Today I was trying to help a couple of people at church with some Bible apps they were using on their tablets. Both were Android tablets. We have two iPads at home, besides my wife's and I PBs, that I've got quite a bit of time on. All of this got me thinking today about a realization I've come to.

Now, this is not an android or iOS bash, truly, but an honest operational observation and curious if other members that have experience on other tablets have come to the same conclusion. That being, after much time on the other tablets, that the UI of those tablets feels very primitive and non-intuitive compared to QNX. I constantly find myself trying to swipe everytime I'm on another tablet. And it's not because I'm used to the PB, as I started out on iPads and a Galaxy Tab, but because it just feels RIGHT, like this is how it SHOULD be. My wife has had her PB for a month now and feels the same way, that this is how you should interface with a touchscreen tablet. It's the logical and intuitive method. That's why I left out WebOS, because it too is very elegant in interface and similar to the PB. And yes, I've heard the stories about WebOs and QNX, it's not the point here. And it's also the most common response I see when exposing someone to the PB for the first time, "Hey, this is cool, I like this gesture navigation, no real or virtual buttons".

What are the views of you that have time on other tablets? The same or different?
    01-22-12 04:35 PM
    I feel the same way. I've used many tablets and owned a iPad2 as well as a Playbook. I've never used a webOS product so I can't comment there. I really feel this way when I'm using android tablets where the interface seems so clunky and I have to think about every move. iOS at least has that home button which makes things easier but still not as intuitive as the QNX gestures. It may just be that I'm used to the QNX stuff but still, it seems so much more intuitive to swipe rather than push something on a tablet.
    01-22-12 04:49 PM
    Apples ios5 has four/five finger swipes that work like the side to side bezel gestures in qnx as well as a pinch to minimize. These are a nice add that many ipad2 owners don't even know are there. As of today, I agree with your assessment while remaining optimistic that RIM will continue to build on this win.
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 01-22-12 at 06:22 PM.
    01-22-12 04:54 PM
    I feel the same way. I've used many tablets and owned a iPad2 as well as a Playbook. I've never used a webOS product so I can't comment there. I really feel this way when I'm using android tablets where the interface seems so clunky and I have to think about every move. iOS at least has that home button which makes things easier but still not as intuitive as the QNX gestures. It may just be that I'm used to the QNX stuff but still, it seems so much more intuitive to swipe rather than push something on a tablet.
    I hate the home button. I guess it makes it stupid-easy to get back "home" But I totally agree, it's not as intuitive as the QNX gestures. It is really disruptive to the flow of working on the device swapping back and forth between apps. Everything else is touch based, and it is a shift to go down and push the button. Plus, the button moves when you rotate it to different orientations. The gestures always stay the same
    farskija likes this.
    01-22-12 06:06 PM
    Yes, the Playbook's UI is just awesome and I agree it is as close as we can get to a desktop OS experience as far as multitasking goes. It is possible that iOS and Android users are also happy about their devices. So it must be a personal preference question
    01-22-12 06:21 PM
    Yes, the Playbook's UI is just awesome and I agree it is as close as we can get to a desktop OS experience as far as multitasking goes. It is possible that iOS and Android users are also happy about their devices. So it must be a personal preference question
    I agree that each OS has options that the users love (or grow to love). I also feel that Apple new a good idea when they saw one and included QNX style gestures in their ios5. This is something I hope the critics give RIM proper due for.
    01-22-12 06:32 PM
    Apples ios5 has four/five finger swipes that work like the side to side bezel gestures in qnx as well as a pinch to minimize. These are a nice add that many ipad2 owners don't even know are there. As of today, I agree with your assessment while remaining optimistic that RIM will continue to build on this win.
    I agree, but a four/five finger swipe still feels like a compromise and is definitely not intuitive. But, better than iOS4.
    tharrison4815 likes this.
    01-22-12 08:50 PM
    I just looked up a video of iOS5's implementation of the 4/5 finger gestures. They look very awkward/clunky to use. I have to agree with the OP, QNX has a very understated and sophisticated elegance just like the hardware itself. With the playbook being my first tablet the gestures were very intuitive and easy to learn and use. Because of that, I think it's very easy to overlook/take them for granted, which is quite unfortunate.
    01-22-12 09:23 PM
    I know, it's a shame. When people actually experience the PB, they see what a great device it is. The majority that I've shown anyway. I don't expect everyone to like it, but even detractors recognize superior aspects of it.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-23-12 12:56 AM
    I was just at a conference last week and was surrounded by ipads. One guy asked me what tablet I had. When I showed it to him it was the gestures that wowed him.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-23-12 09:22 PM
    Apples ios5 has four/five finger swipes that work like the side to side bezel gestures in qnx as well as a pinch to minimize. These are a nice add that many ipad2 owners don't even know are there.
    I've disabled them on my iPad because I found they caused issues in far too many apps. For a company that prides itself on great interfaces I think Apple screwed that one up bad. There's plenty of apps where you need/want to touch with 4/5 fingers, and now they're all broken. The second you put 4 fingers on the screen the app is frozen.

Fundamentally there needs to be something outside the app to access the system, otherwise there's far too many possibilities for interference. The multitasking gestures feel to me like a lame attempt to imitate the PlayBook.
    rotorwrench and Toodeurep like this.
    01-23-12 11:32 PM
    I agree too, I absolutely love it. I've said to all my friends that it feels like an os made for tablets (hoping it translates well to phone), where the others feel OK on phones but feel quite clunky on a tablet.. The one nice feature I'd love is reorder of the program tiles. Press long on program tile would allow me to change order. If we had that it would be close to perfect ui navigation.

There must be something tricky about that, as you would think it would have been done already (been checking with each beta)
    01-24-12 12:59 AM

not all of them. Ran across this in one of my threads in an android forum (I own an android phone):

So you're looking for Android 4.0? Its not yet even stable. Nexus owners have been complaining of terrible battery life, unstable WiFi connections, etc. There are problems across the board. Of course LG, Samsung and other OEMs are working on the updates, but so far in the timespan you have mentioned, there haven't been any significant updates for anyone to even care about apart from the currently not stable yet 4.0... (which leaks of the alpha versions from some manufacturers have already been seen, proving that they are working on making it stable for their devices).
    As far as phones are concerned, I'm going to be watching the upcoming BB10 very closely. I'm currently not overly satisfied with the quality or polish of the Android OS on my phone, I dislike everything about Apple's Stalinistic approach to allowing options for their customers, and I don't like BB7.x simply because I use my phone for apps and web surfing more than any other activity. Not to mention, Android phone apps that aren't available on a BB have allowed me to do quite a few things I wouldn't have otherwise been able to. I'm hoping BB10 offers both of these things: A more solid and stable and innovative OS than Android, and access to Android apps.
    01-24-12 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD