Hey everyone! I recently got a new HP laptop with Windows 8, and I'm having trouble connecting it to my PlayBook. I've had no problem connecting my Torch 9810 to the laptop via Bluetooth AND USB, but my PlayBook is struggling to do either.

When I connect my PlayBook via USB, it starts installing the drivers, then I get no further messages from my laptop, and Desktop Manager just hangs in a connecting state. When I try to connect it via Bluetooth, it prompts me to enter a WPS PIN. I tried generating one with my PlayBook. but again it just hangs, and says my PlayBook has gotten tired of trying.

I had no problems connecting it to my old laptop via USB. Is anyone else having trouble with Windows 8? Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening, or what I can do to fix it? Thanks!
    01-15-13 03:21 PM
    For anyone else having this problem, this is how I managed to resolve it.

Problem:
    Windows 8 unable to install PlayBook drivers, resulting in the computer recognizing that the PlayBook is connected, but unable to give you any access to it. It does not appear in the Computer window, and does not prompt you for the PlayBook password. After a minute or so, the BlackBerry device manager recognizes that the PlayBook is connected, and the BlackBerry Desktop Software recognizes the PlayBook, displaying your PIN, but fails to connect, prompting you the the retry/update/cancel window.

I did three things, not sure if all are necessary. You may want to start with the third, and work your way back, repeating the other steps each time if necessary.

First thing: In Windows Control Panel/Programs, click "Turn Windows features on or off". A list will load, make sure .NET framework 3.5 is checked.

Second thing: In the Windows Control Panel/Hardware and Sound, click "device manager", scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers, expand the tree, and you'll see a number of USB Root Hub entries. In each of their properties, under the Power Management tab, uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Second thing: With the PlayBook connected via USB, still in control panel/Hardware and Sound/device manager, scroll up to Network Adapters, and you should see a BlackBerry Device entry, with a hazard sign and exclamation mark, indicating the driver isn't properly installed. Right click and uninstall the driver, and then press the "scan for new hardware changes" button. The BlackBerry Device entry should return, hopefully this time properly installed. Opening BlackBerry Desktop Software at this point should allow you to connect to the PlayBook. To get it to appear in the Computers window, unplug the PlayBook, and reset both the PlayBook and the Computer. Once both have restarted, reconnect the two, and you should be prompted with the PlayBook password, and everything should work fine.

Good luck! Hope this helps!
    01-22-13 07:01 PM