It's been a little over a week since my Playbook arrived and I'm getting used to the UI, but there is something missing. Special characters. Namely, accented characters.

Obviously, I am not talking about the on-screen keyboard. That is the best virtual keyboard I ever used and the predictive input is just amazing. The bluetooth HID input is a completely different animal, though. I read the effin' manual and, in theory, it should allow accented characters using a sequence of alt+accent+letter. Can anyone confirm that it works and which keyboard was used to test?

Apple keyboard won't do. Actually, even the 9700 acting through the bridge won't accent the vowels. Holding them and sliding the trackpad will render a capital letter and the cursor coming along the screen. I have found no solution at all up to now, which is a major dealbreaker, since I work as a writer and got the PB to lighten up my backpack load. If anyone can confirm a working keyboard (other than RIM's mini, as accessories are as scarce as VERY expensive in Brazil - a single case is worth a third of a new PB), like Nokia's foldable or another model, I would be grateful.
    08-06-12 06:35 PM
    I know that keystroke combos work on *RIMS* keyboard. I'm not sure that they work on any other models.
    08-06-12 09:12 PM
    I know that keystroke combos work on *RIMS* keyboard. I'm not sure that they work on any other models.
    That's the whole point here, knowing which keyboards work. Besides RIM's, of course. I would love to get one, the trackpad is quite attractive, but it'd be surely pricey to import one, as RFB, the brazilian IRS, charges 60% tax over imports. Plus the dollar quote. Ugh.

Their symbol is a lion. Wonder why.

Anyone? Please help!
    08-07-12 06:37 AM
    Have you tried holding the key on the RIM keyboard?

I know Accents are available on the PlayBook keyboard by holding the key.. Attachment 115135..

However, on the BB phone, I believe some languages need to be installed first via DM and used in combination with AutoText or Predictive text.

I doubt if any external keyboard will give you Accent feature as of now..
    08-08-12 01:03 AM
    Sure, I can write with accents using the on-screen keyboard. It actually uses the same logic that's been in use for some years, so I got that as soon as the OS completed it first update.

What I'm talking about is writing with accents using a external, standard HID profile-compliant, bluetooth keyboard. User guide has a topic on the key combos, I have read it, but my keyboard won't work.

I'm hoping a regular chinese keyboard, alful as they are (silicone keys stink big time), will work. Will test one later today.
    08-08-12 09:19 AM
    ...anyone?

It sounds like a simple codepage issue. I tested it with two other bluetooth keyboards (and am considering building a OTG cable to test a USB one) and they behave the same as Apple's. Hopefully, RIM is going to fix that, since part of Canada speak french and they use most accents Portuguese uses.
    08-15-12 01:28 PM
    I've had this same issue with my Freedom keyboard since day 1. I normally have to turn to the auto correct with my fingers to get what I need/want.
    Maybe you can try using a bridge BlackBerry as a keyboard, there the accents work better
    08-15-12 04:02 PM
    Using my ol' 9700 as a keyboard was actually my first though after realizing Apple kb wasn't doing the job. Not only it didn't work but the hold/slide pattern we usually do to get the accented letters also doesn't work. Turning the auto correct and using together with the bluetooth kb might work, albeit unpractical. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the idea.
    08-15-12 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD