Anybody experience the same issue with their PB where the rubber border is sort of lifting. I've attached a pic as me explaining it with words might be hard to understand. if you see the pic the rubber has lifted a bit. I tried putting it back but ended up pushing it in where the speaker is.

Any fix for this? I don't want to peel the entire rubber border but I've done some googling and someone suggested peeling the it all and using permatex gasket maker to make my own "rubber" border.
    02-02-12 10:50 AM
    Sorry to hear that your PB.
    But I have not experienced this. Perhaps you can call the customer support number and see what they can do. RMA? Send you a new replacement PB?
    02-02-12 11:32 AM
    Never seen that before. If rim won't do anything for you maybe a well placed dab of glue will keep it in place. Glue like rubber cement or something that won't harden rubber. Not super glue.
    I would not use gasket maker to try to form a new rubber surround and certainly would not try to peel the rest of out.
    02-02-12 11:40 AM
    yours seems to the first one like this . use a oem convertible case to avoid any further damage. it should be in warranty anyway, try RMA .
    02-02-12 11:46 AM
    Nah, I've never seen that before. If it was to happen to my PlayBook, before experimenting with different type of glues, I would first contact RIM and see what they suggest.
    artie likes this.
    02-02-12 11:49 AM
    How long have you had it?
    Are you still inside of 30 days?
    Can you exchange it?
    02-02-12 11:54 AM
    thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure about the warranty, this was a "hand-me" down that was passed to me by my friend who prefers the iPad. (His loss my gain since I've been a BB user for years and the PB is uber useful to me)

I'm thinking that the rubber border came loose from constant rubbing from the neoprene case (when pulling it out) and if I could make an observation, i think the part where the speaker is might be a weak spot for the rubber and might be a potential spot where it could start to lift.
    Last edited by faceless_el; 02-02-12 at 12:35 PM.
    02-02-12 12:17 PM
    This is not the first time I've seen this. A good couple of months ago someone posted a pic of this happening. Only that instance was a lot worse.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

PS, I don't know why RIM put that rubber there in the first place.
    02-02-12 12:37 PM
    This is not the first time I've seen this. A good couple of months ago someone posted a pic of this happening. Only that instance was a lot worse.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

PS, I don't know why RIM put that rubber there in the first place.
    It has a much higher rate of survival when it falls on it's face.
    02-02-12 12:43 PM
    It's sad that the simple way that you hold the playbook causes this. I am a moderate user and this happened to mine. What a pain in the d1ck RIM was about getting to replace it. It's not s/w, it's hardware that is not replaceable. After about 2 hours on the phone they would either take it in for 'repair' or ship a refurb. I just took the refurb. So far so good. But I have yet to hit the post 30 days as I did with the original.
    02-02-12 12:43 PM
    Never seen that before. If rim won't do anything for you maybe a well placed dab of glue will keep it in place. Glue like rubber cement or something that won't harden rubber. Not super glue.
    I would not use gasket maker to try to form a new rubber surround and certainly would not try to peel the rest of out.
    yeah i don't have any plans on using gasket maker on this baby. I'd say it would just creep in on the speaker holes and do more damage than good.

Mind you, i guess i can live with the rubber border lifting that way. Just didn't want dust to go in. It would be a PITA to have dust under like on the older BB phnes where the dust would just creep in.
    02-02-12 01:04 PM
    I have some very thin transparent double sided tape I bought for a project. Sold on Ebay for iphone repair. This stuff is very strong and cut in a thin strip could be placed between case and rubber.
    02-02-12 01:11 PM
    Yea if your not careful it might end up like mine. I wonder if i should send it in for replacement.
    02-03-12 03:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD