Increasingly often I experience situations in which I tell the PB to shut down, which it does, but the screen seems to still be active (a light "glowing" effect). Pressing the power button additionally helps most of the times, but I was wondering what could be causing this and if there is some kind of (preferably easy) solution?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-13-13 06:46 AM
    Increasingly often I experience situations in which I tell the PB to shut down, which it does, but the screen seems to still be active (a light "glowing" effect). Pressing the power button additionally helps most of the times, but I was wondering what could be causing this and if there is some kind of (preferably easy) solution?
    As the unit powers down this is quite normal, a faint glow from the screen, but it should disappear after a couple of minutes or so. On my own PB there have been occasions where the screen has continued to glow hours after powering down. The only way of resolving this is to push and hold the power button and force a reboot. Sometimes it may take more than one attempt for it to work. Someone once suggested to just let the power drain completely and then charge back up but I'm wary of trying this method. In the 2.5 years I've had my PB this has happened twice and I've successfully, if not frustratingly, fixed the issue and it hasn't happened again in the last year or so.
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    07-13-13 07:48 AM
    I have experienced the same problem after couple of the updates, not sure what causes it but I have the same PB since release day in 2011 and so far has not seem to be a major problem.
    What I have been doing that seems to help is to shut it down without the power cord plugged in or instead of completely shutting it down when I want to do a refresh just do a restart. I have also noticed on occasion when restarting with the power connected I get multi colored lines down the screen until it runs a few minutes. That glow use to bug me at night in a dark room like someone's in there watching :-). Not sure if you do this but try shutdown without the power and once completely off the glow may be gone.

Hirazi Blue likes this.
    07-13-13 07:58 AM
    What I have been doing that seems to help is to shut it down without the power cord plugged in
    That's an interesting suggestion. Must check if that could be it (my PB is plugged in more often than not).
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-13-13 08:02 AM
    That's an interesting suggestion. Must check if that could be it (my PB is plugged in more often than not).
    Don't bother, I always shutdown with my charger connected and get the same result! It's a pain but I've found that I get rid of it by closing my pb down, leaving it for a good ten minutes and then plugging the charger cable back in. It works but as my pb still charges perfectly with the feint backlight still on I don't bother doing it these days. I just leave it to get on with it?
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    07-13-13 09:21 AM
    you forgot to unplug the power chord. thats why and something is on top of remote control. hehehehe! ;-)
    jokes apart. are your sure your lcd crystals are not leaking? or some crack! or something?
    because battery is always connected. so short or leak is possible.
    thanks!
    -paul
    sad_old_man and Hirazi Blue like this.
    07-13-13 09:46 AM
    are your sure your lcd crystals are not leaking? or some crack! or something?
    Is there any way to test this without many tools? On visual inspection the PB looks fine (but looks can be deceiving, of course )
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-13-13 09:57 AM
    Is there any way to test this without many tools? On visual inspection the PB looks fine (but looks can be deceiving, of course )
    you find something greazy woozing out? then its a leak. yes your lcd leaked and pants are wet. which is somehoe building a circuit. can you open and check?
    thanks!
    -paul
    sad_old_man and Hirazi Blue like this.
    07-13-13 10:07 AM
    No, then it's not leaking!
    I thought you meant some internal leak...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-13-13 10:11 AM
    yes internal leak. can you open up the playbook and check if the screen is leaking some liquid.
    if no i think there is a leak in the electordes. the electrodes are leaking current. some metal piece or dust. sometime dust and moisture plays a major role in forming dirt-bunnies which conduct electricity. and its bad news. because soon it will rape other components and oxidise everything.
    thanks!
    -paul
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-13-13 10:15 AM
    my guess was right LCD TV - Problem with white glow seeping in from edges [Archive] - MyBroadband
    your lcd is leaking..... is it still under warranty?
    then replace it. else you are in deep deep trouble.
    thanks!
    -paul
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-13-13 10:58 AM
    my guess was right LCD TV - Problem with white glow seeping in from edges [Archive] - MyBroadband
    your lcd is leaking..... is it still under warranty?
    then replace it. else you are in deep deep trouble.
    thanks!
    -paul
    The OP doesn't appear to be talking about screen bleed, which is what you're referring to here, but rather the whole screen slightly glowing after power turn off and not turning off completely, draining the battery. Screen bleed is where soft white light is visible around the edges of the screen, normally in smaller blotches. Most screen bleed is harmless and won't interfere with viewing but it can become intrusive enough to be an annoyance.
    Gran PC and Hirazi Blue like this.
    07-13-13 01:11 PM
    The OP doesn't appear to be talking about screen bleed, which is what you're referring to here, but rather the whole screen slightly glowing after power turn off and not turning off completely, draining the battery. Screen bleed is where soft white light is visible around the edges of the screen, normally in smaller blotches. Most screen bleed is harmless and won't interfere with viewing but it can become intrusive enough to be an annoyance.
    these tiny pores later turn out to be manholes.
    thats why advance precautions. thats about it. nothing else mate!
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-13-13 01:14 PM
    these tiny pores later turn out to be manholes.
    thats why advance precautions. thats about it. nothing else mate!
    thanks!
    -paul
    And that might well be the case in some instances, but that is not what the OP is reporting here. Just trying to clarify.
    07-13-13 01:29 PM
    And that might well be the case in some instances, but that is not what the OP is reporting here. Just trying to clarify.
    cool! no issues.
    i didnt sleep for 2 nights. and now i am off to sleep.
    good night!
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-13-13 01:30 PM
    cool! no issues.
    i didnt sleep for 2 nights. and now i am off to sleep.
    good night!
    thanks!
    -paul
    I empathise! I'm going through a prolonged bout of insomnia myself, quite prone to it I'm afraid.

Hope you sleep the heck out of the rest of the day!!
    07-13-13 01:39 PM
    Ouch!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 01:42 PM
    Were any browsers or apps or games on while you shut down? I have situation where I can't put the playbook on stand by until I close the FastBrowser.
    07-13-13 05:55 PM
    Backlight will always stay on if plugged in and turned on. That started happening after one of the updates. Because of the backlight and slow boot time I just leave mine on all the time.
    07-13-13 08:16 PM
    Were any browsers or apps or games on while you shut down? I have situation where I can't put the playbook on stand by until I close the FastBrowser.
    Nope, force of habit makes me kill any "visible" apps before shutdown. I even disconnect the Wifi signal...
    07-14-13 03:58 AM
    Nope, force of habit makes me kill any "visible" apps before shutdown. I even disconnect the Wifi signal...
    cant you open it and inspect?
    it will wash away all confusion.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-14-13 04:05 AM
    Nope. The problem seems to have been diagnosed, even if the ultimate solution may not have been found and I am not opening the PB if and when it isn't absolutely necessary.
    07-14-13 04:58 AM
    Nope. The problem seems to have been diagnosed, even if the ultimate solution may not have been found and I am not opening the PB if and when it isn't absolutely necessary.
    aah i get it! something like this --> PB screen stays on even after shutting the PB down-emergency-seal.jpg or is it like this --> PB screen stays on even after shutting the PB down-real-emergency.jpg
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-14-13 05:29 AM
    As with most of us, still on after being shut down! My wife has never understood how to fix this problem!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-14-13 10:17 AM
    As with most of us, still on after being shut down! My wife has never understood how to fix this problem!
    Brandy!

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 10:49 AM