I had this issue over the weekend. And although im still not fully in the clear yet, RIM support (very friendly and helpful people BTW), walked me thru a few things to try out.

As it turns out, the PB has a failsafe to protect the battery from overcharging. Im assuming the problem is cause by this. I started by the usual reset (vol +, vol - and power buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds). Did not work. I was then told to do a "stack Charge". A stack charge is charging the PB for 2 minutes at a time using the wall charger. Plug it in, let it charge for 2 minutes, unplug for a few seconds, then re-plug for another 2 minutes. Do this about 10 times then let it charge fully for 4-6 hours without turning your PB on or off. THis did not work for me (but has worked for others).

RIM support then told me to reload the OS (the de-brick method). To do this, turn off your PB, open DM on your PC, plug the PB to the PC. a window will pop up on your PC saying it wont connect. theres 3 buttons on the window. click "update" and let it do its thing. when going through the initial set up(like when you first get your PB). Now one issue that was mentioned about this here on CB was that after you go thru the set up, the PB will need to use the RIM update server via wifi but will need a minimum of 20% battery to do. This is when in my case, the stack charge worked. But im currently having a small residual issue im trying to get fixed now. But progress was made. So before you call RIM for a new one, try these steps first:

1) reset your PB (vol +, vol - and power bottuns at the same time)
    2) Stack charge
    3) Reload OS.

These are the 3 things RIM said to try. I hope this helps.
    03-25-12 03:15 PM
    Thanks for the info, I'm sure it will come in handy for future reference
    03-25-12 03:26 PM
    It would be interesting to know what the battery voltage is, when a PlayBook is "stuck" showing 0%.

If the battery were actually fully charged, but it was just not displaying it correctly, then it could actually be damaging to continue attempting to charge it.

On the PlayBooks, "fully charged" would correspond with a voltage around 4.2V. Anyone suffering from this issue ever checked what Battery Guru reports for the voltage at that point?
    03-25-12 04:07 PM
    It would be interesting to know what the battery voltage is, when a PlayBook is "stuck" showing 0%.

If the battery were actually fully charged, but it was just not displaying it correctly, then it could actually be damaging to continue attempting to charge it.

On the PlayBooks, "fully charged" would correspond with a voltage around 4.2V. Anyone suffering from this issue ever checked what Battery Guru reports for the voltage at that point?
    I had tested this out friday. I left it charging and on my way home from work, used it as normal and for 30 mins, it did. once it ran out of juice, it started all over again. right now, its still showing 0% after restarting the PB after all the support tryin to fix it.

I can definately say its not just the icon wont update. Leave it unplugged for a few minutes and it shuts itself off. When it does come back on, i get the audio "battery low" warning. And when trying to update yesterday, it wouldnt until the battery was at 20%. ill be calling support in about 30 minutes.
    Last edited by 9of13; 03-25-12 at 04:32 PM.
    03-25-12 04:11 PM
    1) reset your PB (vol +, vol - and power bottuns at the same time)
    Great info. Just wanted to point out that all you need to hit for a cold reset is Power and Vol+ -- the Vol- button is unnecessary, and not only is it far more difficult to hit all three buttons at once, but skipping the Vol- button also means you won't fire off a bunch of screen shots while trying to press the pesky subsurface power button.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-25-12 at 09:58 PM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-25-12 05:24 PM
    Thanks for looking out for us and sharing the info. I appreciate it.
    03-25-12 06:24 PM
    I can definately say its not just the icon wont update. Leave it unplugged for a few minutes and it shuts itself off. When it does come back on, i get the audio "battery low" warning. And when trying to update yesterday, it wouldnt until the battery was at 20%. ill be calling support in about 30 minutes.
    RIM may be able and willing to confirm this (though I really don't think the tech support people are trained in this much detail on battery issues), but I believe the auto-shutoff is tied exclusively to battery voltage, while the update restriction is enforced only based on the percentage level.

When battery voltage gets to 3.4V (probably for 2-3 consecutive readings, which are at two minute intervals), it will shut off to protect the battery. This will occur even on those units which are mistakenly showing values like 13% even when they're fully drained. It definitely sounds like that's what you're seeing, so I agree with your conclusion that it's a real issue.
    03-25-12 06:36 PM
    I called support again. After sending them pics of my pb plugged in and reviewing my issue, I got approved to send my pb back for repair or replacement. In a few days, it will be on its way. I plugged it in when I got home and as we speak its up to 84% and steadily rising. I don't know why it's frakin with me right now but I hope it knows it's taking a road trip and coming back secure and working with no issue.
    From what I've gathered reading here on CB, and the BB support forums, it's not a common issue but not isolated. The steps above should help most and may need a few attempt it seems for your PB to stabilize, but if all that fails, don't hesitate to call RIM support. Just got a PB? Register for the free 90 day tech support. They're great. No lie. I'm a New Yorker. We don't like going thru b.s. This was the opposite.
    03-25-12 10:38 PM
    didnt worked with me. stuck at 0% after update the OS.
    now the playbook is waiting for 20% to continue install the OS, and the OS doesnt charge untill full installed?
    12-13-12 07:13 PM
    With the number of people recently having this problem, I'm wondering if it might be an issue with the .1088 OS. I don't think I had a problem with charging prior to the update.
    12-13-12 08:25 PM
    Solved. It was sying 0% i turned off pressing the power 2seconds untill appears the shutdown menu. Then he charged turned off. Its ok now.

The pb died before the 1088. And when i tried to remover i installed the 1088 and gota the charging issue at 0%.
    12-14-12 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD