OK, I was lucky enough to never have to stack charge or have any battery issue's with my blackberry playbook as most ran across sometimes which I read led to stack charging, etc, etc - sometimes even a dead PB.

Now, since the battery life is so decent on the PB and the issue at hand here is it needs that voltage to start to charge, why didn't somebody (cough blackberry cough) make an app that just shuts down your PB at around 8% battery life as in your playbook will read 60% battery life when it really is at 68% - understand?

This app would mimic dead battery-life and NOT allow the playbook to be turned back on as in the battery is dead at 8% - no matter what!...

Would this not have worked and even still work today and be such a simple app to create/solution since the issue is on the software side for the most part depending how you look at it, this would indeed work for all you who have this issue? I know if I had the issue I read about I would "purchase" an app like this today and it would so KB size prob - very easy to make.

What does everyone think beings I never had this issue, would that not have worked as a simple solution or?...

PS: Yes, you are sacrificing a little battery life for a fix on a machine with good battery life to start with, win - win!?! It could even be done at 5% or 4% I am just tossing numbers around! They all would work and be safe.
    04-21-15 05:12 PM
    BB could have, (and may already have, I don't know) just baked into the OS a safety threshold of say 8 percent, when the battery get to 8 percent you get the warning.......No app needed.
    04-23-15 08:59 AM
    My Playbook gives me a visual warning message when the battery reaches 10% left, which I then have to acknowledge, then warns me again every time it drops below 10% by 1%. My Playbook's at home, but I seem to remember setting that up through Settings. I've never had the battery go completely dead.
    04-23-15 09:18 AM
    When the PlayBook or any device shuts down due to low battery level, the battery isn't dead. It still has a bit of juice to run the low level firm ware to manage the battery and things like the blinking LED. Even you don't use the device, the battery constantly discharges itself albeit at a low rate until it is completely dead. You can actually reduce the rate of this self discharge by removing the battery from the device but this isn't a ready option for the PlayBook.

So when the battery is totally dead, the firm ware to manage the battery cannot run. To avoid potential fire hazard, lithium batteries are designed to accept charge for only a short period of time even a constant charge current is present. So plugging the charger for hours without the firm ware running would not do anything. Stack charging allows the battery take a little bit of charge at a time until it has enough juice to fire up the low level firm ware to allow the battery to take a constant charge current. The OS can be loaded only when the battery has enough juice to take the load. This is the same level that the device shuts down. You can mark this level as 0% or whatever. It really makes no practical differences. The consequence is the same if you don't charge the battery right away.

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 likes this.
    04-28-15 08:51 AM