Hi everybody! I just joined and this is my first thread and I really need help with repairing my playbook. I dropped it and the screen cracked really badly and it's not even usable. I've found a lot of tutorials about how to take it apart, but none of them show how to actually replace the screen. Could someone please tell me some tips on how to remove the screen and what to watch out for? Pictures would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your help guys.
    jbhq likes this.
    10-10-13 03:41 PM
    Look for Blackberry Playbook teardown on the web. One such reference is from iFixit. So you take it apart and put the new screen (or salvaged screen from PB dead for other reasons) in reassembling very carefully.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Black...eardown/5265/1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-10-13 03:50 PM
    I've looked over that teardown several times before. To my knowledge the screen is glued to a metal frame, but they don't show how to remove that and thanks for the reply! It really makes me happy that you guys don't mind helping me out.
    10-10-13 03:54 PM
    I've looked over that teardown several times before. To my knowledge the screen is glued to a metal frame, but they don't show how to remove that and thanks for the reply! It really makes me happy that you guys don't mind helping me out.
    Believe you use a heat gun (hair dryer). Doesn't say it is hard to do.
    10-10-13 04:35 PM
    gophermods.com can also repair it. They did an awesome job on mine when the screen went out.
    10-10-13 07:44 PM
    gophermods.com can also repair it. They did an awesome job on mine when the screen went out.
    tbh I'd rather do the work myself since its a lot cheaper.
    10-10-13 08:17 PM
    Believe you use a heat gun (hair dryer). Doesn't say it is hard to do.
    What about the bezel??
    10-10-13 08:18 PM
    What about the bezel??
    The heat gun would have been used to loosen the glass for removal so the frame could have been recovered. I looks like this will not be necessary because you get a replacement which includes the frame. Below is another reference which offers the replacement for about $40 and includes a tear down video which looks good to me. EBay has repair part offers for about $20.

Perhaps someone who has actually done this will chime in and help you.
    10-10-13 10:47 PM
    There's a thread or two on self-repair. I know a suggestion was to buy the entire assembly to avoid dealing with the gluey bezel/glass. They are older threads.
    10-11-13 12:13 AM
    Reference on heat gun from an early thread.

rotorwrench

CrackBerry Genius
    Posts1,709 Posts
    06-06-2012,*06:36 PM
    #19**
    Your choice. If you don't mind a little careful and tedious hands on, replace it. I have one I'm about to replace myself. I've done it on phones with no issues and have the PB apart now. Waiting on the digitizer. Separating from the frame isn't too bad. Use a heat gun to loosen the glue but be very careful.

The thread reference is:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...placed-710376/

Agree that better to buy with frame included. Google -- BB Playbook Glass Replacement

You will find many references.
    10-11-13 12:37 AM