I've been using my PB for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed that I can never connect to public WiFi hotspots. I've tried Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, Home Depot, etc. The only public "open" WiFi I seem to be able to connect to is McDonald's.

The Symptoms: The PB "sees" the network, and even shows full bars when inside the establishments. However, the bars remain "grayed" and all attempts to connect to the network fail.

Note: WiFi works fine at home (DLink using WPA-personal, and it also worked when staying at Hampton Inn in Orlando the other week. However, the inability to connect to some of the more common hot spot types is rather distressing.

Very frustrated and wondering if this is a configuration issue or if I have a bad PB.

Note: I'm running the OS2 dev preview version 6149.

Anyone with any ideas?

RCK
    01-03-12 03:42 PM
    I am runnig OS2 6149 and have no issues. Walking through the Winnipeg Airport last week, connected without issues and after accepting their connection policy with the browser I was streaming the Canada Juniors game on TSN within seconds.

Sorry I don't have a solution for your problem but know that it should work.
    01-03-12 03:48 PM
    Yep, you have to accept the disclaimers/rules of engagement that many free wi-fi hotspots ask for; there should be a button or tab in the lower left corner when you try to sign on.
    01-03-12 03:57 PM
    You don't understand. I never get to the point of loading a web browser or accepting any sort of agreement (a process I've completed thousands of times on various platforms). The WiFi settings panel simply refuses to connect (attempt 1 of 3, etc.)

I never get online at all - just "greyed" (but full - just not green) bars on the signal strength indicator. When I touch one of the listed networks, it attempts to connect and then shows a red "X" and reports that it "failed to connect to the network."

This is consistent across a variet of public hotspots. Again, only McDonald's seems to work.

I've got 24 hours remaining to dump my playbook and go back to Android. I need a solution or it's adios PB... :-(

RCK
    01-03-12 04:07 PM
    Well then you may as well dump it and get the 'rrhoid. God speed.

Oh, and one last thing, that Beta OS is really the problem.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-03-12 at 04:13 PM.
    01-03-12 04:10 PM
    Reboot device. Open your home network temporarily or use guest mode in your home router if available. Test and post results. It'd be unfair to return it after using a beta version of the OS.
    01-03-12 04:11 PM
    I ran the beta and the official OS releases with no issues using public hotspots. But I will say this. I am one of the few unlucky ones with the growing bulge on the back of the playbook at the logo. I know the newest ones come with the slightest one (confirmed by 2 different people at RIM RMA) but the older ones are not suppose to have it. No way to tell if one is older or newer, some sat on shelves for a long time. But the point is as my bulge grows my wifi is getting slower and slower and I think it would just die. For anyone reading this if you are unsure its easy to tell, watch a online video for 30 min if the temp on the back is OK (a little warm but nothing really) its all OK. BUT, f it is more than a little warm it might be a good idea to have it looked into. I have the Fed Ex truck on its way right now with a return box for mine.

I'm a tech for a living for 20 years so I'm not guessing. Its a small issue with the heatsink separating, or maybe having too much or not enough paste but its real.

Brought it up as maybe you have a faulty unit?
    01-03-12 04:59 PM
    I've had the same issue. Tap on the saved networks option under Wi-Fi and delete the network. Try again.

If that doesn't work double click on the network so you can edit the settings. Make sure the following are the default settings and then click Save and Connect:

Enable Profile: (checked)
    Security Type: Open
    VPN Profiles: None Selected
    Dual Band: Dual (Unless you know the specific band used by the router)
    Automatically Obtain IP Address: (checked)
    Enable IPv6: (unchecked)
    Use HTTP Proxy: (unchecked)
    Allow Inter-Access Point Handover (checked)

This usually lets me connect to public Wi-Fi.
    rrrebo likes this.
    01-03-12 05:04 PM
    I decided to "double down" on my Playbook investment. I just picked-up a 16GB model at the Sprint store (still on sale for $199.00 through 1/7/11, so hurry!). I'm going to test both units side by side - the 32GB unit with OS2 Beta and the 16GB with the stock OS (updated to most current version). If the new unit connects and the old one won't, I'll try wiping OS2 and downgrading back to stock. If that doesn't work - with all settings identical - I'll return the 32GB unit and soldier on with the lesser PB/share with wife.

Either way, I'll post my results here. Stay tuned...

Note: The Sprint guys were really great - let me test the new unit on their wifi, etc. Also big fans of the PB - definitely the best unsubsidized tablet deal. And no, they have no plans to stop offerin the PB. In fact, they're anticipating the OS2 update in Feb (like everyone here). And yes, the prices go up at the end of the week, so grab your PB while you can!

RCK
    01-03-12 05:30 PM
    And BTW, I set-up my wife's PB in less than 30 mins from start to update (360+MB download) to ready for action. This over a 20Mbps cable connection (xfinity). So all the haters who claim it takes "hours" to update are doing something very wrong.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this...

RCK
    black hole likes this.
    01-03-12 05:44 PM
    I also set up my PB 32G in less than 30min and have absolutely no issues thus far....
    01-03-12 06:03 PM
    sounds like this may be an issue with the operator and not the equipment lol i say go get a android device since they are trouble free devices...or so ive been told.lol
    01-03-12 06:21 PM
    As the original poster states, i can "connect" to the hotspot. The green bars are visible and the hotspot name is displayed. However, the browser page doesn't load therefore, I can't accept the terms and actually connect. I verified the settings as previously mentionned and they are setup as suggested. Still can't log on... Also, worth mentionning, I can't log on the hotspot with my bb bold either!
    01-03-12 06:27 PM
    I ran the beta and the official OS releases with no issues using public hotspots. But I will say this. I am one of the few unlucky ones with the growing bulge on the back of the playbook at the logo. I know the newest ones come with the slightest one (confirmed by 2 different people at RIM RMA) but the older ones are not suppose to have it. No way to tell if one is older or newer, some sat on shelves for a long time. But the point is as my bulge grows my wifi is getting slower and slower and I think it would just die. For anyone reading this if you are unsure its easy to tell, watch a online video for 30 min if the temp on the back is OK (a little warm but nothing really) its all OK. BUT, f it is more than a little warm it might be a good idea to have it looked into. I have the Fed Ex truck on its way right now with a return box for mine.

I'm a tech for a living for 20 years so I'm not guessing. Its a small issue with the heatsink separating, or maybe having too much or not enough paste but its real.

Brought it up as maybe you have a faulty unit?
    Off topic, but are you using the cradle charger? I notice when I use that it seems to concentrate the heat on the back in one small area, which could warp the casing. I'm thinking it acts as a heat sink and funnels all the heat out at that one point.

No public wifi issues here by the way, but certainly encounter problems when uploading or downloading large files on some crappy public networks.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 06:37 PM.
    01-03-12 06:32 PM
    sounds like this may be an issue with the operator and not the equipment lol i say go get a android device since they are trouble free devices...or so ive been told.lol
    what kind of crap answer is this? if you have nothing more constructive to say, save the bandwidth. It wastes the time of those who actually want to help.

to the op, i look forward to you findings.
    01-03-12 06:35 PM
    And BTW, I set-up my wife's PB in less than 30 mins from start to update (360+MB download) to ready for action. This over a 20Mbps cable connection (xfinity). So all the haters who claim it takes "hours" to update are doing something very wrong.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this...

RCK
    Not nice to call people "haters" just because they are having trouble doing the required initial update of the Playbook's software. I had no trouble initializing my Playbook, but have had similar issues to those described with devices in the past. If for any reason the new device settings need to be tweaked to work properly with your Wifi, but you cannot do that because the update is first required, well, you figure it out...
    01-03-12 06:39 PM
    known beta issue. go back to the official build, rather than blaming the device
    01-03-12 07:05 PM
    Going back to 6067 fixed the wifi issues. Also nice to have spell check again. Unfortunately, my Logitech bluetooth keyboard now refuses to stay connected (another known issue). Grrrr!

OS2 can't get here soon enough! :-(

RCK
    01-03-12 09:47 PM
    Do you have File sharing or WIFI sharing enabled under settings? If enabled, add a password under password protect (one of the storage options). This, BTW, is not the same device password. I couldn't connect to public WIFI locations until I password protected storage....

Stephen
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-03-12 10:21 PM
    OS2 is a developer beta that is not feature complete. Unless you are developing apps for the PB you should probably stick with the release OS. If you want to experiment with the beta, that's fine but you should expect some missing features or unstable operation.

Please don't come onto the forum complaining that you are going to "dump" the PB because the development beta OS is not working the way you want. And please do not use a very misleading title to the forum topic. That can confuse visitors to the forum who do not have a PB or do not read deeply enough to see you are playing with a development beta.

FYI, the 1.08 OS works fine with all Wifi systems I have encountered including public systems in stores and hotels. It is fast and has a robust and stable connection.

Cheers!
    kbz1960 and Hgouck like this.
    01-03-12 10:35 PM
    As the original poster states, i can "connect" to the hotspot. The green bars are visible and the hotspot name is displayed. However, the browser page doesn't load therefore, I can't accept the terms and actually connect. I verified the settings as previously mentionned and they are setup as suggested. Still can't log on... Also, worth mentionning, I can't log on the hotspot with my bb bold either!
    Try opening a new tab and going somewhere simple, like google.com. Usually when I do that, it will pick up the registration page. If I try to reuse tabs that were already open, it doesn't seem to intercept it.
    01-03-12 10:37 PM
    When i first posted yesterday, i was on my friends playbook. Today i'm using my own fresh out of the box. When i first started it, it automatically updated to OS 1.0.8.6067. So did my friends PB. I'm at home right now and it connects fine. It suggests that it could be a Hotspot, i connect and no problems. I'll be heading to hotels and various public places over the weekend. I'll be testing some more with the suggestions that were posted Thanks!
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-04-12 07:15 PM
    why would the beta version change anything in the wifi for?
    i enjoy my playbook but you "fan boys" are irritating.
    there seems to be a number of people who have wifi issues.
    01-04-12 08:57 PM
    calling people names is not an effective way to communicate with others and get help.
    01-05-12 07:34 AM
    So you've compared the wifi files from both versions to see that there is no difference or are you just speculating? It's not just a beta, but a Dev Beta, designed for devs to test their Android apps in the AP. We have no info on the origins and overall content of this beta. Is it 1.0.8 with new components added? Is it anolder build than what the official OS2 is being built on? Was it only developed enough to be an AP testbed?

There's a reason they give so many warnings and disclaimers on the sign-up page, it 's not designed for perfect daily use and if you still choose to, you should expect there might be problems. It's not a fanboy issue, but logic. I would say the same if another platform put out a dev beta for a particular test purpose.

If this were an actual beta for testing a new OS, it would be a different story.
    AggreX, anon(757282) and kbz1960 like this.
    01-05-12 10:38 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD