I got my dad a PlayBook a couple of months ago. Suddenly it stopped taking a charge and won't connect to his PC. The PB is now dead and nothing boots it back up.

We ordered directly from RIM.

How do we go about fixing it? Do I need to call RIM and order a new one (I assume it's under some warranty - its less than 3 months old).

Thanks!
    05-21-12 10:13 PM
    Its the crappy chargers. I had the same issue with both my wife's and mine after 1 month and $1200. I thought they were broken because they wouldn't boot, but its only because they had drained completely. RIM replaced the chargers and they worked again for 1 month. But again they stopped producing the necessary current to charge the units. Then I found that the universal laptop chargers with an available USB port worked while I tried to find a replacement. I found 1 cradle charger and a rapid charger on E bay new for half the cost of retail (probably because no one is buying PB's). The rapid chargers are currently working but who knows in another 30 days.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    05-21-12 10:38 PM
    Be with your Dad when you make the call to Rim support.
    It's probably one of two things..

1. USB Port is damaged...... Buy the Rapid Charger or Dock with the magnetic end. Saves wear and tear on the port and saves it for backing up to the PC.

2. Can be revived by doing a 'stack charge'
    Stack Charging:

"stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes. You might have to do the cycles again if no red light appears.
    Then put it on the charger and let it charge.. will take around 2hrs with the OEM Playbook Rapid charger (magnetic end) or longer with the OEM Playbook wall charger.
    05-21-12 10:41 PM
    Ok thanks.

I'm going to try and find a charger to connect.

It's weird. When plugged in, no red light flashing or anything. PM is just dead. Won't connect to his computer either. I'm going to try some of those suggestions before calling. If nothing works, I'll give a call to RIM tomorrow and post updates.

Thanks for the info guys, really informative!
    05-21-12 10:58 PM
    Having the same connect to PC issue at the moment also. I just figure maybe its a low battery issue (or at least I hope).
    05-21-12 11:08 PM
    I got my fingers crossed for you! The Rapid Charger with the magnetic end was the first accessory I bought for the PB... so much easier to get the connection solid, and I don't even have to look anymore!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-21-12 11:11 PM
    Hope you get it working but here's info:

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    bbfan1040, mmason31 and SaMaster14 like this.
    05-22-12 12:01 AM
    I got my fingers crossed for you! The Rapid Charger with the magnetic end was the first accessory I bought for the PB... so much easier to get the connection solid, and I don't even have to look anymore!
    I second that about the Rapid Charger its the best thing, get the end within a quarter inch and it finds its way home and doesn't care which way it's connected, but the best thing is the way it pulls off so easy, I destroyed a Palm Lifedrive and a IPAC from forgetting it was plug in and getting up and walking away, when you're not expecting it its amazing how fast something can get ripped out of your hand.
    05-22-12 04:11 AM
    Apparently, my dad thinks he broke the port by trying and forcing the charger in (he thought it wasn't charging because he didn't have the jack in far enough).

So, I'm going to give a call to that number and see if we can get another PB on warranty and then go ahead and order one of those rapid chargers.
    05-23-12 09:37 PM
    I seem to have the same issue but my ports are fine as far as I know as the USB port was OK last time I used it. One night to the next morning my PB stopped working. Calling RIM to see if I too can initiate a warranty claim.

Mike
    05-23-12 09:44 PM
    Turns out I tried pretty much everything that I could based on search results on these forums. The tech support guy made me do it all over again, with negative results. The conclusion, despite my being aware that the USB port is fragile-ish and it working right through to the last charge, is that the USB port is toast.

I can't see it, but they're FedEx'ing me a box tonight, I should get it 24-48 hours and then they say I'll get my PB back fixed and/or replaced within about a week after I send it back. Here's hoping I get the box and send it back Friday meaning I'll have it before the end of next week or early the week after.

I seem to have the same issue but my ports are fine as far as I know as the USB port was OK last time I used it. One night to the next morning my PB stopped working. Calling RIM to see if I too can initiate a warranty claim.

Mike
    05-23-12 10:17 PM
    Turns out I tried pretty much everything that I could based on search results on these forums. The tech support guy made me do it all over again, with negative results. The conclusion, despite my being aware that the USB port is fragile-ish and it working right through to the last charge, is that the USB port is toast.

I can't see it, but they're FedEx'ing me a box tonight, I should get it 24-48 hours and then they say I'll get my PB back fixed and/or replaced within about a week after I send it back. Here's hoping I get the box and send it back Friday meaning I'll have it before the end of next week or early the week after.
    I don't know if the shipment across the border will slow it down. But I called one day, the box was here the next day. I was busy so held off a day plus weekend. It was shipped out at Weds, 4:30pm (pickup time at small fedex joint) and arrived in Tennessee the next day, Thurs. They REPLACED mine and shipped on Friday and it was back on the US west coast before 10:30am on Monday! Oh, they require a signed receipt upon delivery back to you.

I don't know why they chose to replace it. Mine was a standby power issue.

Good luck.
    05-24-12 12:08 AM
    Well... here's how it played out. I received my FedEx box on Friday - they tried shipping Thursday but I wasn't home. I went to the FedEx outlet, opened the package, then turned around and sent it right back. I received another notice on my door yesterday (the following Friday) and just went to pick it up now.

I am not sure if it's a refurb or a new one - I'll look up the serial number and go from there to figure it out - but I most definitely didn't get my 'old' one back. It's doing its initial setup as I type.

Not too bad! Now on the outside chance I miraculously DID bust the USB port on it overnight whilst sleeping, I'm going to order a rapid charger either from eBay or BestBuy and hope this is my first and last experience. All said and done, RIM got me going again in a week.

AWESOME JOB, RIM!!!
    06-02-12 04:24 PM
    Nice to hear.
    06-02-12 05:41 PM
    I think a major hassle if the usb port goes bung is that you can't access Desktop Mgr or side load books/ music / apps unless you set up a wifi network between PC and PB.

Way around this would have been to have made the PB charging pod in the same style as the phone charging pod - that is you can have the phone in the charging pod (and charging via wall plug) AND have usb attachment to PC at the same time.

Unfortunately on the current model PB the usb/hdmi ports and the magnetic points for pod attachment are next to each other.

Another set of magnetic points - to allow for Portrait mode charging would also resolve the positioning of the usb/hdmi ports.

Pls RIM - next PB model - re-locate the usb/hdmi ports OR create portrait view charging and add magnetic points on a side of the PB - because at least then you can keep the PB on charge whilst watching vids via PB hdmi port for example.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 06-02-12 at 08:44 PM.
    06-02-12 08:39 PM
    Heavens1:

You can get the OTHER magnetic charger, I guess, called the Travel Charger. It is a small plug that attaches to that rightmost port and you can plug things into the other ports. You can use it in any orientation.
    Attached Thumbnails PB won't take a charge/connect to PC-dockandrapidpcharger.jpg  
    06-02-12 10:23 PM
    I am having the same problem right now. I don't think I have backed up recently enough as I didn't seen the need and have bought quite a few apps as I have only had it about 3 weeks. I guess I will lose all the apps I have bought since the last back up if I need a new PB. Glad you got your problem sorted.
    12-26-12 12:08 PM
    I am having the same problem right now. I don't think I have backed up recently enough as I didn't seen the need and have bought quite a few apps as I have only had it about 3 weeks. I guess I will lose all the apps I have bought since the last back up if I need a new PB. Glad you got your problem sorted.
    Any apps you have purchased will be available again from appworld - check My World and then the UNinstalled listings. If any app has changed in price, you might have to pay an upgrade free. Report back with issues.
    paultpault likes this.
    12-26-12 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD