I'm getting used to my newish to me Nexus 7 2013. On balance, I guess if BB never updates its PB product then the Nexus 7 2013 is a logical upgrade.

Still, there are some things the PB still does better. First, the PB handles better. That rubber rim around the screen makes the PB so easy to carry and hold. Also, the PB screen is slightly larger in area than the Nexus -- even though both are called "7 inches." The Nexus is under 7 inches.

The much maligned power button on the PB and the volume controls are actually wonderful. The real power on for the PB is the swipe. With the Nexus, I never know where the volume and power buttons are because they are nearly flush and their location is off to the side. (They are also black like the case.)

The plastic case on the Nexus is too slippery and it tapers. It's so light that I should like holding it better than the PB. It's more a draw. The Nexus is really, really light but there is no rubber perimeter and it tapers at the edge. You need a good grip on it by clasping it at opposite ends (not comfortable) or cradling it in your hands.

The OS is not as intuitive as the PB OS. The swipe up to get to the homescreen is replaced by a button at the bottom. This is just not as good. It's too cumbersome. I often will swipe up hoping that I will get back to the home screen -- but its not like the PB. I have to search for the little icon.

The PB email app is way better than the native app on the Nexus. I'm not really happy with the email interface so far. It's usable, but not that intuitive.

The Nexus 7 2013 touchscreen is not as precise. It is laggy and less predictable than the PB. This is widely reported.

Also, the PB's native keyboard is better. The Android keyboard puts the best word choice in the center instead of on the left. This makes using the suggestion harder since you have to move your typing digit further to the center of the screen. Sounds like a small thing, but its not if you type any amount.

On the positive for the Nexus, the screen is a real killer on the Nexus. It is the highest res screen its size. It's a dazzler. Despite slightly lesser real estate than the PB, it might be better for work since text can render smaller. Also, the Nexus just runs fast. It feels like a brand new, out of the box computer. Applications like Google maps are snappy and really impressive in detail. (Not sure if my GPS works, unlike my PB whose GPS functions have been a mystery to me and never worked.)

On having access to all the Android Apps -- I did not try porting any apps on the PB. So far, I have not enjoyed any apps I couldn't get on the PB. I'm in front of PCs so often that I don't really need to rely on banking apps, etc.

Conclusion: if you are enjoying your PB, doing a reinstall to refresh it might be a better idea than buying a Nexus 7 2013. The N7 2013 might be better at some things, but it gives up ground in other areas. If the $225 or so outlay is not much for you, you will have some uses for this even if you still like to carry your PB sometimes.
    bambinoitaliano and Fr3lncr like this.
    10-20-13 11:38 PM
    I have the last year's Nexus 7. Agree that the Nexus email app situation is not as good as the PB. Have tried a couple of other email apps from Google Play app store but so far haven't found one I really like. Use Nova launcher and Perfect Keyboard. There are several keyboards available. Still like the PB though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    playbookpa likes this.
    10-21-13 12:58 AM
    Hi,
    I love my 2nd PB , i sold my first PB last June (credit crunch) but couldnt resist anymore so when and got a new 32gb PB for 100USD.It just feels so much better in the hands , the screen is very vibrant and the swipe gestures are so intutive. Since i have no experience with any other tab other than just playing around on the samsung tab when ever my friend visits me , I would like to know how its battery life is compared to the nexus 7 2012 and 2013.
    My understanding is though the PB has a bigger battery (5400mAH ,I hope i am correct) it doesn't last as long as well as the other two (running basic apps)

Regards,
    Gautham (Z10 ,PB curve 9320)
    10-21-13 02:46 AM
    Thanks Divakar. I left off battery life. I have been having battery issues with the Nexus. I was streaming media a few hours and toasted a fully charged battery. It's not awful, just not as good. With the PB I charge once and don't think about for the rest of the day. I have been keeping the Nexus plugged in all the time.
    10-21-13 03:15 AM
    Thanks for the review. Base on that, I'm not touching the Nexus. I would not call it an update base on your description. I rather spend a bit more to get something more than what pb can do not less. For all the complain I read in this forum, pb still hold it's own despite being reminded often enough of a two year old device.
    10-21-13 08:18 AM
    My experience with battery life on the Nexus 7 (2012) is that it is not as good as the PB. The N7(2012) has a battery rated at 4325 milliamp-hrs but in most use except for off-line reading it uses at least 900 milliamps. Video streaming is probably higher. Also the USB charger will only charge at about 0.9 amp so that even operating with the charger plugged in the battery voltage may decrease. Dont believe the situation is improved with the Nexus 7(2013) which I think has a 4000 mah battery.

Miss the PB 12 volt magnetic charger and Battery Guru although I use Battery Doctor and Battery Graph on the N7.

I have a 64 GB PB I got in January of 2012 which is still running great and also a 32 GB PB which is still in factory packaging in reserve. But I often use the N7 to look at the Crackberry site because the Android version of the forum is easier to use, even on the PB, and post pictures from and doesn't have all those ads to render.

10-21-13 10:59 AM
    I am getting more and more annoyed with the touchscreen on the nexus. I can't tell if it's software or hardware, but it's not as responsive. There is a fraction of a second lag at best. Pinch and zoom is more unpredictable.

The screen and processor speed are impressive still.
    10-21-13 11:27 AM
    I have the new nexus 7 coming today. Had the first generation but didn't like it as I preferred both my playbook despite its limitations. Also, the n7 was a letdown as it preformed worse than my nexus 4.

Anyhow, thought I would try the new version but in reality I don't know if I will keep it as for the amount of time I use a tablet, the playbook will still sit my needs.

I guess I am not just a big tablet user as I would prefer just to use my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    10-21-13 11:44 AM
    I am getting more and more annoyed with the touchscreen on the nexus. I can't tell if it's software or hardware, but it's not as responsive. There is a fraction of a second lag at best. Pinch and zoom is more unpredictable.

The screen and processor speed are impressive still.
    I still think they need to work on Project Butter...
    10-21-13 12:29 PM
    I'm getting used to my newish to me Nexus 7 2013. On balance, I guess if BB never updates its PB product then the Nexus 7 2013 is a logical upgrade.

Still, there are some things the PB still does better. First, the PB handles better. That rubber rim around the screen makes the PB so easy to carry and hold. Also, the PB screen is slightly larger in area than the Nexus -- even though both are called "7 inches." The Nexus is under 7 inches.

The much maligned power button on the PB and the volume controls are actually wonderful. The real power on for the PB is the swipe. With the Nexus, I never know where the volume and power buttons are because they are nearly flush and their location is off to the side. (They are also black like the case.)

The plastic case on the Nexus is too slippery and it tapers. It's so light that I should like holding it better than the PB. It's more a draw. The Nexus is really, really light but there is no rubber perimeter and it tapers at the edge. You need a good grip on it by clasping it at opposite ends (not comfortable) or cradling it in your hands.

The OS is not as intuitive as the PB OS. The swipe up to get to the homescreen is replaced by a button at the bottom. This is just not as good. It's too cumbersome. I often will swipe up hoping that I will get back to the home screen -- but its not like the PB. I have to search for the little icon.

The PB email app is way better than the native app on the Nexus. I'm not really happy with the email interface so far. It's usable, but not that intuitive.

The Nexus 7 2013 touchscreen is not as precise. It is laggy and less predictable than the PB. This is widely reported.

Also, the PB's native keyboard is better. The Android keyboard puts the best word choice in the center instead of on the left. This makes using the suggestion harder since you have to move your typing digit further to the center of the screen. Sounds like a small thing, but its not if you type any amount.

On the positive for the Nexus, the screen is a real killer on the Nexus. It is the highest res screen its size. It's a dazzler. Despite slightly lesser real estate than the PB, it might be better for work since text can render smaller. Also, the Nexus just runs fast. It feels like a brand new, out of the box computer. Applications like Google maps are snappy and really impressive in detail. (Not sure if my GPS works, unlike my PB whose GPS functions have been a mystery to me and never worked.)

On having access to all the Android Apps -- I did not try porting any apps on the PB. So far, I have not enjoyed any apps I couldn't get on the PB. I'm in front of PCs so often that I don't really need to rely on banking apps, etc.

Conclusion: if you are enjoying your PB, doing a reinstall to refresh it might be a better idea than buying a Nexus 7 2013. The N7 2013 might be better at some things, but it gives up ground in other areas. If the $225 or so outlay is not much for you, you will have some uses for this even if you still like to carry your PB sometimes.
    Thorsten did you write this?
    10-21-13 12:45 PM
    Has anyone tried SwiftKey (using the swipe-typing Flow option) on the Nexus 7? I love it on my android phone, just not sure what it'd be like on a tablet screen.

As for email apps, how about K-9?
    10-21-13 01:25 PM
    Has anyone tried SwiftKey (using the swipe-typing Flow option) on the Nexus 7? I love it on my android phone, just not sure what it'd be like on a tablet screen.

As for email apps, how about K-9?
    On Google App world you can try SwiftKey free for one month. After that $3.99. And there is a tablet version.

10-21-13 03:14 PM
    No, Thorsten is looking over my shoulder telling me that in a few years I won't care because no one will be using tablets, including myself.
    10-21-13 06:54 PM
    Dang Nexus 7 2013 with its creaky bevel just ticks me off. I should have got it an iPad Mini and be creak-free...
    10-21-13 10:03 PM