Ok so I will be going on a road trip this weekend and want to use my PB while on the road. Yesterday I tested my car adapter with the BB usb cable plugged in and connected it to my PB only to find out it wouldnt charge!! (Im guessing there wasnt enough power to charge the PB?) So what can I do to make it work or suggest me some good car chargers or car adapters that will charge my Playbook. Please help me out as I do not want to sit in the car becoming bored after it dies . Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
    07-05-11 02:57 PM
    Ok so I will be going on a road trip this weekend and want to use my PB while on the road. Yesterday I tested my car adapter with the BB usb cable plugged in and connected it to my PB only to find out it wouldnt charge!! (Im guessing there wasnt enough power to charge the PB?) So what can I do to make it work or suggest me some good car chargers or car adapters that will charge my Playbook. Please help me out as I do not want to sit in the car becoming bored after it dies . Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
    Buy an inverter to covert DC to AC, then plug the AC adapter that came with your PB into that. Or you'll have to find a micro USB car charger capable of 600 mA of output.
    07-05-11 03:11 PM
    I personally use a DC to AC power invertor
    07-05-11 03:12 PM
    I personally use a DC to AC power invertor
    Can you post the link of where I can buy it please? That'll help a lot. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 03:14 PM
    07-05-11 03:16 PM
    Any automotive store or Walmart/Canadian Tire would sell a 12V DC to AC invertor so you can use the PlayBook charger. Most standard 12V socket chargers only charge at 700 ma but the PlayBook needs 1800 ma.

07-05-11 03:31 PM
    I got a playbook ac/car power kit made by HIP STREET

Walmart

Comes with usb connectors for PlayBook and bb smartphones . Works great.
    07-05-11 03:39 PM
    Only solution I found was a 100W+ inverter even the 75W inverters I tried didn't put out the amps required to power my playbook.

07-05-11 03:56 PM
    Inverters are a pretty extreme way of getting juice to the PB... I bought a cigarette adapter that puts out 2.1A and just got myself a USB charging cable. Even if it's lower output like 1A or so it will charge it just fine, the trick is to use a charging cable and not a data cable. Charging cables have the two data lines in the cable shorted out on the device side.

Much cheaper and easier fix then using a bulky inverter and you can keep your adapter in the house then. You can get the parts from monoprice for $10 or so.
    07-05-11 04:05 PM
    Inverters are a pretty extreme way of getting juice to the PB... I bought a cigarette adapter that puts out 2.1A and just got myself a USB charging cable. Even if it's lower output like 1A or so it will charge it just fine, the trick is to use a charging cable and not a data cable. Charging cables have the two data lines in the cable shorted out on the device side.

Much cheaper and easier fix then using a bulky inverter and you can keep your adapter in the house then. You can get the parts from monoprice for $10 or so.
    I have been unable to find these "charging cables", and none of the cables I tried seem to work with my 2.1A USB car adapter on my Playbook.
    07-05-11 05:17 PM
    i have a bb charger for torch... pb shows a plug in batt icon instead of lightning bolt... i noticed while using pb with this car charger the other day that it was draining faster than normal instead gaining charge... which nagged me greatly because i had some work to finish while riding with my wife... however, when i put pb down and checked it several minutes latter it showed about a 10% chrg increase, still only showing the plug instead of the bolt. must use a sloooow, kind of priority only charge.
    07-05-11 05:25 PM
    another vote on the inverter. Got mine at Canadian tire and works well plugged into my truck... the 75 is too weak though as De said. 100 watt inverter on sale right now for 17.49 reg 34.99
    07-05-11 05:27 PM
    i use my bb curve car charger and it works just fine!
    07-05-11 05:38 PM
    i have a bb charger for torch... pb shows a plug in batt icon instead of lightning bolt... i noticed while using pb with this car charger the other day that it was draining faster than normal instead gaining charge... which nagged me greatly because i had some work to finish while riding with my wife... however, when i put pb down and checked it several minutes latter it showed about a 10% chrg increase, still only showing the plug instead of the bolt. must use a sloooow, kind of priority only charge.
    i use my bb curve car charger and it works just fine!
    regular BB chargers really shouldnt be used. They are probably 1000ma at most and many are only 700-800ma. The playbook charger is 1700-1800ma i think. using the other chargers as you have figured out might not be keep up with the use of the PB and it might discharge actually.
    07-05-11 06:35 PM
    I have been unable to find these "charging cables", and none of the cables I tried seem to work with my 2.1A USB car adapter on my Playbook.
    I got my charging cable at the AT&T store for $10.
    07-05-11 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD