why would the beta version change anything in the wifi for?
    i enjoy my playbook but you "fan boys" are irritating.
    there seems to be a number of people who have wifi issues.
    Wifi issues which have mostly been solved with a little patience and polite respectful requests for help.
    Use beta software at your own risk - and don't expect it to work right.
    AggreX and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-05-12 10:41 AM
    Have you ever heard of drivers?

Hello?
    01-05-12 10:46 AM
    agreed. this is not the only forum on the net regarding PB. Lots of us have had issues with the wifi of this device. I just purchased another tablet, a Kindle Fire..NO issue with wifi streaming. Streamed Superman from start to finish w/out a glitch. My PB stops anywhere from 15-55 minutes into anything I have tried. It then freezes the entire browser that I have to X out and open a new browser. I am waiting on an RA# for two days now. Shop BB is the worst store (online or otherswise) that I have ever dealt with.
    01-05-12 11:04 AM
    I've used my 16GB PB with free wifi in Vancouver and Calgary airports. Connected just fine and never had any problems.
    01-05-12 11:06 AM
    No trouble here. In fact when I bought it in July it was in a different town. I wanted to play with my new toy so I went to Burger King and got a coke, sat there and did the setup and install without a hitch. Since then I have had a little trouble with some hotspots but it has been because I was in the parking lot too far away.

Side note. I wish people would state what OS they are using or put it in their profile. A lot of the problems on here lately end up back at "oh you're using the beta, would've helped to know that in the first place".
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-05-12 11:37 AM
    If you take a few seconds to look around in the forum, then you'll notice several posts about the two beta versions we've been testing already. In those threads, you'll notice Wifi is one of the most active subject, with various pro and cons, depending of each configuration or situation the PB is used. (that long crappy sentence to state : YES there's difference regarding wifi for each OS revision, being it beta or not)

In fact, the latest official release has been often granted with a better wifi capability, when the first OS 2 beta had a bad reputation on this side. Latest OS 2 beta had improvements on that matter, but it does not mean it's perfect; it's just ... developer beta.

Personnaly, if found the latest OS2 beta far much efficient (globally) and particularly regarding Wifi and WPS association. I've had no trouble pairing into various hotspots.

For the OP particular problem,
    1/ I'll have a look at my file sharing settings, as it seems impossible for some to connect to open wifi hotspots if they didn't set a password protection for the share (wich makes sense but could be documented somehow in the warning message of the file sharing setup).
    2/ I'll delete any previously recorded Wifi connexion (except those that actually work), moreover if they've been set prior upgrading to beta.
    PS: Both of these advices have been previously stated in this thread
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-05-12 at 11:45 AM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-05-12 11:40 AM
    When I went to the US when I had OS1.7 I was able to connect normally to ATT wiFi at Washington DC airport, also was able to use the Public WiFi from Florida mall provided by Simon.

Also Marriott Orlando. Never had a WiFi issue with my PlayBook
    01-05-12 11:56 AM
    Could we please focus on the PlayBook?
    01-05-12 12:05 PM
    Just to stick in my two cents...

I'm on the 2.0.6xxx developer preview, and to be honest I find the WiFi works better on this version than any of the others I've been on.

BUT, I also find the connection goes sideways on occasion. This includes situations where I'm joining a new network. Cycling WiFi off/on has done the trick for me pretty much every time.

OT (a bit), I notice that at McDonald's they do things a little bit differently--it's actually a push notification that pops up when you first come in range. I wish all public WiFi worked as seamlessly as theirs.
    01-05-12 03:28 PM
    I got a a pretty similar issue with my 9930. I always get a "failed to authenticate network" or some nonsense like that when trying to hook up to various encrypted WiFi's (i beleive its WPA2 thats causing the issue, or was it WEP). Stupid as all these sort of issues exist in 2011/2012.
    01-05-12 04:05 PM
    no problems login on a hotel wifi and an sport complex wifi either. it's worth mentionning that neither one of them redirected me to their webpage to accept a disclaimer. I think this is were my problem arised from originally. I'll be using the same Hotspot tomorow afternoon and will try to find a solution again...
    01-09-12 12:41 PM
    Response from the OP:

In my defense, I posted this topic under duress. I was facing an imminent departure for a extended overseas gig that would leave me far from the Office Depot at which I purchased my PB 32GB. Furthermore, I was on day 13 of my 14 day return period with OD, so I sought to deliberately provoke a repsonse in the hope that I could solve the problem quickly and avoid returning my PB.

The fact is that, even before I discovered the ultimate solution, I had decided to give the PB the benefit of the doubt and went out and bought a second unit for my wife as a control/reference point. Then, after testing that unit under OS 1.xx (and finding it worked flawlessly in all the situations where my unit wouldn't), I sought to isolate the source of my own PB's problem.

First step was to downgrade the unit back to OS 1.xx. Immediately the wifi began working again in all of the previously innaccessible public wifi locations. I then read about the wifi sharing password parameter that was mentioned later in this thread (see, my ploy worked!) and spent another few hours re-upgrading back to OS2 and re-testing the wifi again at those same locations.

The good news is that it worked, and I ended up taking both PBs - plus a pair of rapid chargers and a bluetooth keyboard - along with me to my current location in the Indian Ocean. Rather than abandoning my beloved PB, I doubled-down on my investment and now own two of them. I look forward to upgrading them both to the very exciting sounding OS 2.0 final once it's released in February, and I'm even considering getting a BB handset just to be able to bridge when away from wifi, etc.

So, call me a believer...I had my moment of doubt/weakness, but I ultimately kept the faith and am now quite happy I did. :-)

RCK
    black hole likes this.
    01-09-12 02:02 PM
    i had the same problem, just the other day in Maui. i looked around and some one said i should delete all my saved wifi connections, and i did worked great havent had a problem since.
    01-09-12 02:27 PM
    Response from the OP:

In my defense, I posted this topic under duress. I was facing an imminent departure for a extended overseas gig that would leave me far from the Office Depot at which I purchased my PB 32GB. Furthermore, I was on day 13 of my 14 day return period with OD, so I sought to deliberately provoke a repsonse in the hope that I could solve the problem quickly and avoid returning my PB.

The fact is that, even before I discovered the ultimate solution, I had decided to give the PB the benefit of the doubt and went out and bought a second unit for my wife as a control/reference point. Then, after testing that unit under OS 1.xx (and finding it worked flawlessly in all the situations where my unit wouldn't), I sought to isolate the source of my own PB's problem.

First step was to downgrade the unit back to OS 1.xx. Immediately the wifi began working again in all of the previously innaccessible public wifi locations. I then read about the wifi sharing password parameter that was mentioned later in this thread (see, my ploy worked!) and spent another few hours re-upgrading back to OS2 and re-testing the wifi again at those same locations.

The good news is that it worked, and I ended up taking both PBs - plus a pair of rapid chargers and a bluetooth keyboard - along with me to my current location in the Indian Ocean. Rather than abandoning my beloved PB, I doubled-down on my investment and now own two of them. I look forward to upgrading them both to the very exciting sounding OS 2.0 final once it's released in February, and I'm even considering getting a BB handset just to be able to bridge when away from wifi, etc.

So, call me a believer...I had my moment of doubt/weakness, but I ultimately kept the faith and am now quite happy I did. :-)

RCK
    Seriously, you really could have simply asked for help and given the background to your situation instead of deliberately trying to provoke a response with an inflamatory post title that could have been derailed and got the thread closed down. I think you would have found the help that you needed.
    01-09-12 02:47 PM
    I'm glad to see it all worked out.
    01-09-12 02:48 PM
    When i first turned on my playbook, it asked me to accept the certificate. I did. after thinkering with settings at one point i got the Hotspot page. I thought i was in! WRONG! I tried clicking on the English button but nothing happened. I tried deleting all the saved wifi connections but that failed also... I never saw the HOTSPOT page again!
    01-10-12 08:29 PM
    On various occaisions i copied to the clipboard technical info that I though could be usefull... however, getting that info into a document that i could post here is another mystery!
    01-10-12 08:31 PM
    OP: Glad you figured it out.

I bought two PBs. One that is stable with OS1 and I have another one for tinkering around with such as OS2.0, development and rooting. I usually bring my OS1 tablet around when travelling and was able to successfully connect at Newark, Denver, and San Fran airports respectively. Worked like a charm and everybody at the airports were curious about my PB/BB combo.
    01-10-12 09:00 PM
    I don't find the title of the thread objectionable--just describes the OP's experience.

With both version 1 and the latest beta 2 of the OS, I have had no trouble connecting to Wifi. No scientific study, just home and office and random cafes; but it has been working for me, so I think the radio is sound.
    01-10-12 10:34 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD