I want it simply so I don't have to switch to the other keyboard mode just to add an apostrophe. that's annoying, and slow.
    I agree, the easier and more efficient the better.
    01-23-12 10:48 PM
    i find the texts i get from iphone users to be quite hilarious.

No i do not want predictive text.
    01-23-12 10:49 PM
    I like the idea of it.
    But it doesn't work that well on PB.

I would like to have it, but have the option to turn it off, like on the handheld.
    01-23-12 11:00 PM
    I find that it's pretty helpful. Those clamouring for it can use it and those that likes to type every word correctly can just turn it off. Options are always better than not having them.
    01-23-12 11:01 PM
    Yes please! I'm thoroughly tired of backing up for apostrophes or common misspellings like teh. Glad it will similar to the Android-style as opposed to the iOS implementation-- there's a reason 90% of those hilarious "Damn You Autocorrect"s come from iPhones.
    01-23-12 11:08 PM
    I find I prefer the keyboard without predictive text.

What do others feel about it: Yes or No?
    Ugh, no. It's only worked on certain Android keyboards (which have always been third-party) and huge amounts of feedback on the part of the part of the user that has resulted in very little development progress. Just...no.
    kubernetes likes this.
    01-23-12 11:23 PM
    predictive keyboard? YEAH!!!
    01-23-12 11:57 PM
    I personally like it, currently you can turn off predictive text as one option, anther option is to turn off auto correct (if you turn off predictive text, auto correct is removed too). If you turn off both, you still get auto capitalization for start of sentences.

BTW, sorry for the spelling mistakes, i have auto correct off to try it out
    Last edited by blue-b; 01-24-12 at 12:23 AM.
    01-24-12 12:21 AM
    Predictive on the OS2 beta is awesome, i really like the way the words are lined up on top of the keyboard for you to choose, it really works well and makes typing a breeze!
    01-24-12 07:03 AM
    Absolute no no for me. I totally hate it. I might use spell check.

I myself never know what my next word will be, if any. How could a machine help me?
    01-24-12 07:16 AM
    Best to have all the options readily available with the chance of turning it off when not need.

Just like the last post though, I would use spell check but not predictive text.

Cheers
    01-24-12 07:20 AM
    I myself never know what my next word will be, if any. How could a machine help me?
    I think one way is that, once you figure out the word, it may already be shown there. Or, once you type a letter or two, it may appear. Then you can save yourself the effort of typing the additional letters.

I haven't found it very helpful with short words, where I can finish typing them faster than I can recognize the word in the predictions, but for longer words it appears to give me a net speedup.

Also, even for short words, if I've mistyped something something the correct spelling may still be shown above. I can then select it rather than having to carefully edit the specific mistake or hit delete a lot of times and retype.

The jury's still out for me though... I'm waiting till 2.0 release to make any conclusions about it.
    01-25-12 12:15 PM
    I'm having a blast making random predictive text posts:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ost-go-690471/

However, for daily use, I tend to ignore the suggestions as I'm pecking out a word. It takes just as long to stop my typing and scan and insert a word as it does to simply type it. I am finding that it is slowly learning the technical terms I type and they are now popping up as choices.

No, auto-capitalization is the bigger annoyance. It keeps capitalizing my e-mail address and every time I spell 'labour', regardless of the word location in the sentence. Definite nuisance there.
    01-25-12 03:34 PM
    Yes. Comes it handy and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I just typed this out using it and I enjoyed it
    01-25-12 04:01 PM
    It's not just predictive text the keyboard is currently lacking... auto-capetlisation and a myriad of other ease-of-use features are also absent, and it makes typing on the PlayBook a very frustrating experience.
    But it's not lacking if you're on the beta. Auto-correct was sorely missing - glad that is finally included. Why they didn't have it from the beginning is bewildering.

It works very well. I rarely use predictive, but like the way it scrolls on a ribbon at the top of the keyboard. Doesn't block much of the screen and gives you an unobtrusive way of choosing to use it or not, even if you leave it enabled. It took me about a week to even realize it was there. I saw the words I was thinking magically appear over my fingers
    raymond and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-25-12 04:02 PM
    I'm having a blast making random predictive text posts:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ost-go-690471/

However, for daily use, I tend to ignore the suggestions as I'm pecking out a word. It takes just as long to stop my typing and scan and insert a word as it does to simply type it. I am finding that it is slowly learning the technical terms I type and they are now popping up as choices.

No, auto-capitalization is the bigger annoyance. It keeps capitalizing my e-mail address and every time I spell 'labour', regardless of the word location in the sentence. Definite nuisance there.
    I've found that after correcting my email address a couple of times it's started to remember the correct (lower case version) and offering it as a prediction - so meaning that you don't have to correct it, just select it from the offered words...

But it definitely takes longer for me to scan for the word along the bar than type the thing to start with.
    01-25-12 04:17 PM
    I like it and can see it getting more useful as I get used to it and find the best way to incorporate it. It saves some typing time, but can feel disjointed as I try to type enough of the word to get it to show up while watching instead of just typing the word outright. Finding the right balance is key. But overall, an awesome implementation, IMO.
    01-25-12 04:39 PM
    That's because you're spelling it wrong PB knows this so it thinks your talking about the political party. Sheesh, don't know why the English and you Canucks can't learn to spell right.
    01-25-12 04:46 PM
    ... but it doesn't auto capitalize 'colour' (which comes up correctly spelled as a predictive choice)... assumes it's the Labour party or Labour Day or something...

To quote Russell Peters as an American making fun of British spelling and speaking:

"I don't know what language you're speaking Jeeves, but here, I'm speaking English!"

Cheers,
    01-25-12 05:20 PM
    I have to say, I'm REALLY liking the predictive kb on the beta.

Extremely unobtrusive, easy to ignore, but I'm probably using suggestions 40% of the time.

Favorite feature: if you've added a predicted word, there's an auto-space after it, but if you add punctuation, that space is removed. Brilliant.
    01-25-12 05:45 PM
    But it's not lacking if you're on the beta. Auto-correct was sorely missing - glad that is finally included. Why they didn't have it from the beginning is bewildering.

It works very well. I rarely use predictive, but like the way it scrolls on a ribbon at the top of the keyboard. Doesn't block much of the screen and gives you an unobtrusive way of choosing to use it or not, even if you leave it enabled. It took me about a week to even realize it was there. I saw the words I was thinking magically appear over my fingers
    Im ON the BETA, latest version as of a week or so ago, auto-capitalize generally doesnt work.
    01-26-12 12:44 PM
    Favorite feature: if you've added a predicted word, there's an auto-space after it, but if you add punctuation, that space is removed. Brilliant.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even think to try it. I've been slightly irritated that I thought I had to backspace to add punctuation.

The more I use it, the more irritated I get that my PC doesn't have this...
    01-26-12 02:22 PM
    I probably won't be using it, so I hope there is an option to turn it off.
    01-26-12 02:25 PM
    The more I use it, the more amazing it is. After responding to an email where I had to start typing in many of the words I wanted to get them to show up, the next time I started a similar reply it had all the words lined up in first slot.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-26-12 06:54 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD