"RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook Already has 3 Strikes--Is It Out?"

RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook tablet has only been available for a few short days and already it has three strikes against it -- maybe even more.

The reviews thus far are infamously horrendous, evidence to the fact that RIM was rushing to compete in the tablet market, but soon may not be competing at all.

The PlayBook has a lot of mini-strikes against it; let's call those foul balls. For instance, the tablet shipped with no integrated e-mail, contacts, or calendaring -- essential tools for just about any wireless-connected device -- and BlackBerry's app selection is laughable. But now major wireless carriers and media outlets are inching away from the PlayBook, a move that all but signs RIM's death warrant.

The first big strike was when AT&T pulled the plug on the BlackBerry Bridge app. RIM made its name in the enterprise on e-mail, but because the PlayBook doesn't have native e-mail capabilities, it requires the BlackBerry Bridge app to, you know, function. Though RIM promises to bring e-mail to the PlayBook later this year, by that time there's a good chance RIM will be removing the PlayBook from retail shelves.

But hold on a second: the PlayBook may not make it to big name retail shelves in the first place. That's the PlayBook's second strike: even though RIM was psyched that its tablet would eventually operate on Verizon's 4G network, Verizon is "meh" about the deal. A company spokesperson told Reuters that Verizon is "still evaluating" the tablet and hasn't determined whether they plan on distributing it.

So, let's see. Without email or a high-speed 4G network, you can still enjoy the PlayBook's sharp display to view Web media, right? Maybe not. Hulu just blocked the PlayBook's access to its streaming content. While this isn't too much of a surprise, when you remove AT&T, Verizon and major media channels like Hulu from the PlayBook's ugly equation, RIM doesn't appear to stand much of a chance at making it out of the little leagues, and in fact, may never live down the embarrassment of the PlayBook's failure, should this pessimistic trend continue.

---End of Article---

RIM NEEDS TO GET THE NATIVE Email, Calendar, Video Chat and BBM apps out ASAP and put on some advertising, or this device's will end up a huge failure like the Xoom I hate to see great devices fail because of small reasons like these. PlayBook looks really promising but RIM needs to act fast..
    Last edited by Chipchop; 04-24-11 at 08:18 PM.
    04-24-11 08:14 PM
    I have to say....I am slightly disappointed in the reviews. I think they all undervalued the beauty of the PB.

Frankly I haven't put it down. What are they talking about no native email? I'm pretty sure when I am tethered in I have native email.

If your tethered in with your corporate BB ...that would be your corporate email no?

A lot of these reviewers/bloggers that are apple/android fans tend to love to down play any of the good of the PB. ...why do you think they all talked about the "power button" issue. Uhh wtf? Seems like a lame excuse to ***** about a device. Web browser incomplete?

ATT will come around. Big deal. I'm not overly concerned. Mainly because bell canada lets me tether :P

I also love how they say ohhh doesn't have 3g/4g/lte...last i checked you can only get the itampon in 3G...and pay for an extra data plan. Meanwhile I'll continue to tether for free.
    meganVee and MuruXD like this.
    04-24-11 08:22 PM
    I like the Playbook alot but why would they release a device without Native Email? And the way Rim is about email it was a little shocking. I hear a few weeks it is coming or even months. Did i hear that right? Couple months? As i said i really like the Playbook. Let`s hope the little things start getting fixed
    04-24-11 08:25 PM
    If you can email on a bb torch over wifi, why cant you do yhe same on the playbook?
    04-24-11 08:28 PM
    This is a horribly written article. Just look at the comments at the bottom.
    04-24-11 08:29 PM
    You can email from the browser!
    04-24-11 08:33 PM
    I have them all...iPad, iPad 2, Xoom and now the Playbook. So far, I like the PlayBook more than the Xoom because it has the only real outdoor-capable display of the mentioned tablets. Unfortunately this is not enough for a device priced at iPad 2 level.
    We need much more native PB apps and of course native mail, calendar and Exchange support. A universal bridge for Blackberries, Android and iOS would be fine too.
    The PB is a nice little fellow but it isn't enough.
    04-24-11 08:34 PM
    "Almost Dead" is an understatement. It "is" dead!
    04-24-11 08:35 PM
    You can email from the browser!
    Yeah...great suggestion. Just tell me: How can I reply to already received mails during a ten hour flight without WiFi access? How do I even get to read these old mails?
    Some of you guys are really out of this world...playing flash games online, using browser apps online...ckecking/composing mail online...you guys seem to live in an unlimited wireless availability universe far away from planet Earth...or you still live with your mother and don't even know how a plane looks.
    Seriously, guys...this is why the PB will fail.
    04-24-11 08:41 PM
    I wouldn't put too much faith in a one sided article....

If an article doesn't carry a balanced perspective , then it is only worthy of being utterly ignored...

Readers tend to harbor much animosity towards "toilet grade" journalism ... in the comment section you'll tend to see them launch a fierce offensive!

As far as bugs and certain native features...they'll be in the rear view mirror in a short amount of time.

At present there are short comings..in the future it should be a consumer friendly device...

Either purchase now....or wait till it has evolved and the kinks are ironed out
    04-24-11 08:43 PM
    I will wait until it is at a good price 399 or less and then purchase..It is not near worth the cost "right now"
    04-24-11 08:48 PM
    Yeah...great suggestion. Just tell me: How can I reply to already received mails during a ten hour flight without WiFi access? How do I even get to read these old mails?
    Some of you guys are really out of this world...playing flash games online, using browser apps online...ckecking/composing mail online...you guys seem to live in an unlimited wireless availability universe far away from planet Earth...or you still live with your mother and don't even know how a plane looks.
    Well I dont live with my mother (although I'm sure she wished I did!) and I travel for work and for play. I dont answer emails on the plane although I suppose if there was a wifi connection, I might. I use webmail, or Outlook Web Access (on my laptop and now on the PB) and it works for me. I can wait for the native email/calendar PB Apps.

Anyway, using the PB browser for my email works for me but I understand why it may not work for you.
    04-24-11 09:00 PM
    I love the comments on the site. It does seem like a very one sided article. It will great to see what they have to say about the device when the things they say it lacks are on the device. Which will hopefully be on there in a few weeks...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 09:03 PM

10 hour flight without WiFi? Where are you flying? What respectable flight org would even fly planes without wifi. I do know what a plan looks like. I haven't used my brick laptop in a week. I would not call that a failure.
    04-24-11 09:04 PM
    Own an iPad and recently went tdy for a week. When I arrived at the hotel, there was no wifi available. They did have the modem and Ethernet cable though. I need a tablet that will allow me the abliity to plug in if needed. Until now, the wifi iPad fit all my needs. Now I know that my needs are changing.

I hope the Playbook makes it. The more I look at it, the more I seem to like it. Just waiting to see the updates and apps in future releases.
    04-24-11 09:09 PM
    None of this has any significant impact on me. I'm on ATT and have no problem with bridge. Accordingly, native email is a non factor. More apps would be nice, but I believe they will come. Also, I have no desire to have another data plan, so WiFi only suits me fine.

A lot of hate was also sent out when the Torch was released, some of it warranted. But I am very happy I made up my own mind to hang onto it rather than listen to the negativity. It has turned out to be a great device. PB is really good, and its only gonna get better.
    04-24-11 09:09 PM
    everytime i fly commercial.. and that's about 20-30 times a year, there's always Wi-Fi on board. it's called inflight Wi Fi access.
    try to google Gogo Internet and you'll understand what i'm referring to.

@ rentnteam? when was the last time you had a plane ride? and i don't mean the one you do with your Xbox or PS3.
    04-24-11 09:16 PM
    None of this has any significant impact on me. I'm on ATT and have no problem with bridge. Accordingly, native email is a non factor. More apps would be nice, but I believe they will come. Also, I have no desire to have another data plan, so WiFi only suits me fine.

A lot of hate was also sent out when the Torch was released, some of it warranted. But I am very happy I made up my own mind to hang onto it rather than listen to the negativity. It has turned out to be a great device. PB is really good, and its only gonna get better.
    ^^^ This.

How many more of these 'PlayBook Is Dead' threads that regurgitate the exact same negative points almost verbatim are we going to be subjected to.
    missing_K-W and frannip like this.
    04-24-11 09:25 PM
    Had mine since launch day and it just keeps getting better and better with each passing day. New update to Poynt now gives GPS. Nothing but upside for the PlayBook.
    04-24-11 09:29 PM
    everytime i fly commercial.. and that's about 20-30 times a year, there's always Wi-Fi on board. it's called inflight Wi Fi access.
    try to google Gogo Internet and you'll understand what i'm referring to.

@ rentnteam? when was the last time you had a plane ride? and i don't mean the one you do with your Xbox or PS3.
    Try international flight, they don't have Wi-Fi yet. Imagine 16-18 hours sitting in a plane with no Wi-Fi
    Last edited by dennie82; 04-24-11 at 09:34 PM.
    04-24-11 09:29 PM
    Try international flight, they don't have Wi-Fi yet. Imagine 16-18 hours sitting in a plane with no Wi-Fi
    aircanada.com - Stay Connected: New Wi-Fi Service Takes Flight

It may not be available everywhere, but wi-fi is available on certain international routes. Perhaps you should check where you travel and the carrier to which you fly to see if they have wi-fi on specific flights. If you truly need to check your email every minute (sarcasm obviously), then choose these flights.

Personally, the last thing I want to do on an airplane is check my email.
    04-24-11 09:42 PM
    I know where I travel and the carriers. They don't have Wi-Fi yet on their flight. Now it's just the matter of time I hope, it's really boring to fly with no Wi-Fi.
    04-24-11 09:54 PM
    Another rehashing of the same internet drivel. Hulu has little to do with the success or failure if that was the case ipad would have failed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 10:02 PM
    The article is one-sided, but I noticed something: everything cited in the article is true. Yet you'll all still ignore it, because you don't really have any credible responses to the criticisms other than "RIM will fix this soon."
    How about we're not ignoring it, we're just sick and bloody tired of seeing and responding to the same freakin' criticisms over and over again. How about you people still ignore the fact that there are a lot of us for whom these so-called major shortcomings are non-issues, but you continue pi$$ing up this tree anyway.
    04-24-11 10:06 PM
    well even with my ipad 3G, i wouldn't be able to check those emails at 30,000 feet.
    so i really don't understand the point of "these" posts.
    at 30,000 feet if you don't have Wi-Fi access
    the Playbook, Xoom and ipad 3G are on equal footing.

No one's gonna be able to check their email or do any web access.
    NobleSix likes this.
    04-24-11 10:27 PM
144 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD