So now that I have had time to play with the new PB 2.0 I have been very impressed with the way the PB is handling the android apps. So much so that I have been side-loading away and I am approaching near parity with the number of android apps as with native PB apps.

So this raises the question - why deal with the hassle of sideloading, why not just get an Android tablet? Is the PB android player going to turn in to an inadvertent advertising campaign for Android? This may not be a near term issue but when considering my next tablet upgrade it certainly will. Curious as to what compelling reasons people have to stick with the PB. For me I much prefer the PB UI over that of other Android tablets.
    02-26-12 01:53 PM
    Because their are features on the PB which are currently not available on android tabs such as active push mail, bridge and real time multitasking. The advantage of having the PB is you can have the best of both worlds!
    andrew.t11 likes this.
    02-26-12 01:57 PM
    Yup that's what I'd do were I you, want to sell your "obsolete" PlayBook?
    02-26-12 01:58 PM
    So now that I have had time to play with the new PB 2.0 I have been very impressed with the way the PB is handling the android apps. So much so that I have been side-loading away and I am approaching near parity with the number of android apps as with native PB apps.

So this raises the question - why deal with the hassle of sideloading, why not just get an Android tablet? Is the PB android player going to turn in to an inadvertent advertising campaign for Android? This may not be a near term issue but when considering my next tablet upgrade it certainly will. Curious as to what compelling reasons people have to stick with the PB. For me I much prefer the PB UI over that of other Android tablets.
    You just answered it yourself -- plus the Bridge / remote features.
    02-26-12 02:00 PM
    For me I much prefer the PB UI over that of other Android tablets.
    You answered your own question. Android has no control of the who uses the Android OS, or how it is implemented, or what hardware it is put on. This is already resulting in fragmentation. RIM has complete control over everything on the Playbook from hardware to OS to the UI. Google only has that on the Nexus, not any of the other high end to low end Android devices. It may be a computer nerds dream OS for a phone, but that isn't the majority of the public. I still prefer native apps and they are coming out and the market is getting better. RIM knows what it needs to do now for the phones to be successful, it is just a matter of if they can implement everything and convince people that it isn't there bosses or fathers Blackberry (which I think should be the marketing campaign for BB10).
    02-26-12 02:01 PM
    For me personally it is just a feature.... I have used the playbook since it came out last April and love it... The reason I use it so much is I like the way it works... The hardware... Ui and yes the apps...... I own an Android tablet and never use it... Not because it isn't any good just because I prefer the Playbook...

All the Android apps do is give RIM more of a catalog... A selling point... For me personally and for what I do I have not found very many apps that apeal to me.....

It is agreat marketing tool to have two app ecosystems on one tablet.....
    02-26-12 02:01 PM

An afterthought....

Blackberry actually has gone our of their way to integrate Android apps into the ecosystem... They went as far as to insist that Android Market be removed from submiited apps... If you were actively promoting it there woudl be an Android section in App World.....
    02-26-12 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD