Hi guys,
    My other half has a broken USB port on her 32GB unit. When trying to connect the mains charger, it won't go fully home, so no charge gets in. The battery is, of course, now completely flat so I don't want to keep trying to turn it on to see whether any charge is getting in.

As her PB is now about 18 months old, it's way outside any warranty. Looking inside the port, the plastic tab doesn't seem to be there so it has either been pushed to one side or has broken and fallen out. Are there any UK-based repair companies that people can suggest/recommend? Ta.
    04-17-13 08:24 AM
    I got my daughters ipad repaired by Tech Centre a few months ago (www.techcentre.co.uk) and would recommend. They arranged a courier pick up and it was returned within a week. Website shows they do PlayBook repairs.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 09:31 AM
    Sorry to hear about the problem and Good luck. If you look in the port again, can you see if the connector maybe bent? Some folks have used a toothpick (non-conductive material) to straighten it, although if that flush, it might be gone or break if you flex it further. A rapid charger which connects to those 3 rightmost pins can charge the unit but obviously will not allow usb-communications.

Again, good luck
    04-17-13 09:54 AM
    Thanks for that. The micro USB seems to be an Achilles Heel on this unit. Repairs tend to cost between 55-70 (one quote from Tech Centre, another from Buzz Box in Southend, third expected from Brighton), which is a little hard to swallow. I've subsequently found a desktop charging unit that uses the magnetic charge point, rather than the micro USB. I could get that, as it costs about 25 but I still wouldn't have the file transfer option without the micro USB. Having said that, can I use Bluetooth to transfer files from PC to PB?
    04-17-13 10:20 AM
    I'm not sure about BlueTooth transfers, but WiFi transfers work just fine. Just make sure file sharing and WiFi sharing are on. A windows machine will see the PlayBook as a network drive:

File Share on Your BlackBerry PlayBook Using WiFi - For Dummies
    vangelas likes this.
    04-17-13 10:28 AM
    Thanks for that. The micro USB seems to be an Achilles Heel on this unit. Repairs tend to cost between 55-70 (one quote from Tech Centre, another from Buzz Box in Southend, third expected from Brighton), which is a little hard to swallow. I've subsequently found a desktop charging unit that uses the magnetic charge point, rather than the micro USB. I could get that, as it costs about 25 but I still wouldn't have the file transfer option without the micro USB. Having said that, can I use Bluetooth to transfer files from PC to PB?
    You can use WiFi for file transfers - and you can get a rapid charger, using the 3 pins and the magnetic plug, from Currys at 14.99 I think it is.

It's not so much the USB port is a weak link, as - from what I understand - it was designed / implemented to allow use of an OTG cable, which by consequence, means that the port can be a bit more ambiguous than a normal micro USB port would be - meaning it's much easier for the ham-fisted and / or useless-without-their-readers to force the stock USB charger in inverted.
    04-17-13 10:47 AM
    You may want to try calling BlackBerry support and see if they can fix it. My son's 16gb playbook just came down with a USB port problem. It doesn't seem to be broken, bent, or loose, so I suspect it is something on the circuit board or a bad solder joint. It is over two years old, but BlackBerry has just shipped me a repair box. I don't know if they will fix it for free, but the flate rate shown in the paperwork is $99 for a 16gb. If I get charged for the repair, it will still be cheaper than buying a new one and I suspect they just send a new or refurbished one for that price.
    04-17-13 10:52 AM
    Thanks to all for this. I see a trip to Currys coming on tonight.

You may want to try calling BlackBerry support and see if they can fix it. I don't know if they will fix it for free, but the flate rate shown in the paperwork is $99 for a 16gb. If I get charged for the repair, it will still be cheaper than buying a new one and I suspect they just send a new or refurbished one for that price.
    Thanks Rob but I suspect that will involve international shipping. If I get it repaired, it would have to be a UK-based option. The joy of buying something made outside your home country, I guess.
    04-17-13 11:17 AM

Thanks Rob but I suspect that will involve international shipping. If I get it repaired, it would have to be a UK-based option. The joy of buying something made outside your home country, I guess.
    It does involve international shipping, even for a Canadian. I think they have a couple repair depots. Mine is going to Tennessee in the USA. It is a pretty painless exercise, with BlackBerry shipping a repair box, complete with a return shipping waybill and all the customs paperwork filled out. It is just a matter of putting the PlayBook in the box, signing the customs Paperwork and either calling the courier to pickup or dropping it off at the courier's drop box.

Just from memory and I may be wrong, but I think the service depot for Europe is in Germany.
    04-17-13 11:23 AM
    Reserve and collect... or free delivery!

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand - I've read very good reports of people ringing BlackBerry about problems with their PlayBook in the UK, and from what's been said, it was sorted pretty quickly without much fuss. I guess you lose nothing - and if it still puts you off, you don't have to go through with it.

The rapid charger is still a good idea, though! As well as 2 for my own PlayBooks, I got one for the olds, as I couldn't be sure, even after advising them (and they did do it, in fairness) to blob some white paint on the upper side of the USB charger plug, so they don't try and plug it in the wrong way 'round.
    04-17-13 11:27 AM
    My son's 16gb just came back from repair. It looks like they just replaced it free of charge. I don't see a bill in the box and I didn't provide any credit card information for the repair.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-24-13 10:47 AM