I am using my PB for power point presentations on a digital projector and it works great. I use my 9850 in the Presenter mode of Bridge and that works extremely well. Love it

ANYWAY....here is my question. I want to now show videos with sound during my training seminars. My projector does not have any way to output the sound (from the HDMI input) to an external sound system.

I tried using the headphone jack (of PB) to supply the input to my amp and speakers. That worked pretty good, but there is noticeable hum and static when I crank up the volume that I need.

Is there an adapter that I could split off the sound from the HDMI cable before it goes into my projector?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.
    03-17-12 04:54 PM
    I'm guessing your audio system does not have an HDMI pass-through or other HDMI input.

Would something like this do?

1x1 HDMI Audio Converter. Extract audio from HDMI to Optical Toslink. Full 1080P resolution.

I know it's pricey but just trying to figure out if this is the kind of thing you need.
    03-17-12 05:05 PM
    03-17-12 05:09 PM
    Thanks for ides......My sound system does not have an HDMI pass-through.

Both of the above ideas look pretty good. I have seen these products from Google searches and was hoping for a small "splitter" type black box. Probably no shortcut though.
    03-17-12 05:13 PM
    I don't think you're going to find a "non-powered" option. I bought a micro-HDMI to VGA adapter so I could connect my PB to a standard display output. Most corp conf rooms, even with large digital displays, only provide a VGA cable at the podium or table. But it doesn't split off audio.
    03-17-12 05:32 PM
    Did you turn HDMi Audio Off when using the headphone jack?
    03-17-12 05:44 PM
    After doing some more searching I am pretty sure you are right about needing a powered adapter. Not a big deal. I just like to keep everything as simple as possible.

In your experience saudadeii, would the sound signal be cleaner and clearer coming from a powered source instead of the headphone output?

--------------
    As a note to anyone else reading this. The Torch 9850 and PB is a pretty awesome combination for bridging and with my dataplan, I always have internet access and not dependent of WIFI access. For me all the essential apps are available and work very good.
    03-17-12 05:45 PM
    Hmmmmm, not sure about the HDMI Audio Off. Will check and see how it affects sound quality.

Thanks TheScionicMan
    03-17-12 05:47 PM
    Is there an adapter that I could split off the sound from the HDMI cable before it goes into my projector?

What about this cable : HDMI to VGA / 3 RCA Cable, 5FT
    saudadeii likes this.
    03-17-12 06:11 PM
    What about this cable : HDMI to VGA / 3 RCA Cable, 5FT
    Well then! I could be wrong about "non-powered".
    03-17-12 06:16 PM
    In your experience saudadeii, would the sound signal be cleaner and clearer coming from a powered source instead of the headphone output?
    Admittedly, I have none. I did connect my PB to an old flat panel (non-HD) display with the VGA adapter I have that has built in speakers with an Audio *in* port. It sounded OK but had to "balance" the volumes so I could control it with the display remote. It didn't hum but the sound did distort at high PB volume settings.

I'll try hooking it to my LG TV via HDMI (with Audio off) and my PB to my Sony amp using the headphone jack (3.5 audio to RCA) and see how it works. Normally the sound comes over HDMI directly through the LG speakers.
    03-17-12 06:27 PM
    Is your playbook plugged in when you're using it this way? If it is, try running it on battery power only to see if the hum goes away.
    03-17-12 08:45 PM
    Well then! I could be wrong about "non-powered".
    You're not wrong. The $8 adapter cable linked above is not a converter.

These sorts of adapter cables are only suitable for specific equipment that provide the alternative output signals. Such cross-interface adapter cables are a continuing source of confusion for those that don't understand technology. But at least *your* instincts are correct.
    03-17-12 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD