeze up too, such as app world.
    3. There is no option to disable standby mode, you should download some app to work around it. ridiculous.
    4. battery drain even faster after the latest update 1.0.5. And it drains much much faster than ipad1 in standby mode as well.
    5. browser is not as smooth as ipad. besides, it can not clearly tell the difference between tapping and dragging. It is very likely to open a link by accident while you intentionally are just dragging the web page. That rarely happened on iOS. Apple is much more advanced on human interface.
    6. worse and buggy keyboard than ipad while typing, sometimes it lost cursor... so on and so forth.
    ---

1. Latest update fixed the GPS issue.
    2. Completely false
    3. The standby issue does exist but the way I use the PB is never bothers me much. I watched a long youtube video last night and the PB motored right along.
    4. Battery life is usually 8-12 hours with me depending on use.
    5. Accidental tapping can occur but after a couple of instances you learn the system and the bezel scrolling is really sweet. The PB UI is superior to the ipad, IMO.
    6. No lost cursor ever. You learn the system and away you go. The screen interaction is highly accurate and precise. With experience, you can pick out something as small as the period at the end of this sentence and tap on it. Otherwise, pinch out the screen to make it bigger and, once again, you're good to go. When I was first becoming familiar with the UI, I would enlarge the screen to type but I find myself doing that less and less unless I go to portrait mode for BB style thumb typing which I find to be very convenient.

The PB grows on you and with full access to the entire web you'll that your lap top stays closed and quiet for days on end.
    06-17-11 01:15 PM
    hi guys,
    I'm living in Taiwan now, as playbook is going to release in HK in July, we all really excited about it.

---

---

I have an ipad2 so, but I owned a launch PB.

1. It "was" unusable at launch, but updates fixed it.
    2. Hmmm not that I saw. It ran everything I threw at it.
    3. Not sure on this one. I don't think its true as I watched full movies on it with no issue (I could be wrong)
    4. ???
    5. Browser was pretty darn good. Smaller screen but good.
    6. Hm typing was fine, just a small screen

Both devices have good and bad points. YOU have to decide which points are more / less important to you.
    06-17-11 01:22 PM
    To compare apple to apple, IPad wifi only version does not have a GPS to begin with.

Other than the app freezing if left unattended for a while, the other points are pretty much non-issues.

Standby mode would be activated when you listen to audio in the browser, -- could be annoying -- but no problem with watching web videos.
    06-17-11 01:57 PM
    Never experienced this after updating to version 1.0.5.

Never experienced this.

I totally agree on this. 5 minutes max is unacceptable.

Disagree on this. My battery life seems to be better in this version.

I'm with you on this. This is where apple shines.

Very annoying and still happening from time to time in 1.0.5.
    06-17-11 02:01 PM
    [...]
    5. Accidental tapping can occur but after a couple of instances you learn the system and the bezel scrolling is really sweet. The PB UI is superior to the ipad, IMO.
    [...]
    What bezel scrolling are you referring to? I just tried to scroll a website using the bezel and nothing happened
    06-17-11 02:07 PM
    --I had the Poynt app which did not work prior to the latest update. Now it locates me immediately. The other gps app I use was the Bing maps which works good enough. So the flaws are minor.

--I can't recall any apps freezing on me. Other than the app world on the day of the latest update for an hour or so since RIM was making update to the app world itself it is one of the things you will appreciate compared to the pad.

--Have heard people complaining about this. Haven't had any issue myself and prefer that it goes into disable mode rather than me doing it everytime

--This might sound weird. My battery did drain a lot faster after the 1.05 update. But what is more weird is after this happened a couple of time I get much better battery life now both in standby and user mode.
    In standby more it drains slightly less that 1% every hour (with wifi on)

--Yes it does open links by accident more often than in ipad, but overall browser experience is wayyy better in playbook

-- again happened a couple of times out of thousands of time, so not an issue. But personally for me it is a lottt easier to type on the 7" landscape bb than either on portrait/landscape on the pad

As so far I learned from this forum, those shouldn't be true...[/QUOTE]
    jajano likes this.
    06-17-11 02:17 PM
    hi guys,

---

---

Hi. That's NOT what I experience. In fact some friends of mine who have iPad2 and have tried out my PlayBook (32GB) say the PlayBook is MUCH superior in many ways...such as display; and the keyboard; and the mulitasking; and even bridge. GPS works fine on my PB as well.

Hope this helps you.
    jajano likes this.
    06-17-11 02:34 PM
    You also have to factor in the new iOS 5.0 and all it's features that is soon to be released in September and weigh that against PB.
    06-17-11 02:36 PM
    You also have to factor in the new iOS 5.0 and all it's features that is soon to be released in September and weigh that against PB.
    If you are going to do that then you also need to consider whatever state the PB OS is in come September. You can't compare today's PlayBook with September's iPad.
    06-17-11 05:50 PM
    If you are going to do that then you also need to consider whatever state the PB OS is in come September. You can't compare today's PlayBook with September's iPad.
    No one knows what that's going to be.

Apple has already announced what is in iOS5.
    06-17-11 06:25 PM
    I am a huge apple fan, macbook pro iphone apple tv iPad. After playing with the PB fir a while I can honestly say overall the the PB is a better and more fun experience. Only 3 things that I love more about the iPad.

1- apps (obviously the amount of apps doesn't compare)

2- home sharing( I love lying on the couch, graving the iPad and streaming videos on my Mac to the iPad wirelessly)

3- iTunes! The godfather of all apps( music, apps, tv shows ext...) 1 click and you got any video rented or bought)

Maybe I'm wring but I dint see a easy way to get movies, tv shows or stream anything to the PB

But it is a great machine and I expect it to get even better.
    jajano and kyhung like this.
    06-17-11 07:09 PM
    Funny how this someone never mentioned flash, screen resolution and camera/video camera oh! wait! the ipad1 doesn't have either! (even the ipad2's cameras get blown outta the water by the playbook's) I mean come on apple, a vga camera? That's technology from the 80's.
    06-17-11 09:18 PM
    What bezel scrolling are you referring to? I just tried to scroll a website using the bezel and nothing happened
    Glad to get you going on bezel scrolling.

Start with your finger on the screen. The very edge of the screen will do just fine. Now, move your finger just off the screen to the bezel, move your finger vertically (or horizontally if you're using the bottom bezel) parallel to the screen and the screen will scroll exactly with your movement.

The interesting thing that I've noticed is that the movement action of bezel scrolling is more lock step (sort of like the ipad) than the beautiful fluid action of the main screen.
    BKillar likes this.
    06-17-11 09:28 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...settle-623781/

Please read. I'm sick of all these threads.
    06-17-11 09:57 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD