Hi everyone,

In regards to either USB Host or USB on-the-go.....and to what degree of which we will possess in the future

I'm getting pretty pumped about the 2.0 release and future software support and upgrades.

Many PB owners are pretty pumped about USB host functions. I stumbled across the QNX career posting's ans noticed that RIM/QNX were seeking candidate/'s for USB Development.

Thought I'd post some links to spark come curiosity as to whats coming....It is already common knowledge amongst " them in the know", that USB hosting and/or USB on-the-go is on the roadmap for the PB

(url)Current Job Openings)

Has anyone had any hands on with 2.0 in a prerelease state? If so what are your thoughts and impressions.

I personaly feel this will be a great year that we reap an abundance of software fruit of the PB and future QNX berrie's
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-05-12 at 11:36 AM.
    soxypirate likes this.
    01-05-12 11:00 AM
    Is this full USB host or USB on-the-go?
    01-05-12 11:26 AM
    It's definitely coming it was even demo-d at Devcon

01-05-12 11:35 AM
    some accessories and add-ons would be great! , like maybe a game controller via usb
    01-05-12 12:43 PM
    Is this full USB host or USB on-the-go?
    What distinction are you drawing between the two?

Here's the first sentence on the wikipedia page on the topic: "USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated USB OTG, is a specification that allows USB devices such as digital audio players or mobile phones to act as a host allowing a USB flash drive, mouse, or keyboard to be attached."

What does "full USB host" mean to you, aside from that?
    01-05-12 01:18 PM
    Through the link I note the posting date is nearly 4 weeks ago. I hope the developers at RIM are already hard at work on this function as it seems unlikely that an opening at this late date could significantly impact what OS 2 already contains

cheers
    01-05-12 06:05 PM
    What distinction are you drawing between the two?

Here's the first sentence on the wikipedia page on the topic: "USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated USB OTG, is a specification that allows USB devices such as digital audio players or mobile phones to act as a host allowing a USB flash drive, mouse, or keyboard to be attached."

What does "full USB host" mean to you, aside from that?
    OTG is not the full implementation. It only supports some usb devices.
    01-06-12 02:36 PM
    that usb demo was "amazing" but with the accent & jargon, I couldn't really understand what he was saying. Does he imply somewhere that support for usb devices plugged directly into the playbook will be included in OS2.0?
    01-06-12 02:49 PM
    It will be great if OS2 gives us a non-crippled USB. Alas, it probably won't be able to bring us the missing SD slot...
    01-06-12 03:00 PM
    The unit on the back siude of the playbook in the video was connected via usb so yeah that's what it's showing ability of..
    01-06-12 03:03 PM
    It will be great if OS2 gives us a non-crippled USB. Alas, it probably won't be able to bring us the missing SD slot...

Reading an SD card is a most basic usb function so quite likely it'll work..

USB printers, scanners etc .. well I doubt that'll happen as most new devices are host based for the processing via software and drivers.. (development nightmare, Think when Vista was first released and the driver headaches)
    01-06-12 03:05 PM
    That's what a dremel tool is for. It would be nice to hook up a camera to move photos while on a trip - both for viewing and storage.
    01-06-12 04:24 PM
    Dremel tool? I'm envisioning something more like this:

Kingston MobileLiteG2 Card reader ( external ) - Hi-Speed USB - SD Memory Card, Memory Stick PRO Duo, microSD, SDHC Memory Card, Memory Stick Micro (M2), microSDHC, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo - Mac, PC

OR SMALLER! If you only use micro SD cards. This one apparently also handles the larger ones that you might have in your camera.
    I cant wait to be able to pull the card out of my camera and view the pics on my beautiful bright clear crisp portable playbook display!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-06-12 at 04:36 PM.
    01-06-12 04:34 PM
    OTG is not the full implementation. It only supports some usb devices.
    Can you describe some of the types of devices you think aren't covered by the term OTG? I think we'll be able to answer your question by noting that at least one of those will be supported, proving it's capable of being a "full" implementation...

(Note, however, that RIM would still have to provide drivers for various things themselves, as I think it's unlikely in anything but the very long term that third-party developers will be able to write their own low-level drivers for this, unless they've got a rooted device.
    01-06-12 04:36 PM
    that usb demo was "amazing" but with the accent & jargon, I couldn't really understand what he was saying. Does he imply somewhere that support for usb devices plugged directly into the playbook will be included in OS2.0?
    That's what I got out of it - or else why bring TAT along to devcon to show this?
    If anything, it proves that playbook is capable. I think it was somewhat of a tease.."stay tuned" kind of thing.
    01-06-12 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD