As far as GPS with PB as it pertains to the vast potential.....

RIM did acquire Dash navigation...As far as in vehicle navigation is concerned I imagine we'll have a service very similar to that of a TomTom....

From my understanding...The GPS in PB can function independently from cellular/wifi connection....

I've tried to research Dash Navigation's portfolio , however there is very limited resources as far as public info currently available...

BWC begins on tuesday with much info coming forward tomorrow as far as future platform plans are concerned...

Hopefully GPS matters are explored...and especially in vehicle navigation...as this will add a value to PB that is very, very welcomed on the consumer front...

This value alone..makes spending 500$ plus for PB much more attractive to the consumer in general!

Does anyone have any insight into this matter?

QNX is a leading automotive software platform...This is an offering that must be brought forward very soon!
    05-01-11 04:19 PM
    This is an offering that must be brought forward very soon!
    That's the issue. RIM knew the Playbook would be out for 7 months before launch, plenty of time to get this app developed and ready at launch. However we are talking about RIM here and they don't seem to do anything fast. They need to get TAT and these other App acquisitions churning out high quality playbook apps ASAP.
    05-01-11 04:48 PM
    from my experience with the gps so far i don't think it's usable for precise navigation, it's off and erratic.

I find bing maps unusable (re-setting zoom levels on "find me" is a pia), o2interactive's magellan compass works better (except no pinch to zoom) and isn't trying to force ads through but the gps bounces around a lot. In comparison google maps on the bb seems much more accurate and usable for navigation.

Hopefully the gps is just a software fix but in Manhattan it is off by a lot more than my Garmin or Google by a few hundred feet. The few times it has been working it usually has me about a block away from where i am.
    05-01-11 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD