I find I prefer the keyboard without predictive text.

What do others feel about it: Yes or No?
    01-17-12 08:02 AM
    It's not just predictive text the keyboard is currently lacking... auto-capetlisation and a myriad of other ease-of-use features are also absent, and it makes typing on the PlayBook a very frustrating experience.
    Mikey_T, dave1701 and artie like this.
    01-17-12 08:04 AM
    I don't like predictive text either ... nor do I like auto-correct. I confess, however, that I've found auto-capitalization on my BB 9800 to be very handy.
    01-17-12 08:06 AM
    I'm kinda' looking forward to it myself.
    collapsed, bbfan1040 and dave1701 like this.
    01-17-12 08:08 AM
    I like the option
    I used it a lot when I had WinMo 5 phones,
    Chances of me using it are slim to none as my BlackBerry will be my tool for answering emails most of the time,
    ( just last night, I connected my laptop to my Hotel Room TV via HDMI leaving my outlook open, as emails came in I glanced up at the TV to see who emailed me, put down my playbook and used my BB to reply all devices within arm reach, I will pick my BlackBerry
    mariobastros likes this.
    It's not just predictive text the keyboard is currently lacking... auto-capetlisation and a myriad of other ease-of-use features are also absent, and it makes typing on the PlayBook a very frustrating experience.
    I find predictive text a pita on my 9810.

Auto-Caps is an asset.

I'm enjoying typing on PB mostly due to no predictive text.
    I find predictive text a pita on my 9810.

Auto-Caps is an asset.

I'm enjoying typing on PB mostly due to no predictive text.
    Yes, auto-caps is an assets, hence why the PlayBook not having a working implementation drives me nuts.
    01-17-12 08:10 AM
    Never having used the predictive text feature that will be in PlayBook OS 2.0, I find it hard to say whether I'll like it or not... I'm not assuming it will act exactly like any others we might have used.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-17-12 08:10 AM
    I don't like predictive text either ... nor do I like auto-correct. I confess, however, that I've found auto-capitalization on my BB 9800 to be very handy.
    Auto-correct is another peeve.

Often I may use old English spelling and believe I should not have to rely on a program to spell.

I'm lazy enough as it is.
    01-17-12 08:15 AM
    I want it simply so I don't have to switch to the other keyboard mode just to add an apostrophe. that's annoying, and slow.
    artie, jvictor77, tabulus and 1 others like this.
    01-17-12 08:16 AM
    I want it simply so I don't have to switch to the other keyboard mode just to add an apostrophe. that's annoying, and slow.
    This is another good point.
    01-17-12 08:18 AM
    I loathe autocorrect on full QWERTY devices, but the way it looks to be implemented on the PB seems very inobtrusive, so I will see how I like it. I type way too many non-standard words and I do not appreciate having other words "suggested" to me, especially if it's in a durned annoying popup.

Autotext, including the built-in BB typing shortcuts, however, is a must-have. I miss it terribly and cannot wait for OS 2.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 01-17-12 at 08:21 AM.
    01-17-12 08:18 AM
    Auto-correct is another peeve.

Often I may use correct English spelling and believe I should not have to rely on a program to spell.

I'm lazy enough as it is.

I spend the first few days adding words to my dictionary so I don't get them highlighted as incorrect words because I too prefer to type in the correct English most of the time.
    01-17-12 08:19 AM
    I loathe autocorrect on full QWERTY devices, but the way it looks to be implemented on the PB seems very inobtrusive, so I will see how I like it.

Autotext, including the built-in BB typing shortcuts, however, is a must-have. I miss it terribly and cannot wait for OS 2.

I'm using os2 beta and it's a definite improvement over 1.8.

From what I've seen of os2's February pre-release demo's, it will be a dramatic overhaul compared to os2 beta.
    Thunderbuck and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-17-12 08:24 AM
    I can't wait to try the buttons at the top of the pb keyboard to input often-used words with one touch...as shown on CES video
    Bob31464 and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-17-12 08:24 AM
    I'm definitely looking forward to it!
    01-17-12 08:47 AM
    Looking forward to it and hope to ignore it when it is not required.

I also look forward to having a spell-check operation on my email after I've composed it like on my BB phone.
    01-17-12 10:51 AM
    Just based on what I've seen I like the way the predictive text is implemented in 2.0. I won't know for certain until I use the new keyboard but it seems pretty unobtrusive which is how it should be. If there is an option to turn it off that will be gravy since I don't use predictive text on any device.
    01-17-12 12:31 PM
    Never tried it before but am optimistic. Looks pretty cool.
    01-17-12 12:40 PM
    I want it. Really cant stand typing on my PB.
    01-17-12 01:45 PM
    I'm hoping there is an option to turn it off. I don't really think it'd be that beneficial for me.
    01-17-12 02:09 PM
    The way predictive text appears to be implemented in 2.0 should make it easier to use than it is on a BB phone. Because they are using a ribbon that displays the suggested words above the keyboard but not in-line with the text in the data entry form, you can type away all you want and never hide what you are typing - and if you want to select an entire word, you just tap on it without losing your cursor location, etc.. Also, it appeared in the demo video I watched that the predictive text is not just limited to a suggested word but entire phrases - it was predicting the word(s) to follow the currently typed word, which I though was pretty cool.
    01-17-12 02:17 PM
    Also, it appeared in the demo video I watched that the predictive text is not just limited to a suggested word but entire phrases - it was predicting the word(s) to follow the currently typed word, which I though was pretty cool.
    It's implemented pretty much identical to SwiftKey (an Android keyboard). Swiftkey will pull in all your emails, Twitter, and FB, as well as text messages, and analyze your texting and grammar style, and then present you with "options" as you type as to what your next word will be. Same thing, hit the space bar to insert a word. Some people find it quite useful and are able to type whole sentences with only hitting the space key.

Personally, I used it, but it's not my style. I just like to bang out my sentences and have my spelling or typing errors corrected, rather than staring at the "suggestions" and then choosing the next word I want to insert. As I said though, it works well, and lots of people love it, but it's not for me.
    swiftex likes this.
    01-17-12 02:25 PM
    I find I prefer the keyboard without predictive text.

What do others feel about it: Yes or No?
    I love predictive text, auto correct and if the PB will learn my words, I want it
    ALL!!!!
    01-17-12 05:26 PM
    I love predictive text, auto correct and if the PB will learn my words, I want it
    ALL!!!!
    You are one sick puppy, hehehe...
    01-17-12 05:36 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD